Turn on thread page Beta

The Official How I Met Your Mother Society... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: who have been your favourite extras in season funf(thats 5 btw)
    Lilly's stripper lookalike :coma:
    19.25%
    mabel the barrel...:moon: memories
    9.81%
    Shinya, the random dude in robin 101
    9.43%
    The real sexless inkeeper(the fat ugly woman)
    5.28%
    Phil,the downstairs neighbour of Barney..12B from the bagpipes episode
    3.02%
    the Scuba diver
    15.47%
    The legend that is lilly's dad..in a toy making way not a abandoning father way
    7.17%
    Maggie the fittie in 'the window'
    6.79%
    Captain underpants, aka Don (robins newspartner)
    11.70%
    Jenkins
    15.09%
    The fat kid who initiates 'but umm' in Jenkins
    16.23%
    Cuk poo..ahahaha
    18.87%
    Everyone involved in the musical in 'Girls Vs Suits'
    36.98%

ReputationRep:
    I hated the ending.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly I'm a bit out of touch as I haven't watched it for a while but that finale was crap. They ruined the Barney character for no reason with all that Robin crap. I'm assuming the mother was in most episodes this season? I can't believe this was always the ending they envisaged.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The whole series is meant to be about how he meets the mother but she's only in one season and in the end he ends up back with Robin? You what mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Admittedly I'm a bit out of touch as I haven't watched it for a while but that finale was crap. They ruined the Barney character for no reason with all that Robin crap. I'm assuming the mother was in most episodes this season? I can't believe this was always the ending they envisaged.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The whole series is meant to be about how he meets the mother but she's only in one season and in the end he ends up back with Robin? You what mate
    It was terrible, truly terrible. The last 4/5 seasons have been terrible as a whole pretty much.

The Mother was barely in this season, she was more of a cameo character than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    It was terrible, truly terrible. The last 4/5 seasons have been terrible as a whole pretty much.

The Mother was barely in this season, she was more of a cameo character than anything.
    She was only a cameo character? Bloody hell.

I agree with this viewer to a large extent though I obviously care a lot less (stolen from IMDB). I never really liked the pairing of Barney and Robin, and after that ending it was made even worse because it was pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Dear How I Met Your Mother Creators,

To say I was disappointed in the series finale of How I Met Your Mother is a gross understatement. I am disconcertingly, irretrievably, unfathomably disappointed in the way you chose to end what used to be my absolute favorite television series of all time, to the point where it makes me physically ill to think about. For nine seasons you taught us to believe in magic, and in destiny, and happy endings, and in the fates always working out in the end, no matter how bumpy the road to get there was. This ending absolutely destroyed everything that was magical about this series. A few things you destroyed:

Barney Stinson. From the moment we saw Barney asking about his tie at the end of season 6, and realized that he was getting married, we have seen the character of Barney Stinson evolve, albiet slowly from a manipulative womanizer to a gentlemen worthy of marrying Robin Sherbatsky. When he finally vowed to always tell Robin the truth the moment before he married her, I was proud of him and the full circle that he had done. And then, in one episode, you destroyed three seasons of character development for Barney and made him devolve into an unfunny, immature scumbag of a guy who knocked somebody up and who wasn't even happy about having a child until the moment he held her in his arms. What a SAD, MISERABLE ending for one of the most diverse characters in the show.

Robin Sherbatsky. Ruined her character as well. So she becomes famous, ditches all of her friends and her husband for her career, and lives an anti-social life where she eventually ends up all alone in her old apartment with more dogs?

I could have lived with the mother dying. I could have lived with this. I could have been happy. I could have made it work.

But you decided to take it one step further.

You decided to ruin Ted Mosby. You decided to turn Ted Mosby from a hopeless romantic telling an amazingly beautiful story of how he met the mother of his children into some elaborate ploy to ask his kids' permission to pursue Robin again. Robin. THE SAME WOMAN WHO MARRIED HIS BEST FRIEND AND WHO TOLD TED SHE DID NOT LOVE HIM AND THAT THEY WOULD NEVER WORK OUT EVER BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT PEOPLE. By the way, way to break the bro code, Ted. You shattered Ted's character by convincing us he finally moved on from Robin. But no. Still pining after the same woman after 20+ years. Makes me physically ill.

