Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Leading on from my woman-jumping thread.

Should we be allowed the right/having no interference to just end life?

In short, "ok I'm bored of living now, I'll pay my outstanding debts, say bye's and see you"

Is it a sane/rational thought to want to kill yourself? Could a visit to the psychologist, say - yes he is sane, just wants to end his life is all.

Is there a valid reason to want to die? that can't be [easily] resolved?

I realise people want to turn to suicide for various reasons, and we could help them, but what of people who have just given up/beyond help? do we just keep trying because "life is precious" - but is it really? what if they are just a drain on society and provide no real useful function besides using up resources?

Discuss.

No I believe everybody has the right to die if they so feel. It's better they can die legally and in a humane way rather than just cutting through their neck in their living room. And on the case of a valid reason thee is no real so called valid reason as that is subjective to the person in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    No I believe everybody has the right to die if they so feel. It's better they can die legally and in a humane way rather than just cutting through their neck in their living room. And on the case of a valid reason thee is no real so called valid reason as that is subjective to the person in question.
    I am going to liken it to Abortion.

I personally am for abortion under the right circumstances, if you are teens/uneducated/other reasons [I find valid] I see no point in bringing up a child

Likewise... if someone is living in terrible times, and there's no real way out, shouldn't they be given the choice/option to ring up a GP and say "I want to die now please".

ReputationRep:
    I dont think anyone has transcendent 'rights' anyway. You can do whatever you like with your own body. Some means of suicide are far better than others, and would have less of an impact on the public than someone jumping infront of a train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tldr22)
    I dont think anyone has transcendent 'rights' anyway. You can do whatever you like with your own body. Some means of suicide are far better than others, and would have less of an impact on the public than someone jumping infront of a train.
    Exactly.

I had to wait an hour for a tube once cos someone jumped in front of one.

It's like gods sake, I would've given you a lethal injection if you'd asked

ReputationRep:
    It is the individuals choice at the end of the day. If somebody is commited to ending their life it would be more humane to legalise euthanasia in order to save the family/firends finding a gruesome bathtub full of blood, or a body hanging from the ceiling.

ReputationRep:
    I think, according to nature and whatnot, a human's (or any animal, for that matter) first natural instinct would be to prevent harm preserve their own life.. we even do it subconciously - so if you touch something hot by accident, your reflexes would automatically move your hand away, without you having to think about it yourself; so the way i see it, I don't think you can be sane and want to kill yourself..

Most people who commit or are considering suicide have some sort of mental disorder such as severe depression, influenced by their living environment or quality of life.

Also, for a lot of people (I'm not saying all), the decision to commit suicide is quite rash, a last option as they believe there is no way out of whatever situation they are in - but i think there is always a way out of a bad situation. Its a decision that they make when they are not thinking straight - and obviously, suicide isn't something you can take back after you've done it..

Also, nobody has the right to judge if someone else's life is worthless or if they are a drain on society - you can have your own opinion about someone, yes, but at the end of the day that does not mean that that person's suicide is the right thing to do. Making it legal to do that would also lead to other problems e.g. euthanasia. So if someone is in a coma, and has been for a long time, you could say that they are a drain on society, using resources and not giving anything back, and obviously, as they can't give anyone their own opinion, someone else could speak for them and choose to end their life..

A lot of that probably didn't make much sense, but these are just the random thoughts that are going through my head.. and i guess what I'm trying to say is that if someone say's its okay for another person to take their own life, other things such as murder, covered up as suicide, and euthanasia of a person in coma could be difficult to resolve.

Also, in my opinion, suicide, although it may seem good to the person committing it, will lead to bad repercussion for that person's family/friends etc, so to me it seems a selfish thing to do.

But that is just my opinion - if never felt so bad that i've ever considered it, so i can only see suicide from my point of view and not through another person's eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously if you want to take your own life you aren't sane and are mentally ill. You already have the right to kill yourself - you don't have a right to make other people do it for you, and people shouldn't be allowed to euthanise others because they want to take their lives on a whim. That's quite frankly, a ridiculous suggestion, considering that wanting to die means you are mentally unwell (if you are in no physical pain) - euthanising people who want to kill themselves is laughable, time should be spent on therapy not on killing them as if that is an acceptable thing to do.

If you want to kill yourself and jump into the sea or whatever then you are perfectly free to do so at any time, no need to force people to kill you because you're too big a pussy to do it (ever stop to think that if you are too afraid to kill yourself then you shouldn't be doing it!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Most suicide's are emotional induced depression.

I've also heard Oxford/Cambridge University has the highest suicide rate of any Uni in the UK. people get stressed at Uni and lose confidence in themselves as they tend go get good grades all their lives and slump at their Uni course.

If people could think of the logical side of things before commiting suicide we won't have so much depression in our society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.