Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    been trying to find out what Lauren is in chinese symbols but alas theres two or three possibilities and i was wondering if theres any chinese speaking people on here who can help me out

laters

ReputationRep:
    is that mandarin or cantonese?

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on whether you just want a phonetic version or if you want it to convey the original meaning of the name Lauren, which would be 'laurel/bay plant'...

ReputationRep:
    月桂 would be the original meaning, pronounced yue gui
    嫪葚 is more phonetic, lao ren (meaning longing for mulberry fruit)... it never works completely when you're just translating a name into Chinese characters, particularly because another version of lao ren means old person xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovers in japan)
    月桂 would be the original meaning, pronounced yue gui
    嫪葚 is more phonetic, lao ren (meaning longing for mulberry fruit)... it never works completely when you're just translating a name into Chinese characters, particularly because another version of lao ren means old person xD
    I wonder how many Laurens have "longing for mulberry fruit" tattooed on them.

ReputationRep:
    mandarin

lol ive seen some awesome tattoos, i need it for a logo but ive seen someone tattoed with supermarket lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't tattoo the Mandarin/Cantonese version of your name onto your body, it's utterly pathetic, almost makes me want to ask you if you forget your name on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancesO)
    I wonder how many Laurens have "longing for mulberry fruit" tattooed on them.
    You should see the other options xD at least that's a bit more feminine than old codger :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMatthewsPhotography)
    mandarin

lol ive seen some awesome tattoos, i need it for a logo but ive seen someone tattoed with supermarket lol
    Well choose the original meaning then, that way it won't sound stupid to native Chinese and you'll know you've got the right meaning xD

My Chinese name is nothing like my original name for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovers in japan)
    Well choose the original meaning then, that way it won't sound stupid to native Chinese and you'll know you've got the right meaning xD

My Chinese name is nothing like my original name for that reason.
    cheers for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Don't tattoo the Mandarin/Cantonese version of your name onto your body, it's utterly pathetic, almost makes me want to ask you if you forget your name on a regular basis.
    Wouldn't they just tattoo the english version of their name? People that forget their name are less likely to remember a mandarin translation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Wouldn't they just tattoo the english version of their name? People that forget their name are less likely to remember a mandarin translation.
    lol well maybe they want to make it a challenge

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure it means what you want it to mean because once on the street I found someone in public with the Chinese word for "Hitler" tattoo'ed to their arm.
    Now, the name Hitler is a close pronunciation of Hot chilly and the guy obviously didn't know that and I didn't tell him either. Afraid he'll go home and chop off his arm.
    Just a warning.

ReputationRep:
    Errrrmmmm....I would definitely seek some advice from a native Chinese speaker before getting anything like that tattooed. Names are quite a tricky business in Chinese. Quite a cool method is to take your initials, and then find some characters that start with the same initial - that way you can get a "genuine"-sounding Chinese name while still having some connection with your real name... you'll still need the help of a native Chinese person though!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.