Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think you will have to apply through Extra now.

ReputationRep:
    To say late would be an understatement, lol but since you are an international, you may apply before June 30th through UCAS but keep your fingers crossed for places. No need for clearing yet so get to writing your personal statement bud

ReputationRep:
    Cross what i said, deadline of 30th June is only for International out of the EU. Sorry bud, i guess clearings all you can hope for now unless you apply to some unis that have the January intake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanDerWaal)
    Hey!

So, I'm from a country in the EU and lately I've decided I want to go study in the UK.

Is it already late to apply to go to Uni in the UK (starting 2010)?

I've heard about Clearing, is it possible to apply through it for the first time (not having sent an application earlier)?

I'm currently doing my Alevels and will know the results around the beginning of July. Also, we do not have 'predicted grades' here (not sure if this is important)..

Many thanks.
    If you're doing A levels howcome you get your results in July, rather than late August? Unless maybe you mean the equivalent of A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonpickles)
    I think you will have to apply through Extra now.
    Thanks I have checked the Extra page on the UCAS website and it says : "Before you apply, try to contact the university or college to make sure that they can consider you." Should I do so immediately, or wait till after I get my results? (since I don't really know on what they can base their judgment otherwise, considering I have no predicted grades)

(Original post by ny2ko)
    Cross what i said, deadline of 30th June is only for International out of the EU. Sorry bud, i guess clearings all you can hope for now unless you apply to some unis that have the January intake.
    Thanks for your posts I'm thinking I should apply using Extra first though, as advised by previous poster, right? (the application process is a bit confusing in these areas..why would there be Clearing after Extra if they are basically the same?:confused: )

(Original post by DeyTa)
    If you're doing A levels howcome you get your results in July, rather than late August? Unless maybe you mean the equivalent of A levels?
    Yes you're right.. I meant the equivalent of the Alevels in my country (ie. the Matriculation Certificate) Sorry for the misunderstanding

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I have checked the Extra page on the UCAS website and it says : "Before you apply, try to contact the university or college to make sure that they can consider you." Should I do so immediately, or wait till after I get my results? (since I don't really know on what they can base their judgment otherwise, considering I have no predicted grades)

Yes, I actually applied late. Only about 4-5 weeks ago. If you look at the course list on the UCAS website they will have a little x after them to show that they are available in Extra. I then just e-mailed the uni's saying were they still looking at applications for my particular course. They replied back saying yes or no.

Sent my application off and had all my offers the following week.

I dont know what i would do with reference to your predicted grades. Since i was a mature student so already had everything i needed. So sorry i cant help on that one

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your posts I'm thinking I should apply using Extra first though, as advised by previous poster, right? (the application process is a bit confusing in these areas..why would there be Clearing after Extra if they are basically the same?:confused: )
    Extra can be used before Clearing which is in August after people have turned down certain unis, gotten rejects etc and there's a scramble for places

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of misinformation on this thread...

As an EU student, you would be held to the same deadlines as those in the UK - that is, equal considerations deadline (where universities are required to look at your application) of 22nd of January, and final submission deadline of 30th of June. Applications submitted after the 30th of June automatically enter Clearing. Therefore, you can still submit an application to universities for another month. Because you're submitting after the equal considerations deadline, it is in your best interest to contact the universities you'd like to apply to to make sure they will consider your application; they don't have to, but if spaces remain on the course they often will.

As for advice to enter Extra, you can't yet. Extra is for people who have already used their five choices and are holding no offers (either through being unsuccessful, withdrawal or rejecting offers.) Without submitting an application first, you can't use Extra. Entering Clearing is an option, but because you still have time it would be better to apply now with a late application and, if you get nowhere, either use Extra if it's still open or go through Clearing when that opens (mid-August.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)

As an EU student, you would be held to the same deadlines as those in the UK - that is, equal considerations deadline (where universities are required to look at your application) of 22nd of January, and final submission deadline of 30th of June. Applications submitted after the 30th of June automatically enter Clearing. Therefore, you can still submit an application to universities for another month. Because you're submitting after the equal considerations deadline, it is in your best interest to contact the universities you'd like to apply to to make sure they will consider your application; they don't have to, but if spaces remain on the course they often will.

As for advice to enter Extra, you can't yet. Extra is for people who have already used their five choices and are holding no offers (either through being unsuccessful, withdrawal or rejecting offers.) Without submitting an application first, you can't use Extra. Entering Clearing is an option, but because you still have time it would be better to apply now with a late application and, if you get nowhere, either use Extra if it's still open or go through Clearing when that opens (mid-August.)
    30th June deadline applies only to internationals out of the EU only

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/whentoapply

Go down to internationals and read that part

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I actually applied late. Only about 4-5 weeks ago. If you look at the course list on the UCAS website they will have a little x after them to show that they are available in Extra. I then just e-mailed the uni's saying were they still looking at applications for my particular course. They replied back saying yes or no.

Sent my application off and had all my offers the following week.

I dont know what i would do with reference to your predicted grades. Since i was a mature student so already had everything i needed. So sorry i cant help on that one
    Thanks for that insight No problem re predicted grades, thanks anyway I found the list and will email the Unis asap :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ny2ko)
    30th June deadline applies only to internationals out of the EU only

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/whentoapply

Go down to internationals and read that part
    Look at the top part of that same page.

There are three application deadlines for courses through UCAS - 15 October, 15 January and 24 March - it is important to check the deadline for your chosen course(s). If you are applying from the UK, you should submit your application by the relevant deadline below.

