Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an interview for Anthropology in a couple of weeks and i was wondering what type of questions are likely to be asked. this is my first interview and i'm quite nervous about it.
    I'm actually on my gap year at the moment and last year i did terribly on my exams and got BCD but still i got an interview from Goldsmith and i want to make sure i'm fully prepared cause i really have no room for mistakes etc
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Um I didn't have an interview there, but maybe think about your interests in anthropology - what part of the subject do you like and why, what do you like in particular about the course at Goldsmiths, what do you like to do in your free time, how did your A levels relate to anthropology.

This is from their site:

Selection process

"We make offers based on your enthusiasm and commitment to your subject, as shown by your application form and personal statement, qualifications, experience and reference. We’ve shown the typical GCE A-level grades at the top of each entry for guidance, but the actual grades we’ll ask for are decided by a combination of factors, including your interview performance and the demand for places. The grades that we stipulate will vary from degree to degree, from one applicant to another, and from year to year. We like to select students ourselves, rather than leaving it to the examiners, so it’s not uncommon for students to be admitted with slightly lower grades than those indicated in their offer. Teaching problems or illness can significantly affect your examination performance, so we will take these into account in our selection if your head teacher, tutor, doctor or other relevant person writes to the Admissions Office immediately, without waiting for results to be published. We invite some applicants for interview, while sometimes we reject applications without interview because we feel we already have sufficient information to make an informed decision about their suitability for a degree. We frequently interview mature applicants (over 21) or those with alternative qualifications.

If you are coming from overseas, we will try to be flexible about interview dates. We may also be able to arrange an interview overseas, or a telephone interview. Please contact the International Office (e-mail [email protected] or tel. +44 (0)20 7919 7702) for details."

Their standard offer is BBB, so I would suggest you impress them with a bit of outside reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Um I didn't have an interview there, but maybe think about your interests in anthropology - what part of the subject do you like and why, what do you like in particular about the course at Goldsmiths, what do you like to do in your free time, how did your A levels relate to anthropology.

This is from their site:

Selection process

"We make offers based on your enthusiasm and commitment to your subject, as shown by your application form and personal statement, qualifications, experience and reference. We’ve shown the typical GCE A-level grades at the top of each entry for guidance, but the actual grades we’ll ask for are decided by a combination of factors, including your interview performance and the demand for places. The grades that we stipulate will vary from degree to degree, from one applicant to another, and from year to year. We like to select students ourselves, rather than leaving it to the examiners, so it’s not uncommon for students to be admitted with slightly lower grades than those indicated in their offer. Teaching problems or illness can significantly affect your examination performance, so we will take these into account in our selection if your head teacher, tutor, doctor or other relevant person writes to the Admissions Office immediately, without waiting for results to be published. We invite some applicants for interview, while sometimes we reject applications without interview because we feel we already have sufficient information to make an informed decision about their suitability for a degree. We frequently interview mature applicants (over 21) or those with alternative qualifications.

If you are coming from overseas, we will try to be flexible about interview dates. We may also be able to arrange an interview overseas, or a telephone interview. Please contact the International Office (e-mail [email protected] or tel. +44 (0)20 7919 7702) for details."

Their standard offer is BBB, so I would suggest you impress them with a bit of outside reading?
    Thanks for the quick response
    I am actually terrified that they want to interview me just to see how delusional i am...i think that's a bit too much paranoia.
    Do you have any reading suggestions? I've read a little like Daniel Miller's 'The Comfort of Things' and introductory books on anthropology.
    I should really ask what the interview experiance is like at the uni. Again thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sk1)
    Thanks for the quick response
    I am actually terrified that they want to interview me just to see how delusional i am...i think that's a bit too much paranoia.
    Do you have any reading suggestions? I've read a little like Daniel Miller's 'The Comfort of Things' and introductory books on anthropology.
    I should really ask what the interview experiance is like at the uni. Again thanks
    You could read something like 'Small places, large issues' by Erikson... but that's what everyone reads, and is quite textbook-y. Maybe something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Questions-An...4206640&sr=8-1
    Im working through it now and its really fascinating - it brings the 'big questions' back to the focus of anthropology.

But the interview might not be very academic at all... I just don't know - why not email them and ask them what the interview will be like? I'm sure they will be happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied to Goldsmiths to do Antropology starting in 2011. Did you apply last year or this year?

I've not heard from them yet and am wondering if they would interview me this year or next.

ReputationRep:
    I applied this year, you should be hearing from this year i guess. My friends who have deferred to 2010 entry all had their interviews in the year they applied. Hope this helps Waiting for uni replies is just one long waiting game :I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyingSolo)
    Hi, I've applied to Goldsmiths to do Antropology starting in 2011. Did you apply last year or this year?

I've not heard from them yet and am wondering if they would interview me this year or next.
    As you have to choose your firm/insurance on the year of application they're going to have to interview you this year rather than next year

ReputationRep:
    Hey SK1,

Was in your exact predicament last year - did awful at college and was already at the otherside of the world when applying to university volunteering with VSO/british council.

Had applied for anthropology BA and anthropology BA + foundation year (leading to the 3-year BA after passing foundation.)

Didn't really know what to expect, and the english written anthropology literature in bangladesh was pretty minimal... one or two books, so i relied wholly on a few articles on the internet that i had read for a bit of conversation topic with one of the lecturers in the anth. department.
    the best advice that i would give you personally is: go into the interview brave, show an interest in yourself and others (or global affairs??), be honest and go into detail about your own particular interests (be they academic or not...it doesnt matter) and if you can - take in a couple of pieces of your own written work so the person who is interviewing you can read through them if they want to.

i had an hour long interview, which i would describe less of an interview and more of an interesting talk with somebody incredibly intelligent. my interview was on the 12th march, where they asked me to write 2 short essays. i sent these to them as requested by email and shortly after they gave me an unconditional offer for both of my applications.

almost a year down the line, im sat in the library writing some essays - which despite my procrastination on this forum, i do find very interesting. result!

make sure its what you want to do, and youll fly through the 'interview'. see you in a couple of months if so!

piers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.