The Student Room Group

MBA - Brunel or Royal Holloway or Kingston

Hi Everyone,

I just received the offer from both Brunel, Royal Holloway and Kingston for the MBA course starting in Sep 2010. I know clearly that they are both not the best for MBA, however, having considered location, tuition fee, ranking and entry requirements, I decided to apply for the fact that I have a little business/management background, no GMAT, not much money to afford those with tuition fee more than 18,000 GBP. Therefore, never did I think of Oxford, Cass, Manchester Uni, Leicester, ect. Please understand my specific situation and do not recommend me with any other courses than these three courses; I can afford none of them for sure :smile:.

I am quite confused now to decide which one is my firm choice. Could you please give me some clues for my final decision? I really care about the academic environment and teaching quality, class profile and MBA reputation (not only the ranking but the common assessment of people out there and industry links). If possible, I would also love to listen to your advice on the location of each university in terms of linking with central London and other business centres.

Many thanks in advance for your valuable input :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I go to Brunel but I don't know anything about the MBA programme. I do, however, know about it's location.

It is around 1 hour by tube from Central London, it's about 15 minutes by U3 or A10 bus from Heathrow Airport and all the big business centres around there like Stockley Park.

I think you'll find it to be much more urban than Royal Holloway. Any other questions about practicalities at Brunel just quote me.
Reply 2
Norfolkadam

It is around 1 hour by tube from Central London, it's about 15 minutes by U3 or A10 bus from Heathrow Airport and all the big business centres around there like Stockley Park.

I think you'll find it to be much more urban than Royal Holloway. Any other questions about practicalities at Brunel just quote me.

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Norfolkadam :smile:

Personally, I don't care much about the urban look of the location, because one year intensive MBA course should be busy enough and kill all of my time. However, I am going with my wife who will study English to prepare for her Architecture course in 2011. So I am afraid she would get bored staying alone all day. Do you think it is practical for me to live in London centre and coummunte everyday with an two hour round trip (as you count)?
Avoid Kingston.
Reply 4
Stalin
Avoid Kingston.

Would you mind please giving me some reasons, Stalin?
thuyngan2ha
Would you mind please giving me some reasons, Stalin?

The university looks like a prison and its MBA programme is not highly ranked.
Reply 6
Stalin

I would agree on the ranking consideration. As I can see in the University guide 2010: Business and management studies from Guardian, it ranks RH (41), Brunel (60) and Kingston (64). However, does the ranking really reflect the true quality of each b-school? How about the common perception of practitioners/recruiters in business field, if you might know?

Many thanks!
thuyngan2ha
Thank you very much for your quick reply, Norfolkadam :smile:

Personally, I don't care much about the urban look of the location, because one year intensive MBA course should be busy enough and kill all of my time. However, I am going with my wife who will study English to prepare for her Architecture course in 2011. So I am afraid she would get bored staying alone all day. Do you think it is practical for me to live in London centre and coummunte everyday with an two hour round trip (as you count)?

Yes it is practical. It would depend where in London and how busy your schedule was.

If you did actually live in the 1 hour zone (West London) and you would have full days without huge breaks between lectures or seminars then it's fine. However my friend lives in South East London and it takes her 2 hours to get in and she ends up having 3 or 4 hours sometimes stuck at the University because she can't go home and come back.
thuyngan2ha
I would agree on the ranking consideration. As I can see in the University guide 2010: Business and management studies from Guardian, it ranks RH (41), Brunel (60) and Kingston (64). However, does the ranking really reflect the true quality of each b-school? How about the common perception of practitioners/recruiters in business field, if you might know?

Many thanks!

At the end of the day it'll be your decision, if you believe that you'll enjoy the experience that Kingston has to offer then by all means go for it. All I'm saying is, when no one outside of London has ever heard of Kingston University, is it really that good?

Why don't you look at other universities, ones in Scotland perhaps, more specifically Strathclyde Business School, University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Business School and University of St Andrews?
Reply 9
Stalin

the uni does not looks like a prison.
Reply 10
Stalin
All I'm saying is, when no one outside of London has ever heard of Kingston University, is it really that good?

Well said! That's really what I want to know. Thank you, Stalin!

Stalin
Why don't you look at other universities, ones in Scotland perhaps, more specifically Strathclyde Business School, University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Business School and University of St Andrews?

Well, as I mentioned in the first post, I go to MBA course for some reasons and plans, both mine and my wife's. So London location is the first priority rather than the MBA itself (it might sound ridiculous for you, but practical in our case). That's why I narrowed down my research at the begining: only b-schools in London (Inner or Greater). Also, the three schools are on my list, because they are not too expensive and all accredited by AMBA (Association of MBA) - accreditation is really a reliable consideration if you haven't been to those schools or have good resources to learn more about them.
Reply 11
Norfolkadam
Yes it is practical. It would depend where in London and how busy your schedule was.

If you did actually live in the 1 hour zone (West London) and you would have full days without huge breaks between lectures or seminars then it's fine. However my friend lives in South East London and it takes her 2 hours to get in and she ends up having 3 or 4 hours sometimes stuck at the University because she can't go home and come back.