•15 October 2009 - application deadline for the receipt at UCAS of applications for all medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and veterinary science courses (course codes A100, A101, A102, A103, A104, A105, A106, A300, A200, A201, A202, A203, A204, A205, A206, A400, D100, D101 and D102), and for all courses at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
    •15 January 2010 - application deadline for the receipt at UCAS of applications for all courses except those listed above with a 15 October deadline, and art and design courses with a 24 March deadline.
    •24 March 2010 - application deadline for the receipt at UCAS of applications for art and design courses except those listed with a 15 January deadline.

If you apply for art and design courses with different deadlines, you can submit your application before 15 January for courses with that deadline, then add further choices before the 24 March deadline using Track (as long as you haven't used all five choices).

Applications received by the above deadlines are guaranteed to be considered by the universities and colleges. Applications received at UCAS after the deadlines, up until 30 June 2010, will only be considered by the universities and colleges if they still have vacancies for the course(s) you have selected.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the top part of that same page.

Yes sorry, thats where i got confused!, I still applied for all 5 choices, not through extra, I was just told that if the course was still in Extra it meant the uni was probably still taking late applicants, but if it wasnt in extra, it meant they were highly unlikely to look at your application.

My Mistake.

ReputationRep:

Many thanks for this reply, especially for clearing the issue re Extra! So, now my first step should be emailing the Unis and asking them whether they'll consider accepting me right? I was looking at this http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...GLISH&single=Y which is where Jonpickles led me to. Does your post still imply I must only email the Unis for the courses with the little x next to them only? (cause these are for UCAS Extra :/)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for this reply, especially for clearing the issue re Extra! So, now my first step should be emailing the Unis and asking them whether they'll consider accepting me right? I was looking at this http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...GLISH&single=Y which is where Jonpickles led me to. Does your post still imply I must only email the Unis for the courses with the little x next to them only? (cause these are for UCAS Extra :/)

Thanks

Yeah, you can try e-mailing the others that dont have the x, but the ones i tried the courses were full, so was a waste of time.

I applied for one course which was in extra when i applied, and they said still taking applications, but then the day after i applied it was removed from extra and got a response Course full so it was pretty much a waste of one of my five choices.

ReputationRep:
    So, now my first step should be emailing the Unis and asking them whether they'll consider accepting me right?

I was looking at this http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...GLISH&single=Y which is where Jonpickles led me to. Does your post still imply I must only email the Unis for the courses with the little x next to them only? (cause these are for UCAS Extra :/)
    Yes, the first step would be e-mailing universities to find out whether they will consider you. E-mail any you think you might be interested in, because some may say no, and it's easier to narrow them down than scramble around at the last minute trying to find somewhere else. :p:

Not necessarily. For example, ones like Durham which don't have anything beside them are often 'Closed from Extra, open for new applications'. And if there's anywhere you're particularly interested in that says its closed, it's worth an e-mail just to make sure.

I would recommend sending out your e-mails today, although the earliest day you're likely to be getting a reply is Tuesday (we're on bank holiday weekend here in the UK.) Spend tomorrow getting your application sorted - details, qualifications entered, writing your personal statement - and ask your school tutor about a reference when you next see him/her. If universities haven't replied within a few days (say, Thursday or Friday), it might be worth a phone call to get an answer from them. Once you know where you're applying to, fill in your choices on the form. Hopefully, you should be ready to send it off by the end of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can try e-mailing the others that dont have the x, but the ones i tried the courses were full, so was a waste of time.

I applied for one course which was in extra when i applied, and they said still taking applications, but then the day after i applied it was removed from extra and got a response Course full so it was pretty much a waste of one of my five choices.
    Oh ok!! Thanks for that! Glad to be finally getting the hang of all this! One question though.. do you email the Unis with your Personal Statement or do you just ask them the questions at first? Thanks and sorry to hear about your story.. but it's great you've got offers now, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok!! Thanks for that! Glad to be finally getting the hang of all this! One question though.. do you email the Unis with your Personal Statement or do you just ask them the questions at first? Thanks and sorry to hear about your story.. but it's great you've got offers now, congrats!
    Yeah I got into the one i wanted to in the end .

Nope, you just ask your questions. You put your personal statement on your UCAS application form.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the first step would be e-mailing universities to find out whether they will consider you. E-mail any you think you might be interested in, because some may say no, and it's easier to narrow them down than scramble around at the last minute trying to find somewhere else. :p:

Not necessarily. For example, ones like Durham which don't have anything beside them are often 'Closed from Extra, open for new applications'. And if there's anywhere you're particularly interested in that says its closed, it's worth an e-mail just to make sure.

I would recommend sending out your e-mails today, although the earliest day you're likely to be getting a reply is Tuesday (we're on bank holiday weekend here in the UK.) Spend tomorrow getting your application sorted - details, qualifications entered, writing your personal statement - and ask your school tutor about a reference when you next see him/her. If universities haven't replied within a few days (say, Thursday or Friday), it might be worth a phone call to get an answer from them. Once you know where you're applying to, fill in your choices on the form. Hopefully, you should be ready to send it off by the end of the week.
    Oh I see... Many thanks for the thorough reply! Will be following your advice! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got into the one i wanted to in the end .

Nope, you just ask your questions. You put your personal statement on your UCAS application form.
    Awesome! Thanks for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering in the past years did Cardiff have clearance places for Law and german, do you think there will be places on this course in september 2010??

Really want to go here but havent applied!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.