Turn on thread page Beta

Revision strategies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how does everyone revise...just wondering- do you make revision notes and read them over and over, write the same thing over and over.....just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    how does everyone revise...just wondering- do you make revision notes and read them over and over, write the same thing over and over.....just wondering

If you work sufficiently during the year then you don't really have to revise.

ReputationRep:
    do past papers. lots of it

ReputationRep:
    i will write out revision notes (about 20-25 A4 side per module) and try to learn as I write them, starting about a month before...then in 2-3 days before exam I will try and write them out again but in less detail (maybe 10 A4 sides per module) and read over and over until they're fixed in memory

this is the most efficient way I can think of revising, as I know people who spend hours and hours with a highlighter pen (LOL) highlighting all over their notes and remember nothing

but of course, everyone has their own preferences

ReputationRep:
    i'm old fashioned.
    read the txt books...practise past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minkailin)
    i'm old fashioned.
    read the txt books...practise past papers
    txt bks=useless

past papers=invaluables

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    txt bks=useless

past papers=invaluables
    i think for maths past papers r quite useful
    i'm too lazy to make notes, all the info is in the txt book (or reference book) so y copy it out again?

ReputationRep:
    i'm too lazy to make notes, all the info is in the txt book (or reference book) so y copy it out again?
    maths=concepts

Once you know them you should do any ques

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    revise at night so it stays in as you go to sleep (works for me!) and rewrite the same notes a few times, dont go over the top with it though... past papers for the last 2 or 3 years are always a good idea, these exam boards can only think of so many questions, then they just start repeating themselves.. plus you get an idea for the different styles of questions (words, paragraphs, fill-in-the-gaps, tables, graphs, calculations etc)..

ReputationRep:
    i think for maths you are right, but for subjects where you need to know facts (like the structure of the brain or something) then its difficult to remember this just by reading over it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy)
    i think for maths you are right, but for subjects where you need to know facts (like the structure of the brain or something) then its difficult to remember this just by reading over it
    structure of the brain? Are you like doing medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    structure of the brain? Are you like doing medicine?
    lol, A2 biology, theres more on the kidney than the brain but we still need to know the main bits!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy)
    lol, A2 biology, theres more on the kidney than the brain but we still need to know the main bits!! :-)
    Hmm is A2 biology hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hmm is A2 biology hard?
    not really hard, you can understand it if you try hard enough its just that theres loadsa little facts to remember, and stupidly long words which you always get mixed up in the exam! i think Physics is the hardest A2 im doing, then Biology, then Maths then finally ICT...

ReputationRep:
    just do past papers, then read up on any questions that you find difficult from the past papers. Then do more past papers. The easiest and most efficient way to revise with minimum effort, bar wasting your time, or doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Reading revision notes over and over again is a complete waste if you don't understand it. My best strategy is to write it in a form you would understand onto small cards or massive posters (for diagrams and flowcharts etc...) and also make it organised. Put like a topic on each card or something. Get a couple of highlighters for the key words and you will remember much better. Like they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words and if you remember one thing, other things will open up right in front of you whilst you are sitting in that dreaded exam room.

And yea, past papers help a lot since not only will you know the type of questions they are likely to ask but how to approach them which is important in a timed exam.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.