Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My application was finished before the deadline but I (on purpose) only made 4 choices so have 1 left.

Can I still make the one last choice as a late application without it affecting the existing ones? I'm not sure if I even would but I'm curious about it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by stainboy)
    My application was finished before the deadline but I (on purpose) only made 4 choices so have 1 left.

Can I still make the one last choice as a late application without it affecting the existing ones? I'm not sure if I even would but I'm curious about it.
    Why would adding a choice affect your other ones?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I don't know how it works which is why I'm asking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I don't know how it works which is why I'm asking.
    You can, but a far more sensible question is why did you deliberately disadvantage yourself by leaving a choice unused until after the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You can, but a far more sensible question is why did you deliberately disadvantage yourself by leaving a choice unused until after the deadline?
    Picking a 5th choice at the time would have been a random stab in the dark and be something my heart wasn't in. I wanted to see how my 4 choices panned out before I decided what to do next, for example if they had all been rejections I'd be able to make a more informed decision on the remaining 5th.

ReputationRep:
    Picking a 5th choice at the time would have been a random stab in the dark and be something my heart wasn't in. I wanted to see how my 4 choices panned out before I decided what to do next, for example if they had all been rejections I'd be able to make a more informed decision on the remaining 5th.
    But after the deadline no university has an obligation to even consider you, and the choice available is hugely reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    But after the deadline no university has an obligation to even consider you, and the choice available is hugely reduced.
    I'd rather risk that with an informed choice than have a Uni I put no thought into having to consider me. At the time as well I had an obvious first choice in mind and all others were just backups I was hoping not to need to use. Situation has changed since then.

ReputationRep:
    i just get opportunity to start study (i have enough money etc etc) but its after deadline.. how can i apply by extra or i have to send my application directly? pls someone hel[p me should i apply aNY 5 COURSE , cancel and thne use extra or i can us eit stright? its will be my first application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kromagg)
    i just get opportunity to start study (i have enough money etc etc) but its after deadline.. how can i apply by extra or i have to send my application directly? pls someone hel[p me should i apply aNY 5 COURSE , cancel and thne use extra or i can us eit stright? its will be my first application
    See my post in the other thread, and read the first post in this one.

ReputationRep:
    is it wrong if i will apply to 3 diferent(slightly) courses in same uni? i want aply for forensic (science, computing, investigation) all in 1 uni so do they see im applying to different courses? do they will think im not decided what i want to do exactly? is answer will come as 1 uni offer/rejection or is it will be like 3 answers and possibly at lest 1 positive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kromagg)
    is it wrong if i will apply to 3 diferent(slightly) courses in same uni? i want aply for forensic (science, computing, investigation) all in 1 uni so do they see im applying to different courses? do they will think im not decided what i want to do exactly? is answer will come as 1 uni offer/rejection or is it will be like 3 answers and possibly at lest 1 positive?
    The university concerned will see all the choices, of course, and you will get three responses. It would be a good idea to discuss the situation with the university before applying: two choices might very well be wasted. Some doubts will certainly arise as to your interest.

If you want a job in the forensic science service, these degrees may not be the best avenue of entry. A pure science degree in, say, chemistry or computer science would almost certainly be a better route.

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty sure I wanted to take a gap year, but now I've changed my mind. If I send off my application within the next couple weeks, is there still a chance of getting accepted for Criminolgy at Stirling? I've got BCC already and sitting 3 highers this year, need BBBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappilyHappy)
    I was pretty sure I wanted to take a gap year, but now I've changed my mind. If I send off my application within the next couple weeks, is there still a chance of getting accepted for Criminolgy at Stirling? I've got BCC already and sitting 3 highers this year, need BBBC.
    Read the first post in this thread for advice on how to find out!

ReputationRep:

Yes you can, I added an extra 3 choices a week ago for a completely different course and sent out a new personal statement. The universities arent told where youve applied to, they dont think "oh he's applied to some uni's that he's bound to get rejected to so we'll give him a place" if thats what your worried about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnowyDread)
    Yes you can, I added an extra 3 choices a week ago for a completely different course and sent out a new personal statement. The universities arent told where youve applied to, they dont think "oh he's applied to some uni's that he's bound to get rejected to so we'll give him a place" if thats what your worried about...
    Noo, I know that. I was worried that making another choice afterwards would make UCAS resend all of the applications all over again, or cancel them or screw it up in some way.

I don't need to do it anyway, was just curious how it worked.

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    my bf has missed his deadline for his top-up degree and is thinking he is having to work full time next year and then apply for 2011, am i right in thinking that he can still apply through ucas and will still be able to get student finance if he gets the place? he hasnt made any choices on ucas he completely missed the deadline, so if he can still apply how would he go about doing this?? Hes wanting to apply to Harper Adams if anyone knows if they will accept him it would be a great help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemzi)
    hi,
    my bf has missed his deadline for his top-up degree and is thinking he is having to work full time next year and then apply for 2011, am i right in thinking that he can still apply through ucas and will still be able to get student finance if he gets the place? he hasnt made any choices on ucas he completely missed the deadline, so if he can still apply how would he go about doing this?? Hes wanting to apply to Harper Adams if anyone knows if they will accept him it would be a great help!!
    If Harper Adams are in Extra for his course, he certainly can still apply for this year. Phone Harper Adams and talk to them, and read the first post in this thread He can check on UCAS to see if the course he wants is in Extra, but would still need to check with Harper Adams.

Student Finance should be OK, he's got at least until 23 April for 'guaranteed' payment at the beginning of term, but you can still apply later than that and get the money eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Am actually really worrying about being too late to apply for Liverpool John Moores now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleyy :))
    Am actually really worrying about being too late to apply for Liverpool John Moores now
    May I ask why?
    Having just checked UCAS all of their courses minus about 5 are listed as being in Extra and are open for new applications - why would it be too late to apply if they are still accepting applications?

Obviously double check with them the listing is correct before you do apply but other than that you're good to go... unless you happen to want to study events management, nursing, paramedic science or physical education... in which case yes, you are too late.

ReputationRep:
    I applied late to Lancs, but before I did I called to check what would happen and they said that for the course i'd applied for they were still accepting applications. Any how a few weeks later I called just to check how it was progressing - did they get the application safely and anyhow it's now with the department and I'm checking my emails every 3 mins just to see if I have one from UCAS

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.