It's my thought too. As far as I can learn from the study schedule, we are expected to attend the lectures and discussion sessions all day long except for two hours or so for lunchtime. So that would not be a problem to stay all day at school. And you are right, we should stay somewhere in West London (Kensington, Paddington or even Hammersmith). The campus accommodation is quite expensive (we are looking for the studio flat type) which is similar to rent price in the zone1 or 2. Living in the centre will cost me a significant number for transportation but in return, my wife she will have good access to all interesting things in London :smile:
Reply 12
Any kind help for me to choose from the three schools please?
Reply 13
My name is Peter and I am the Marketing Manager for Kingston Business School, and so I may be able to answer some of your questions. The Kingston MBA is very well thought of - it has been going for 25 years and has been AMBA accredited for most of that time. The Kingston MBA does not yet appear in the MBA league tables as we have not had big enough cohorts in the past to persaude enough alumni to fill out the feedback that goes into the league tables. However we are hoping this will change in the future as our cohorts increase in size. Many of our MBA alumni have gone on to very senior positions in business including CEOs and Managing Directors.
See http://www.business.kingston.ac.uk for more information.
I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please let me know. :smile:
Reply 14
Thank you for your information, Peter :smile:
Reply 15
Hi,

I am a current student a brunel Full time MBA course (class of 2009/10)As i just came across ur posting & went thru it..realised u have got a london location preference. I too got RH & Brunel offers & dint have much time to appear for GMAT & a strict locational (personal)reasons.
Though RH is higher in ranking than to brunel(the low ranking has same reasons as attributed by kingston fellow in previous post) , RH is situated out of london..its 2 hrs one way from london city . in case u have locational restriction..brunel is defintely the best choice. The faculty is superb overall. They keep u more than busy all year out & if u r sincere enough u hardly have time to leisure..but mind it..u will love the whole time.Only back point there is constitution of class..i came from pretty good technical & managerial experience..however thr r f ew student (3-4) out a class of 32 whom i dont feel r upto the mark. So tht be the case in any of the colleges..it depends on u what kind of contacts u wanna made. Also that class has got big presence of middle east & south east asian students..in that order.
Lastly..brunel have got massive, beautiful , modern campus (they r the only campus university in london)& facilities . Have got up & very successful placement centre & have frequent job fairs..so its upto u ..how aware & active u r during ur studies & take the maximum benefit out of available resources !
chk out following links tht support my above argument :

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/9514/MBA%20Applciation%20Form/ReportEd2006Rankings.pdf

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/pcc

Hope this helps !
Reply 16
forgot to mention about commuting:
if u & ur wife both plan to study @ brunel or even if one studies in central london..u can easily live in some central location..london has pretty good tube system(if u plan to use public transport)..its all zone divided & services r excellent during weekdays(weekends r usually partial working , for maintenance reason, but replacemnet buses work!) ..london transport is divided into 8 zones (central london being zone 1 & 2). brunel is in zone 7 . I live in zone 6 & its 40 mins average travel. My partner travels to zone 1 (office) & it takes 50 mins. so u can think of & plan out in a similar way.
good luck ,regards
Reply 17
Thank you very much for your input, penchant19!!! It's really what I am looking for, an honest idea from someone who is really an MBA students in these schools. Well, you are right about the location, Brunel is the best out of the three schools. However, a while ago, I talked with some students studying in RH at the moment and they said the travel time between RH and London (London Waterloo railway station) is actually not more than one hour and it's even shorter if you get of in Richmonds from the fast train. Then again, it confused me as I still prefer RH in terms of the academic reputation and career prospects (solely based on the stats!!!).

Regarding the class constitution, I really don't care much about where the others are from and as you said, it happens in any school and the point is to getting most from your teachers and your classmates. So that would be fine.

Do you have any particular assessment of Brunel's careers service? Do they get you exposed to potential employers throughout the course, and how? Though I heard a rumour that employers normally look down to the schools out of top 50, I still assume a true story should be somehow different.

Thank you for your "practical" information once again and hope for your further valuable responses :smile:

All the best!
Reply 18
penchant19
Hi,

I am a current student a brunel Full time MBA course (class of 2009/10)As i just came across ur posting & went thru it..realised u have got a london location preference. I too got RH & Brunel offers & dint have much time to appear for GMAT & a strict locational (personal)reasons.
Though RH is higher in ranking than to brunel(the low ranking has same reasons as attributed by kingston fellow in previous post) , RH is situated out of london..its 2 hrs one way from london city . in case u have locational restriction..brunel is defintely the best choice. The faculty is superb overall. They keep u more than busy all year out & if u r sincere enough u hardly have time to leisure..but mind it..u will love the whole time.Only back point there is constitution of class..i came from pretty good technical & managerial experience..however thr r f ew student (3-4) out a class of 32 whom i dont feel r upto the mark. So tht be the case in any of the colleges..it depends on u what kind of contacts u wanna made. Also that class has got big presence of middle east & south east asian students..in that order.
Lastly..brunel have got massive, beautiful , modern campus (they r the only campus university in london)& facilities . Have got up & very successful placement centre & have frequent job fairs..so its upto u ..how aware & active u r during ur studies & take the maximum benefit out of available resources !

Hope this helps !

Hope you will be notified of the new posts...
Reply 19
Original post by penchant19
Hi,

:confused:

Hope this helps !

Hello Penchant19,

I noted you mentioned in your post about job fairs at Brunel - is this an area that non-UK/EU students can take advantage of? I ask this because I am looking at Brunel later this year and being able to take advantage of potential career opportunities on the UK job market could be an option if avenues exist.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending