Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Beating your Offer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends (who didnt apply for medicine) was telling me that at certain uni's, if you beat your conditional offer by a grade or two then they give you some kind of scholarship/"bonus"

Does any know of a scheme like this for medicine now that we can beat AAA offers by getting A*'s?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Probably not as medicine is already so competitive but I'm just guessing

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of this before, but I'm intrigued. Does anyone know anything this? What type of courses or universities usually offer this? and who is applicable?

ReputationRep:
    A high number of universities offer a scholarship although usually when the entry requirements are lower e.g. BBB, and you will have to get AAA to get the scholarship. I highly doubt any Medical students would be given a scholarship as they are usually the top students anyway, the universities simply couldnt afford to give everyone a scholarship. It is really dependant on the course and the uni.

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a £5000 a year (I think?) grant if I got AAA and had Manchester as my firm. You could only get it if your household income was under a certain amount though.

ReputationRep:
    So many people who apply to medicine are predicted the top grades that a substantial number will beat their offer, so unis can't really be giving money to everyone unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    To the OP, I know Newcastle has a scholarship like this across most of its courses... however, I do think it's open to medical students too because on the student profiles page (http://mbbs.ncl.ac.uk/public/student/) a current medical student talked about being offered money as a result of the excellence scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand, scholarships like this are used by universities with a low reputation in some subjects in order to attract top students to their universities (I remember on when careers day being offered £5k a year from Lancaster if I studied maths there and got 3As).

So I think it's pretty clear that medical schools wouldn't need to adopt this kind of scholarship. However, there are others you can apply for.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield offers extra bursary if you achieve AAA, (their medical offer being AAB) although this only applies if you have an income below 30/35000ish.

Don't know of any scholarships though =/

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to guess this is not for the international students.

[I doubt medicine would have it, on account of it being very competitive as it is.]

ReputationRep:
    I doubt youll get this for medicine but at southampton if you do maths and get AAAAA at a level they pay all your tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    I'm going to guess this is not for the international students.

[I doubt medicine would have it, on account of it being very competitive as it is.]
    Scholarships for international students are very limited - many unis don't offer any at all but some I've seen offer 1000 per year which isn't bad The requirements vary from uni to uni though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Scholarships for international students are very limited - many unis don't offer any at all but some I've seen offer 1000 per year which isn't bad The requirements vary from uni to uni though.
    Thank you!
    You wouldn't happen to know about the availability of international scholarships for Southampton, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Thank you!
    You wouldn't happen to know about the availability of international scholarships for Southampton, would you?
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they mentioned in their letter of (interview) invitation to me that they don't offer any scholarships for international students

Now that I think about it.. I think I forgot to take back the letter after showing it to them as proof of identity at the interview :mmm:

Scholarships

The School of Medicine offers a limited number of scholarships to assist high quality international students to fund their PhD degree.
    http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/international/studying/fees/

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they mentioned in their letter of (interview) invitation to me that they don't offer any scholarships for international students

Now that I think about it.. I think I forgot to take back the letter after showing it to them as proof of identity at the interview :mmm:

You can use a letter of invitation that they sent out as proof of identity?

You could so easily fake your way into an interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    You can use a letter of invitation that they sent out as proof of identity?

You could so easily fake your way into an interview...
    I suppose so :lolwut: I found it weird too, considering my other choices are making/made me show them my identity card..

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so :lolwut: I found it weird too, considering my other choices are making/made me show them my identity card..
    How strange. It would be so easy to just give the best person in your school's name on your application, ace an interview and then you'd be in.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for that!

ReputationRep:
    I think such awards for beating your offer are for under-subscribed subjects like physics.

ReputationRep:
    Not really an award for beating your offer as such, but I get £500 per year scholarship due to getting AAA at A Level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.