Turn on thread page Beta

Do those who fail stand a chance? watch

ReputationRep:
    You can always leave your previous results off your CV... No reason it should affect you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I understand where you are coming from. But we have no way of measuring how much effort she put into these previous exams. Determination and hard work cannot be underestimated. I got 2 Bs, 1 C and 7 Us in my GCSEs first time round, for reasons I shall not go into. Consequently my parents sent me to a boarding school and I got straight A stars. Ultimately, only the OP knows whether they were trying, or whether they can do much better.
    oh look, neither can you. Shall we stop being so sad and correcting each other? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    oh look, neither can you. Shall we stop being so sad and correcting each other? :rolleyes:
    haha win!

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from. But we have no way of measuring how much effort she put into these previous exams. Determination and hard work cannot be underestimated. I got 2 Bs, 1 C and 7 Us in my GCSEs first time round, for reasons I shall not go into. Consequently my parents sent me to a bording school and I got straight A stars. Ultimately, only the OP knows whether they were trying, or whether they can do much better.
    Neither can you...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Well, I would resit your GCSEs at a minimum. But honestly if I was in your position I'd sack going to university. Frankly the debt is an arse and I'd say you'd be better off now getting an NVQ in something (Midwifery for instance?) I know you said you wanted to be a teacher but have you explored other options?

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Neither can you...

ReputationRep:
    Typo :o:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, apologies for not giving you more information on myself, it was a bit stupid of me. I did have problems at school, none which I could say were an excuse, the main thing was that I just didn't like school and starting my GCSE's at 14, I thought I never wanted to do anything interesting and didn't feel I wanted good grades. I spent 2 years not caring and it was only when I was about 2 months off finishing that I decided I'd been stupid and I tried my hardest to redo coursework and cram my revision. I only got very few GCSE's but I got just enough to get me into college where I then did my A Levels, however I did start to go a bit down hill and it was possibly my own fault that I started to believe I couldn't do it so more or less gave up, it was just my teacher who really pushed me. Unfortunatly I ended up not able to sit the exam down to medical reasons which weren't allowed to be taken into consideration.

I was told at the careers centre that because there are so many people with fantastic grades and fantastic degree's that I wouldn't get anywhere since I'd failed already and they would take me as a liability. I would be willing to start from the beginning, but I went there wanting advice and was basically told not to bother. I find it hard in one way because it's something I really want to do and I'm working hard at the moment to save money for it, but also because I find it such a shame that things like past grades are held against a persons future when someone could really have a lot of potential.

Thank you all for your responses, I take all what you said, even the poster who said it's not really likely, it's all down to opinions and I did ask for them and the guy at the careers centre said near enough the same thing, and he's paid to say that!

GirlRadioHeart, thank you very much, and I'd be more than happy to speak to you!

ReputationRep:
    For me i have done the pathetic year 10/11 thing of not care do everything at the very last minute stay up until 4 in the morning doing coursework even though i need get up at seven to go to school. Overall when it actually came to nearer GCSE's i realized how much i didn't know didn't understand etc and revised like crazy. Social life went out the window for a month and luckily i did pass over half of my GCSE's with enough grades to get into any college i wanted. So now a days i am trying my best on the course and doing pretty well. So you can succeed as long as you just try and don't be stupid. Its like that English teacher on the St. Trinians movie said "Clever is sexy". Somehow i agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunFlowerStripes)

GirlRadioHeart, thank you very much, and I'd be more than happy to speak to you!
    You're welcome! Awesome, well we can talk here or in a private message. I think I have some valuable information/contacts if you're looking at going down the teaching route!

Are you working at the moment? Where do you want to start with things? Have you got any other careers advisors in your area that could help and give more constructive advice than the last idiot you spoke to? Have you spoken to your family and friends?

ReputationRep:
    I would do, depending how up for it you are.
    5-10 GCSEs in a year.
    3 and a half A levels in a year/2.
    Then do your degree - 3 years.
    6 years. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    I've sent you a message GirlRadioHeart!

Thanks for everyones responses, I'm very greatful.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.