Turn on thread page Beta

Trinity College Dublin watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone applying with the IB?
    I applied for PPES and I'm a bit confused as to how the numbers of IB students accepted are determined...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatrionaF)
    Is anyone applying with the IB?
    I applied for PPES and I'm a bit confused as to how the numbers of IB students accepted are determined...
    pretty damn sure it's all to do with points rather than the qual. taken?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to ask two questions about Trinity, and more generally, about the Irish system. How many universities can one apply to? Also, to how many courses at which university? Finally, I'd like to ask the following: I have not got GCSES, however, I will have 3 A levels + 2 AS levels, all of them in traditional subjects; is this enough for the matriculation requirements? Any info would be appreciated!! Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to any combination of the seven universities and other colleges as you wish. You can apply for ten courses like this, or ten courses at one university. Or, you can only put down one or a few if you want. Most people tend to fill it up just in case. AT NO TIME WILL ANY COLLEGE SEE YOUR LIST OF COURSES- they don't know what else you're applying for because they're not in that part of the process at all- they only know you exist when CAO make you the offer and you accept it.

You need to have a language at GCSE level at least. You have all traditional subjects so that part is fine. You need Higher Maths if you're applying for comp science. You need to present maths and english of some sort. (Irish students need to present Maths, English, either Irish OR a thirs language (some unis want both, but not TCD) and 3 other subjects). The TCD prospectus is available on their website as a pdf- go to tcd.ie and the prospectus will be under 'prospective students'. I don't understand AS Levels, but basically most people who get courses over 490-500 points have 4 A's or more. Whivh might sound scabby but the percentage of Irish students who get 600 points (ie. the max- 6 A1's) is absolutely miniscule compared to UK students who get 4 A's. Anyway, a rough guide to the points you should expect (applications have risen a good bit this year- you should expect a further rise rather than a fall) and the course requirements are in the prospectus. General matric. requirements are in the front of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    You can apply to any combination of the seven universities and other colleges as you wish. You can apply for ten courses like this, or ten courses at one university. Or, you can only put down one or a few if you want. Most people tend to fill it up just in case. AT NO TIME WILL ANY COLLEGE SEE YOUR LIST OF COURSES- they don't know what else you're applying for because they're not in that part of the process at all- they only know you exist when CAO make you the offer and you accept it.

You need to have a language at GCSE level at least. You have all traditional subjects so that part is fine. You need Higher Maths if you're applying for comp science. You need to present maths and english of some sort. (Irish students need to present Maths, English, either Irish OR a thirs language (some unis want both, but not TCD) and 3 other subjects). The TCD prospectus is available on their website as a pdf- go to tcd.ie and the prospectus will be under 'prospective students'. I don't understand AS Levels, but basically most people who get courses over 490-500 points have 4 A's or more. Whivh might sound scabby but the percentage of Irish students who get 600 points (ie. the max- 6 A1's) is absolutely miniscule compared to UK students who get 4 A's. Anyway, a rough guide to the points you should expect (applications have risen a good bit this year- you should expect a further rise rather than a fall) and the course requirements are in the prospectus. General matric. requirements are in the front of it.
    An A at GCE A level is worth 150 points.
    Most people only do 3 subjects, so normally people would only get 450 points even if they get straight A's. There are not many people who would do beyond 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)
    Most people only do 3 subjects, so normally people would only get 450 points even if they get straight A's. There are not many people who would do beyond 4.
    AS counts too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)

Trinity no longer relies completely on A=150 points though anyway, I think it has some proportional weighting..thing as well. Yeah I know it's rare to do 4 subjects or more, but I never really come across people in this forum hoping to do something below 450.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly the deadline for CAO is closed but opens again in march? I only recently decided I wanted to apply to trinity, is it still possible? I'm applying with the IB...
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki_michelsen)
    Apparantly the deadline for CAO is closed but opens again in march? I only recently decided I wanted to apply to trinity, is it still possible? I'm applying with the IB...
    thanks
    http://www.cao.ie/apply.php
    Exactly. 'Regular' applications are now closed. But they re-open and there are only two differences. Firstly, you'll now have to pay a late application few. Secondly, there are some restricted courses that late applicants can't apply for because they require a portfolio review or an audition (music, drama etc.).

You'll find IB matriculation requirements here - http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergr...-baccalaureate. You'll also have to meet the points for your course. Those points won't be announced until mid-August, a week after the LC results come out.

The FAQ section of the CAO website is pretty informative.

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    yeah, you'll have to pay a late fee which is pretty epic money.
    If you are just applying to trinity be warned, it's as expensive as London in Dublin... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    yeah, you'll have to pay a late fee which is pretty epic money.
    If you are just applying to trinity be warned, it's as expensive as London in Dublin... :rolleyes:
    Dublin is much more expensive than London - I went to TCD and now i've moved to London, and when i go home for a visit i can't believe how expensive Dublin is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Yeah. I've applied for a range of courses. If I had 540, I could well get in for most of them, including PPES but I'd quite like single honours Philosophy. I've got a least 40 points over what they wanted last year, although the operated proportionality of AABa, and I've got AABB, so hopefully I'll get it. At any rate, I'll be really annoyed if I don't.

Good luck to you - but we're not going to hear for ages anyway!

i rang trinity and ucd today, they said they are taking into account if you took a levels in 2009. they will use the old scoring system which means more points!!!! so happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etainsidesuite)
    Exactly. 'Regular' applications are now closed. But they re-open and there are only two differences. Firstly, you'll now have to pay a late application few. Secondly, there are some restricted courses that late applicants can't apply for because they require a portfolio review or an audition (music, drama etc.).

You'll find IB matriculation requirements here - http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergr...-baccalaureate. You'll also have to meet the points for your course. Those points won't be announced until mid-August, a week after the LC results come out.

thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etainsidesuite)

Thanks for the replies
    One more quick question, does anyone know how many points above the course requirement should I aim to get so that I can be considered for an acceptance?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies
    One more quick question, does anyone know how many points above the course requirement should I aim to get so that I can be considered for an acceptance?

im not sure, but maybe 10 or 20 to be sure, but you never know, there is likely to be a big increase on pints this year due to more applications. also the new a star grade in a levels will make it more competitive

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that not that many people will get A*s though? and most that do will go to ox/cam coz of cost and reputation as much as anything....

ReputationRep:
    but those who will get a star grades are likely to apply to TCD. TCD although not oxbridge is well up there in international prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Do you find out whether youre in on the English results day or the Irish results day coz irish is before english as far as i am aware..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liznol)
    Do you find out whether youre in on the English results day or the Irish results day coz irish is before english as far as i am aware..
    English cause the offers are all post-results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBbee)
    i rang trinity and ucd today, they said they are taking into account if you took a levels in 2009. they will use the old scoring system which means more points!!!! so happy!
    Oh excellent, thanks for telling me!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.