Turn on thread page Beta

"Labour invents 33 new crimes every month" watch

ReputationRep:
    How much of a waste of space (and paper) can one government be?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ery-month.html

Thanks to Labour, it is now illegal to swim in the wreck of the Titanic or to sell game birds killed on a Sunday or Christmas Day – eventualities overlooked by previous governments.

Labour has made 4,289 activities illegal since the 1997 election, at a rate of about one a day – twice the speed with which the previous Conservative government created crimes.

Gordon Brown was the worst offender, with his government inventing 33 new crimes a month. Tony Blair's administration made 27 new offences each month.

Some of the more inventive crimes dreamt up by Labour include "disturbing a pack of eggs when directed not to by an authorised officer" and reporting the door of a merchant ship to be closed and locked when it isn't.

Labour also introduced laws against activities which would already have been covered by previous legislation – such as "causing a nuclear explosion."

Liberal Democrat home office spokesman Chris Huhne, who brought the figures to light, will criticise the government's administrative binge in a speech tonight.

He will say Labour has spent 12 years "suffering from the most acute and prolonged bout of legislative diarrhoea", calling the rate of 69 new Home Affairs Bills in 12 years "staggering".

I was not aware that the Government had jurisdiction in international waters.

Why am I not surprised? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    I was not aware that the Government had jurisdiction in international waters.
    British Parliament has jurisdiction over British citizens everywhere. If I murder someone it's still illegal under British law, even if its in Fiji.

ReputationRep:
    It would've been amazing is this article was written just before my exam last week..
    Good evidence to use for how powerful social groups create deviance make others' deviant... Or something.

(Original post by Bagration)
    British Parliament has jurisdiction over British citizens everywhere. If I murder someone it's still illegal under British law, even if its in Fiji.
    I know that, I was refering to the ban on swimming in the Titanic wreck.

ReputationRep:
    I know that, I was refering to the ban on swimming in the Titanic wreck.
    Er, that's the point. British citizens can't swim in the wreck of the titanic. Doesn't make a difference that its in international waters.

Also, it may be the case that the wreck is property of the Government, in which case they do have jurisdiction over it.

(Original post by Bagration)
    Er, that's the point. British citizens can't swim in the wreck of the titanic. Doesn't make a difference that its in international waters.

Also, it may be the case that the wreck is property of the Government, in which case they do have jurisdiction over it.
    Sorry, totally misread what you read. I blame lack of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, totally misread what you read. I blame lack of sleep.
    np

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.