Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

CANT DECIDE: Exeter or Newcastle? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've applied for V100 history at both exeter and history, but cant decide which- both have their pros and cons!

Exeter- the course is far better, ranked 10th in the good uni guide. plus the weather is much nicer too, its a greener campus. BUT i hear the social scene is fairly dull...

Newcastle- its such a great city, said to be the best for nightlife, and i already have some friends and family there who love it...yet the course is ranked in the 30s for the good uni guide.

Which one? I dont know how good Newcastle's history department really is, nor am I sure the nighlife in Exeter is buzzing!?????

???????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlichatterbox)
    Hi,
    I've applied for V100 history at both exeter and history, but cant decide which- both have their pros and cons!

Exeter- the course is far better, ranked 10th in the good uni guide. plus the weather is much nicer too, its a greener campus. BUT i hear the social scene is fairly dull...

Newcastle- its such a great city, said to be the best for nightlife, and i already have some friends and family there who love it...yet the course is ranked in the 30s for the good uni guide.

Which one? I dont know how good Newcastle's history department really is, nor am I sure the nighlife in Exeter is buzzing!?????

No comment needed.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are meaningless, it sounds like you would prefer Newcastle, go there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes uni is an experience, but when you come to find a job a history degree from exeter will mean more (if only slightly more) than one from newcastle. and I have friends there, the night life isn't dull

ReputationRep:
    Exeter, if it has a much better rep and teaching than newcastle, it will mean much more in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter it really has to be. It has a better reputation and from my experience of politics has very good teaching! And is a lovely place to live and study in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlichatterbox)
    Hi,

Oh, and the social scene is anything but boring. Trust me.
    Either Uni or club related, as far as Im concerned its hard to find a night where there is truly nothing going on.

ReputationRep:
    I live in exeter, the nightlife is pretty good actually
    And really nice, safe place to live

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle without a doubt. Exeter gives out AAA offers to everyone who applies. I wouldn't trust them. Plus you already prefer Newcastle, which I would put ahead of Exeter in any case, so go there, by all means, it's a great university.

ReputationRep:
    newcastle- best nightlife?
    when there's london, manchester, leeds, nottingham?
    ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    newcastle- best nightlife?
    when there's london, manchester, leeds, nottingham?
    ok
    Newcastle has a quality nightlife!

ReputationRep:
    newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I have no experience of Newcastle, but Exeter really is a nice place - I don't think the nightlife is that dull, there are plenty of bars down there, but I don't know what the students are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Newcastle has a quality nightlife!
    it might have a good nightlife but not as good as the others i mentioned :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    it might have a good nightlife but not as good as the others i mentioned :nope:
    It's better than Nottingham i'd say. London is probably better but a lot more expensive, sankeys and wharehouse project are good in Manchester rest is average. Leeds is about on par i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to both and I prefer the city of Newcastle. Uni of Exeter is a green campus and the city is lovely aswell, the nightlife is not that bad actually, but still nothing compared to Newcastle (which I'd put on the same level with leeds, and even better than Nott) imo. Having said that, taking everything into account including the uni reputation, I'd go for Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    From someone with one bad experience of Uni under her belt, having gone for the better reputation, I can safely say, go where you are happiest. If you being happiest will be the course you prefer or the social side really depends on you. But DON'T be persuaded by 'reputation' or leagues...

ReputationRep:
    It's a really hard one to call... I mean, whose to say newcastles rep or history department is that bad? Yet whose to say theres not a great social scene in Exeter.
    Think I probably need to check exeter out...

still undecided.....

ReputationRep:
    In terms of history department - Exeter. In terms of social, night and city life - Newcastle. So it depends what you're really after from a university...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.