Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liznol)
    Do you find out whether youre in on the English results day or the Irish results day coz irish is before english as far as i am aware..

5 days after the Irish results come out- Monday the 20th-ish of August. Though if you won't know your results until after that you might just be in Round Two- start of September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerpop101)
    yes! applied to sociology, poli-sci, economics, and philosophy!
    i know it is about a month later, but me too

though im hoping to defer, something they don't make it partcularly clear how to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatrionaF)
    Is anyone applying with the IB?
    I applied for PPES and I'm a bit confused as to how the numbers of IB students accepted are determined...
    yes! and im pretty sure i ****** up my application because i couldnt find anywhere to put the ib courses in? I just sorta typed it up in a comments section or something like that, and am gunna send them my certificates when i get them

they make it very confusing! probably not for the paddys because their teachers will get it but my school knows nothing about CAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    yes! and im pretty sure i ****** up my application because i couldnt find anywhere to put the ib courses in? I just sorta typed it up in a comments section or something like that, and am gunna send them my certificates when i get them

they make it very confusing! probably not for the paddys because their teachers will get it but my school knows nothing about CAO
    I think that's just how the system works. It seems slightly lackadaisical given the whole rigmarole of UCAS, but yeah, I'm fairly sure what you've done is what you're supposed to do. Just send them your results when you get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I think that's just how the system works. It seems slightly lackadaisical given the whole rigmarole of UCAS, but yeah, I'm fairly sure what you've done is what you're supposed to do. Just send them your results when you get them.
    thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    i know it is about a month later, but me too

though im hoping to defer, something they don't make it partcularly clear how to do...
    I don't think you apply this year if you want to defer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    I don't think you apply this year if you want to defer?
    i think you are definately right

there is a way to defer, im gunna try and blag it if i get the offer i guess...

ReputationRep:
    i think you are definitely right

there is a way to defer, im gunna try and blag it if i get the offer i guess...
    I'm almost certain Irish deferring is just not applying. Have you only applied to Trinity? If so give them a ring/drop them an email, they are really nice and helpful with even the most stoopid of questions (and we are talking my friends "how much does milk cost in dublin" stoopid levels here)

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain Irish deferring is just not applying. Have you only applied to Trinity? If so give them a ring/drop them an email, they are really nice and helpful with even the most stoopid of questions (and we are talking my friends "how much does milk cost in dublin" stoopid levels here)
    well it says in the cao handbook that you should defer after you get your offer, but i will definately ring them on monday to confirm :P

and your friends ask very important questions!

ReputationRep:

You can defer. Wait 'til you get your offer (i.e., until August). Don't accept the offer. Instead, write to Trinity immediately, stating that you wish to take up your offer in 2011. You will then, as a formality and to show that you are still interested in taking the place, have to reapply to the CAO the next year, making that course your one and only choice on the CAO form.

Read all about it....http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergr...y/eu/deferred/

On an unrelated note, referring to Irish people as 'paddys' is rather offensive, IMO.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know about applying with a levels taken in 2009, in comparison to courses that use proportianility to deterime places for a level students. Those who took a levels in 09 will be judged on the old point scoring system, but what about the proportionality grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etainsidesuite)
    You can defer. Wait 'til you get your offer (i.e., until August). Don't accept the offer. Instead, write to Trinity immediately, stating that you wish to take up your offer in 2011. You will then, as a formality and to show that you are still interested in taking the place, have to reapply to the CAO the next year, making that course your one and only choice on the CAO form.

Read all about it....http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergr...y/eu/deferred/

On an unrelated note, referring to Irish people as 'paddys' is rather offensive, IMO.

Good luck!
    really? i see it as more of a nickname, like "pommes" from the aussies, but obviously i don't get to decide about that

thanks for your help - do you know if there is a reason you have to give as to why you want to defer? rather than just "take a gap year" as i am doing? there are reasons i could give, but i was just wondering?

ReputationRep:
    Paddy's is a derogatory term, like calling the french frogs. Be careful where you say it

ReputationRep:

You mean 'the Irish!'. Point 2: Never say southern Ireland. If you need to differentiate, say the republic. Important lessons!

Milk costs about €1.10 a litre. For avonmore- which is the nicest. You could always buy own-brand milk or Lidl milk though. Dublin is an absolute rip-off but there are ways around it. Don't buy food in a convenience, ever. SU shops do cheap milk and other stuff (limited). Lidl and Aldi are in the city centre. With a student travelcard you get much cheaper transport. My bus ticket is 30 days non consecutive and costs €75. Since the fare is €2.20, I save €60 a month

Afaik, they will not set it in stone about deferring. Depends on whether the course is rabidly competitive I think.

