Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been failing my Further Math all year long during my college time, and then out of the blue, Warwick offered me a seat in MMORSE (my FM was predicted C). I was really really appreciate it, and I told myself I had to turn into new leaf and revises hard. Do you think 5months of revise would be enough to get A?

P/S I'm really really sleepy now, so yeah... sorry if I'm not making sense

You just need to revise effectively, really.

Make sure you understand everything you've been taught; go through the specification/s if you need to. If there's anything you don't understand, ask your teachers ASAP, if not, I'm sure the Maths forum will help .

After that you can practise; I usually start with textbook exercises, then nearer the exams, and when I'm fast enough :rolleyes: I move to past papers.

That's all I can think of for now.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    um, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    I've been failing my Further Math all year long during my college time, and then out of the blue, Warwick offered me a seat in MMORSE (my FM was predicted C). I was really really appreciate it, and I told myself I had to turn into new leaf and revises hard. Do you think 5months of revise would be enough to get A?

P/S I'm really really sleepy now, so yeah... sorry if I'm not making sense
    Same goes for me only exception being i am after A* , yes you can why not ?> xD i got 6 modules ahead of me , know what Pm me.We can perhaps revise together , i am saying that because i am self -teaching. =]
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Same goes for me only exception being i am after A* , yes you can why not ?> xD i got 6 modules ahead of me , know what Pm me.We can perhaps revise together , i am saying that because i am self -teaching. =]
    Oo self-teaching Further Maths, I completely failed at that :giggle: Physics is a lot easier as a self-study subject I've found, though that might just be the effect of being on gap year :giggle:...good luck with everything :yep:

Also:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Loving the sig and of course the awesome degree choice :top:

In terms of the revision OP after a lot of trial and error I've found setting yourself targets for this sort of revision is the best bet...sit down, think how much you can reasonably do alongside your other studies and other commitments in life, and make a plan to stick to...this works especially well with Maths because of how it's split into modules then chapters then subjects with questions for each part, and of course the number of past papers available.
    You should factor in weekly revision, perhaps daily if you have a set pattern of study sessions, work etc. and if you can concentrate in that way...and also the major summer revision for things like past papers...making sure you hit certain targets however you plan your time will ensure you get a good understanding of everything by summer and ensure you get that place at Warwick :yep: 5months and you'll know it in your sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Oo self-teaching Further Maths, I completely failed at that :giggle: Physics is a lot easier as a self-study subject I've found, though that might just be the effect of being on gap year :giggle:...good luck with everything :yep:

Also:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Loving the sig and of course the awesome degree choice :top:

In terms of the revision OP after a lot of trial and error I've found setting yourself targets for this sort of revision is the best bet...sit down, think how much you can reasonably do alongside your other studies and other commitments in life, and make a plan to stick to...this works especially well with Maths because of how it's split into modules then chapters then subjects with questions for each part, and of course the number of past papers available.
    You should factor in weekly revision, perhaps daily if you have a set pattern of study sessions, work etc. and if you can concentrate in that way...and also the major summer revision for things like past papers...making sure you hit certain targets however you plan your time will ensure you get a good understanding of everything by summer and ensure you get that place at Warwick :yep: 5months and you'll know it in your sleep
    Thank man, >.< really appreciate this... One last question, do you think it's adequate to spend an hour per day for revision solely on further math as I have other subjects to consider of..

(Original post by ibysaiyan)
    LOL, no difference from me man.. my lecturer is finishing teaching Further Math and I know almost nothing about it... well, 70% of it...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thank man, >.< really appreciate this... One last question, do you think it's adequate to spend an hour per day for revision solely on further math as I have other subjects to consider of..
    It's important to do well in your other subjects aswell, so of course don't overload on the further maths :yep: An hour should be fine if you're feeling a bit lost as I say make a plan...just to see how many of these hours you need, you may need less time than you thought if you can do a lot in an hour consistently , or more time than you thought if it takes you a while to get in to things or if you fluctuate with the amount of work you do...and make sure you don't burn out before exams :p: no one can work at their best every single day...so sometimes taking time out work to improve your studying :yep: just striking the balance between everything is the major hurdle...which is why I like to plan :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Geoff would have you doing it 2 or 3 times a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jZcUTMdiY

The more time you spend on it, the better chance you have. Anthony Robbins said he became so good at presentations because in one month, he was getting more experience than some people get in 10 years, because he was just putting so many hours in and giving presentations all the time.

Time doesn't necessrily equate to good grades though. You could be the hardest worker in the world and still fail if you are hacking away in the wrong jungle. As long as you understand what you are studying and that, then more time should produce more results.

If time becomes an issue, look at ways in which you can cut down on time. It's only a temporary thing because you won't have to revise forever. Perhaps record all your programmes on Sky + if you have it so you can skip all the adverts, that should save you a certain amount of time during the course of a week. Or wake up a bit earlier than normal, there's loads of different things you can do to get the most out of your 24 hours, you just have to be inventive.

ReputationRep:
    Five months should be plenty- when you get to uni, you'll be lucky to have five days to revise for anything!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.