Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    I couldn't care why they do it, as long as they do do it...the shorter the better :p:. Unless ofcourse they have the thighs of a buffalo, no thanks :no:
    Once again, I find myself in agreement with you.

ReputationRep:
    We like our legs. Although I would hope I'm not included as I always wear black tights and shorts underneath if it's very short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    More should wear them. But not my friends, please not my friends :facepalm2:
    I hope you mean the female ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    I hope you mean the female ones
    yes, the female ones :rolleyes:

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    hahahahaha, only on TSR would a question like this get asked :rofl:

I've got no problem with them wearing short skirts. More should wear them. But not my friends, please not my friends :facepalm2:
    You mean your female friends? Why not?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's it's a very typical male assumption that when girls wear short skirts/ nice clothes/ put on make-up/ do their hair nicely etc it's always to get attention from guys.

Well it isn't. It's for a number of reasons; partly for peer acceptance, partly because of a need for self expression - being in style, a la mode, etc, and partly for our own pleasure and enjoyment. Remember, much of female sexuality looks inward, and focuses on the self (unlike male sexuality, which focuses more strongly on the object of desire). The way we dress is for ourselves and our own approval first and foremost. While some girls might wear a skirt to get male attention; it certainly isn't the only reason anyone might wear a short skirt, and almost certainly won't be the main reason.

I went to an all girls' school before sixth form and while there were no males around whatsoever (apart from a few fat, middle aged, balding geography teachers), people still put on make-up, made an effort with their hair, coats and accessories, hitched up their skirts, etc. We don't do it for boys, we do it for ourselves. Sorry guys but it's not always about you!

ReputationRep:
    i wear short skirts because i have nice legs. I'm kinda lacking in the boob department, but my legs give me confidence so i like to show them off.
    i think it's ok as long as you follow the rule of either low top or short skirt, not both at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    You mean your female friends? Why not?
    cos I don't want them to possibly get taken advantage of :nah:

ReputationRep:
    They like dressing like whores, then they're surprised when they're treated like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aubydoll)
    Well I usually wear skirts/dresses, and I chose my clothes not for other people's approval. I'm not sure if you would consider them to be too short or whatever but I wear them because I like them and have a certain style. If something is too short I usually wear tights or leggings beneath it.

thank u!!..lol.. am reading some other comments and am like wtf? i wear shorts skirts because i like the way they look, i am the one wearing my clothes arent i?. i dont wake up in the morning and think "oh i better wear a short skirt so that the dudes in skl will check me out." i think clothes are one of the ways u can express ur personality , mood etc. obviosly if ur too scandalous u might draw too much attention, i for one wear tights and leggings undrneath sometimes. i think if ur comfortable then **** wat the world thinks!.. i have gone back in my closet to change my clothes because i thought they were a bit too much or smthng. but only becuse I thought so!!.:mad: :eek3: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatea)
    I think it's it's a very typical male assumption that when girls wear short skirts/ nice clothes/ put on make-up/ do their hair nicely etc it's always to get attention from guys.

Well it isn't. It's for a number of reasons; partly for peer acceptance, partly because of a need for self expression - being in style, a la mode, etc, and partly for our own pleasure and enjoyment. Remember, much of female sexuality looks inward, and focuses on the self (unlike male sexuality, which focuses more strongly on the object of desire). The way we dress is for ourselves and our own approval first and foremost. While some girls might wear a skirt to get male attention; it certainly isn't the only reason anyone might wear a short skirt, and almost certainly won't be the main reason.

I went to an all girls' school before sixth form and while there were no males around whatsoever (apart from a few fat, middle aged, balding geography teachers), people still put on make-up, made an effort with their hair, coats and accessories, hitched up their skirts, etc. We don't do it for boys, we do it for ourselves. Sorry guys but it's not always about you!
    I have to say, I agree - having gone to an all girls school for years, girls who are literally just coming into school and going home will be wearing beltskirts, and if they're going anywhere they want attention from boy's they'll change anyway. It has a lot to do with "fashion" and peer acceptance.

Even if they are doing it for male attention, it isn't necessarily because they're desperate - just as sometimes men aren't on the hunt for a long term relationship, women sometimes just fancy a one-night stand or a snog, and they know how to get men's attention.

And can I just say, wearing a short skirt and being raped do not go hand-in-hand, people get raped when they're wearing baggy jeans and hoodies, and no-one should have to go through that, whatever they're wearing.

ReputationRep:
    Why do peacocks have such beautiful and elegant tails?

(Original post by Deacon-2010)
    Who the **** are you to question it you fag.

The fact that you're questioning it means that either you're a homo or you're not getting laid and are really bitter about it. Probs cause you're hella ugly, who no girl would even look at twice, in which case you should go kill yourself.
    You need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    They like dressing like whores, then they're surprised when they're treated like them.
    thats a daft thing to say. i know girls that are sluts and wear baggy jumpers and loose fitting hoodies that doesnt make them anything less than sluts.
    u cannot judge a book by its cover or a girl by her skirt!!..

if u dont like the skirts , dont look!!!..jheez.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind them wearing short skirts, I'll sure as hell be having a look but I wouldn't want a girlfriend who dresses like that.

ReputationRep:
    They seem to have the belief that men have no imaginations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deacon-2010)
    Right so would you rather they all walk around with burkas instead?

Just because they like to dress up nice, doesn't mean it's an invitation for any old perve to make a move on her, esp if she's clearly not interested.

Even if you've got a girl, checking out a fit bird in some tight outfit is like going paragliding - you just enjoy the view.
    Why do you have to take an extreme example? This isn't pakistan, but neither is it barcelona.

It is an invitation, pervs dont care why the girl is wearing what shes wearing, pervs notice that the girl has her fanny on display and take the chance. They dont sit down like you to write a thesis on the issue.

Yeh, I enjoy bird watching aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tianaluvsu)
    thats a daft thing to say. i know girls that are sluts and wear baggy jumpers and loose fitting hoodies that doesnt make them anything less than sluts.
    u cannot judge a book by its cover or a girl by her skirt!!..

if u dont like the skirts , dont look!!!..jheez.. :mad:
    I didn't say they were whores, I said they dressed like them.

Wear skimpy clothing and expect a lot of attention. That's kind of the idea isn't it? Why else would you wear a mini skirt (if you can even call it a skirt) in this weather? Just be prepared to deal with it, or change how you dress.

ReputationRep:
    i wear skirts and dresses not cuz am desperate or want attention, its because it makes me feel good and sexier and i love my legs, ppl who wear skirts and dresses dosent make them a slut maybe a bit of a tease at times but certainly not easy .

ReputationRep:
    I think guys will never understand that when a girl makes an effort on her appearance, it is not for a reaction from guys. I couldn't care less if I get hit on by random guys or not. Sure, it's nice, it boosts my confidence, blablabla. However, if I don't get flirted with one day, I am not going to go home, cry and put on a shorter skirt the next day. In my mind, if I think I look good in the clothes I'm wearing, then that's all that matters. As with everything, some people are going to like it and some aren't, worrying about who appreciates your clothes is a waste of time.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.