But the worst thing....

You ruined The Mother and her story. You turned her death into a minor part, another hurdle Ted had to jump to finally reach Robin. We did not see ANY mourning from Ted for the death of his wife. We did not see their final moments together. We did not see the funeral. We did not hear any sadness from her kids. All we heard was "Oh by the way, the mother got sick and died, let's talk about Robin instead". Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

You ruined the magic. And for that, I will forever be disappointed.

In my mind, the series ended with Barney and Robin's wedding. A snippet of Ted seeing the mother playing bass on stage. Finally meeting her at the train station. Flash forwards of their lives together. Ted proposes. They have an amazing life and two children together. She slowly gets sick and eventually passes away. And in order to honor her memory, he sits his kids down and tells them the long, amazing story of how he met the love of his life.

And that's the true story of how Ted met the mother, the love of his life. At least, that's the story I will be remembering.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed Viewer

ReputationRep:
    Think i'm going to skip ahead to the last episode and watch it, the show died for me a long time ago anyway so I won't be missing much.

ReputationRep:
    What a big disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What an utterly depressing ending.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Robin and Barney should never have divorced, having Robin choose her career is inconsistent with how she developed through the series.

Barney was left a single father, they could have at least had him marry some wild girl who didn't want the kid either initially.

Random death of the mother, just depressing.

I think i might just not watch series 9 next time and assume series 8 was the ending.

The key problem for me is lack of showing character development

Should have been a 4 series sitcom
    And different name like how i met my wife and cut all the scenes with him in the 'future' with the mother

ReputationRep:
    the fact that it took Ted so many years to get married is so un-mosby-like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    She was only a cameo character? Bloody hell.

I agree with this viewer to a large extent though I obviously care a lot less (stolen from IMDB). I never really liked the pairing of Barney and Robin, and after that ending it was made even worse because it was pointless in the grand scheme of things.
    That quoted post is pretty much spot on. They ruined the funny to have character development, then backtracked on about 4 seasons of it in one final episode.

Think the whole thing spiralled out of control once they got given the go ahead for those last three series.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Now that we know the mother dies, the hints throughout that she was ill were actually surprisingly obvious. The biggest being a few episodes ago when Ted was telling the mother the story of how Robin's mum turned up at the wedding (the same episode in which they concluded that they had no stories left to tell eachother), to which she responded "Of course she turned up. What mother would miss her daughters wedding?" before both her and Ted seemed to tear up and look pretty sad. I think at the time I presumed she was talking about her own mother.

ReputationRep:
    I expected the ending to disappoint but wow, this was a cluster**** of disappointment. Real shame for me personally as this series was what really got me into watching TV. It seems like a lot of shows can't last more than 4 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I expected the ending to disappoint but wow, this was a cluster**** of disappointment. Real shame for me personally as this series was what really got me into watching TV. It seems like a lot of shows can't last more than 4 seasons.
    I actually think that if you exclude season 9 then it's still better than average. The only reason 5, 7 and 8 are regarded somewhat poorly is because of how high the bar was set during seasons 1-4 and 6.

ReputationRep:
    What a giant waste of time
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Why spend nine years building up to a character and then killing her off in the space of an episode :indiff:

I can just imagine the How I Met Your Dad spin off being about how the mother of Barney's child met him, seeing as they didn't reveal her name or show her or anything (which I'm really annoyed about )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyan~)
    What a giant waste of time
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Why spend nine years building up to a character and then killing her off in the space of an episode :indiff:

I can just imagine the How I Met Your Dad spin off being about how the mother of Barney's child met him, seeing as they didn't reveal her name or show her or anything (which I'm really annoyed about )
    I was going to watch How I Met Your Dad but now I refuse to. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Haven't watched HIMYM since Season 5, have I actually missed anything? I can't believe it's actually lasted this long, get the feeling that they've been flogging a dead horse for the past few years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2014
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.