Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have got conditional offers from Warwick, St. Andrews and Edinburgh for Economics. I am thinking of putting Warwick as firm and St. Andrews as Insurance. Can you guys please advise me on the best choice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10realmadrid)
    Hey,

I have got conditional offers from Warwick, St. Andrews and Edinburgh for Economics. I am thinking of putting Warwick as firm and St. Andrews as Insurance. Can you guys please advise me on the best choice.

Thanks
    Warwick > St Andrews > Edinburgh

Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would firm Warwick and insurance Edinburgh, but obviously without knowing the offer conditions it is harder to do.

ReputationRep:
    The offers are:
    Warwick : IB 38
    St Andrews : IB 37
    Edinburgh : IB 34

ReputationRep:
    The offers are:
    Warwick : IB 38
    St Andrews : IB 37
    Edinburgh : IB 34
    Personally to me it is like
    Edinburgh > [Big Gap] Warwick=St.Andrews but

For economics it is more like St.Andrews=Warwick >Edinburgh
    Anyways it would be risky to put firm and insurance with only 1 pt. difference :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

Congrats.
    :ditto:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would say Warwick > St Andrews ~ Edinburgh.
    Based on that, and your offers, I would firm Warwick and have Edinburgh as the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    Ideally visit all 3.
    (I guess you are in Spain but there are cheap flights).

Locations are very different:
    i)Warwick is a campus uni.
    ii)Edinburgh is a vibrant capital city.
    iii)St Andrews is a small costal windswept town.

Edinburgh and St Andrews are Scottish so the courses are an extra year long.

But in terms of Economics Warwick >> Edinburgh, St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etnies)
    Personally for me it is like
    Edinburgh > Warwick=St.Andrews but

Anyways it would be risky to put firm and insurance with only 1 pt. difference :yep:
    Warwick is widely regarded as one of the top 5 universities for economics, while St Andrews is not.

ReputationRep:
    best option is probably:
    firm warwick and put edinburgh as insurance
    edinburgh is an incredible city and it has a very good reputation for economics

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    Did you have any other offers?
    Check out the St Andrews and Edinburgh threads for what those unis are like.

ReputationRep:
    I have no other offers because I applied to those 3 unis + oxford, but I got rejected from oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick hands down imo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Warwick - firm, Edinburgh - Insurance.

Easy as 123

St Andrews, it's a much better environment, and a better sort of person would go there than warwick. Warwick is really overrated, it's vile and it's in Coventry. St Andrews firm and Edinburgh insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Since people are giving a range of orderings on which they think is best, it might be worth considering making your decision partly on the other characteristics of the places. I agree that if you can visit, it would be excellent and could possibly almost make the decision for you.

I was quite torn between Warwick and St Andrews for doing Maths and Theoretical Physics, and although I think Warwick is probably the stronger university for those subjects, I chose St Andrews above it because after visiting both, I vastly preferred St Andrews, and it's still very good. How much you like a place depends on your personality, though.

It might be good to think about the following questions and see if it makes any difference to how you personally feel...
    What kind of things are you interested in beyond your subject? What's your idea of a perfect night out? How much do the different places cost? How much flexibility would you like in your degree, and how much do the different places offer? If you went away for a weekend at university, what kind of place would you want to visit? How much do you want to travel in term-time?

As someone mentioned, it's worth looking in the forums/threads for each uiniversity and seeing what people say. There's a big FAQ thread in the St Andrews forum that might be worth skimming through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

Congrats.
    nothing more needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etnies)
    Personally to me it is like
    Edinburgh > [Big Gap] Warwick=St.Andrews but

are you scottish? in which case ok, otherwise i have no idea where this came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    are you scottish? in which case ok, otherwise i have no idea where this came from.
    Wut? Why I have to be Scottish to have my heart set on Edinburgh?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by danny111)
    Etnies is from Bulgaria, and outside of Europe the rankings are viewed totally different than from within. (This is always the case.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.