ReputationRep:
    do you know if there is a reason you have to give as to why you want to defer? rather than just "take a gap year" as i am doing? there are reasons i could give, but i was just wondering?
    To be honest, I'm not sure how specific you have to be. Certainly, you don't have to go in-depth into any personal reasons for wanting to defer. I've never heard of someone being refused a deferral because they didn't give a good enough reason. Keep it simple e.g., "I wish to take a year out of formal education in order to better prepare for study at university level, on both a personal or financial level". I'm sure someone around here has deferred an Irish university offer, perhaps they'd be so nice as to tell you what they wrote.You could also just ring Trinity and ask them straight up, I'm sure they'd put your mind at ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etainsidesuite)
    To be honest, I'm not sure how specific you have to be. Certainly, you don't have to go in-depth into any personal reasons for wanting to defer. I've never heard of someone being refused a deferral because they didn't give a good enough reason. Keep it simple e.g., "I wish to take a year out of formal education in order to better prepare for study at university level, on both a personal or financial level". I'm sure someone around here has deferred an Irish university offer, perhaps they'd be so nice as to tell you what they wrote.You could also just ring Trinity and ask them straight up, I'm sure they'd put your mind at ease.
    Cool, so you think I should ring Trinity not CAO?

And I suppose I do have a good reason, as basically I don't want to be 17 at Uni

Thanks for your advice everyone, any massive faux pas (apart from the obvious 'paddy' which has been pointed out numerous times :P) - and any good, fairly concise (sort of A-level or equivalent standard) Irish history books any knows of so I could brush up before I went out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    You mean 'the Irish!'. Point 2: Never say southern Ireland. If you need to differentiate, say the republic. Important lessons!

Milk costs about €1.10 a litre. For avonmore- which is the nicest. You could always buy own-brand milk or Lidl milk though. Dublin is an absolute rip-off but there are ways around it. Don't buy food in a convenience, ever. SU shops do cheap milk and other stuff (limited). Lidl and Aldi are in the city centre. With a student travelcard you get much cheaper transport. My bus ticket is 30 days non consecutive and costs €75. Since the fare is €2.20, I save €60 a month

Afaik, they will not set it in stone about deferring. Depends on whether the course is rabidly competitive I think.
    Dublin prices are discusting, I live in London atm and every time I'm over i die a little bit inside.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, so you think I should ring Trinity not CAO?

And I suppose I do have a good reason, as basically I don't want to be 17 at Uni

Thanks for your advice everyone, any massive faux pas (apart from the obvious 'paddy' which has been pointed out numerous times :P) - and any good, fairly concise (sort of A-level or equivalent standard) Irish history books any knows of so I could brush up before I went out?

Hmm. If you could get your hands on the Leaving Cert Irish History book that'd be handy (not sure how you would..) Modern Ireland- publishers Gill and MacMillan.

Off the top of my head- there's a good modern-times volume- Ireland Since the Famine- FSL Lyons. The 'A New History of Ireland- ed. F.X Martin and co' would be better but they're absolutely massive. The most far reaching though.

Try to get one written by an Irish person at least- you might be surprised by the perspective.

PaperPlanes- Yep, not saying that Dublin isn't a rip-off, it sure is. I don't live there but I'm there everyday. But there are so many ways of avoiding the obvious €9 for a vodka and 7up ripoff and others. You just have to know. Food and rink is the easiest to save massive amounts on. It annoys me when I see a thread here going 'Dublin's so expensive, I was charged €6 for a pint in X pub in templebar!'. Obviously, it's aimed at tourists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Hmm. If you could get your hands on the Leaving Cert Irish History book that'd be handy (not sure how you would..) Modern Ireland- publishers Gill and MacMillan.

Off the top of my head- there's a good modern-times volume- Ireland Since the Famine- FSL Lyons. The 'A New History of Ireland- ed. F.X Martin and co' would be better but they're absolutely massive. The most far reaching though.

Try to get one written by an Irish person at least- you might be surprised by the perspective.

PaperPlanes- Yep, not saying that Dublin isn't a rip-off, it sure is. I don't live there but I'm there everyday. But there are so many ways of avoiding the obvious €9 for a vodka and 7up ripoff and others. You just have to know. Food and rink is the easiest to save massive amounts on. It annoys me when I see a thread here going 'Dublin's so expensive, I was charged €6 for a pint in X pub in templebar!'. Obviously, it's aimed at tourists.
    Oh god, that's another of my pet hates, American Tourists. ARG "is this an irish hat??!" *no, you're in BELFAST, so technically, whatever some people will tell you, you are in Britain, point 2 YOU ARE IN ACESSORIZE*

rant over.

ReputationRep:
    Dublin prices are discusting, I live in London atm and every time I'm over i die a little bit inside.
    Similarly, when I was in London with friends a couple of years ago we were all remarking on how cheap stuff was... living in Dublin really warps your perspective on these things.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.