Turn on thread page Beta

what's so bad about swearing? watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, i swear a lot, when i'm angry with someone or just when i'm joking around and i don't think there's nothing wrong with it... actually i think it's a pleasant way of actually offending someone, i think a horrible way of offending someone is saying something personal, like making fun out of someone by how they look or whatever
    i just think swear words are ordinary words of the english dictionary..
    and why is **** considered to be the most offensive swearword? i don't see what is so offensive by it? all it means is a woman's vagina
    so what do you guys think

ReputationRep:
    It shows that you lack creativity in expressing yourself in a less offensive way. Swear words should only be used, in my opinion, in a situation where you are so infuriated that it is the only way to express your anger, or in appropriate, quotative humour. Use it otherwise and the words start to slip into general lingo and lose their 'offensive' substance - meaning impact is gone.

ReputationRep:
    It is just social conditioning for people to find them offensive even if using them in a casual context.

^^Quite the oxymoron to pleasantly offend someone though!

ReputationRep:
    It just tends to show a general lack of education/class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HadrianH)
    It shows that you lack creativity in expressing yourself in a less offensive way. Swear words should only be used, in my opinion, in a situation where you are so infuriated that it is the only way to express your anger, or in appropriate, quotative humour. Use it otherwise and the words start to slip into general lingo and lose their 'offensive' substance - meaning impact is gone.
    THIS :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah dont ******* swear, it means you must have a lack of ******* ****** common sense. Some people may see it as really ******* rude too but I dont give a **** :awesome:

Meh i swear quite a bit too :p:

Absolutely **** all.

ReputationRep:
    Mickey swore a lot whilst Eddie enjoyed some pot. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I think you're 14 years old, OP, and have a lot to learn.

:ditto:
    edit: Also, it could become a habit. 'Accidentally' swearing at interviews/university presentations won't impress anyone.

ReputationRep:

If it's alright with Stephen Fry it's alright with me.

ReputationRep:
    One day someone made up some words and created a law stating that these words are forbidden.

SO FOLLOW IT!!!1111

Then it gets to ridiculous levels like having Microsoft demand you change your username because it has the word "penal" in it, which sounds like half of "penis" :zomg:, and being banned from a forum for calling someone (white) a "wigger", because it rhymes with the N-word! :shock:

It shows that you lack creativity in expressing yourself in a less offensive way.
    Stephen Fry just owned you in 45 seconds without even knowing.

ReputationRep:
    I swear myself, but will say there is a time and place. It gets annoying when your in a shop for example (this is actually a real life quote", "I ain't having that f****** shirt mate anyone who wears a pink shirt is a f****** d***-H*** needs to be f****** manly mate not proper puff style".

In my eyes it far effing easier to say "Not really my colour". So yeah swearing is okay just keep it for the correct time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the whole **** thing either. I did "The Vagina Monologues" for Theatre Studies A2 and the teacher had to ask if people were offended by that word when we were reading it and who was actually willing to read it out. Then we had a massive discussion as to whether we should perform that section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Stephen Fry just owned you in 45 seconds without even knowing.
    He's using swearing in a humourous way that isn't particularly offensive. So he's an exception to the general use of swearing.

ReputationRep:
    He's using swearing in a humourous way that isn't particularly offensive. So he's an exception to the general use of swearing.
    Wasn't talking about him swearing, I was talking about what he says up until 0:45.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't talking about him swearing, I was talking about what he says up until 0:45.
    I didn't say it was a sign of a 'poor vocabulary', I said that it's people who can't express themselves in utterly normal situations in a better way.

And no, I don't have a poor vocabulary, maybe not as wide as Profesh's, but good enough to aid my sense of expression.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was a sign of a 'poor vocabulary', I said that it's people who can't express themselves in utterly normal situations in a better way.
    There isn't any discernible difference between "having a poor vocabulary" and "shows that you lack creativity in expressing yourself".

Unless you're suggesting punching someone instead of shouting at them. Or interpretive dance.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't any discernible difference between "having a poor vocabulary" and "shows that you lack creativity in expressing yourself".

Unless you're suggesting punching someone instead of shouting at them. Or interpretive dance.

Vocabulary =/ lack of creativity in expression

You can think of what to say in simple words, and express yourself more diligently and better, in a normal situation - anger is an exception - than merely spouting '**** this' and '**** that' to the subject of discussion.

Just as one could express themselves more fluently with a lot simpler vocabulary to express everyday emotions/describe a situation to a typical person. Over-exaggerated, pre-20th century vocabulary can make expression more confused.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.