Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    3/4 of the comments about cameron are just reverse-snobbery. I might not personally believe in everything he says, but id have him, even a monkey over any labour muppet anyday.

ReputationRep:
    A new demonstration of what's wrong with our present government:

The UK Film Council, a government-backed agency, the role of which is to ensure that "the economic, cultural and educational aspects of film are represented effectively at home and abroad", advertised for a head of diversity.

This, I promise, is not a spoof. The council is looking for an "exceptional individual" to run its diversity department. Yes, department. How many of them are there, for goodness sake? And what do they do? Is the British film industry so riddled with racists, misogynists and homophobes that it needs awareness lessons?

Having picked through the details, I am beginning to appreciate that the implementation of a "diversity strategy" is more complicated than common sense might suggest. According to the council's website, the right candidate will "develop an active dialogue with key groups and opinion formers", "allocate funding to diversity activities" and, naturally, "manage the diversity department team". It's true: there's a team.

Now for the knockout question: what do you think the salary is? Remember, this is a position that is funded by taxpayers, partly in the form of cash from the National Lottery. For context, here is a range of jobs currently on offer elsewhere in the public sector. A crime bureau investigator with Essex Police is paid £16k-£22k. A staff nurse at an acute-care hospital in central London gets £28k-£29k. An Army sergeant can expect £32k-£36k.

No quibbles there: given the demands and social importance of these posts, it seems not unreasonable to assume that those filling them will provide us with value for money. But what about the Film Council's head of diversity? Come on, guess. How much are we paying for someone who can "make things happen" rather than just "talking the talk"? What's the price for "improving diversity", ie lavishing political correctness on a creative industry? £40k? £50k? Keep going. The answer is £70k, plus benefits.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...nt-afford.html

ReputationRep:
    And this ^^^^ when my girlfriend tells me today that the primary school she teaches at, they are going to have to lay off anumber of teaching assistants (on £10-15k a year) because of budget issues. They are already understaffed. She gets paid £28K, and is now working all hours to cover for the absence of teaching assistants. So much for not cutting front line staff in education, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    A new demonstration of what's wrong with our present government:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...nt-afford.html
    It is absolutely ridiculous.
    This is why the next government needs to take an axe to all the overbearing regulation and legislation. Even better, we could insert a sunset clause in all pieces of legislation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with your view regarding there hasn't been asset price inflation - and certainly since Northern Rock there has been a massive flip, based on the expectation of recovery and phoney cash. Everyone I speak to in the City said it was a no-brainer - loads of fresh cash, hot off the press, they weren't going to lend it out given the economic climate and risk of further default, and they weren't going to save it at 2-3%, so it had to be shares and gold. now, maybe the people i've been speaking to at gs, various hedge funds, deutsche, etc, are just taking me for a mug and telling me this for a joke (bit weird, given that i used to work with them), or maybe they are telling me this because this is what they genuinely believe and have acted accordingly.
    Perhaps. That doesn't square with what I've been told by city corporate lawyers. I don't doubt that it may have happened in some cases, but I have my doubts that there has been "massive asset price inflation": it would be good to see some evidence.

(Original post by Rooknight)
    Secondly, the idea is to develop more workforce for primary level labour in the stable family plan with marriage tax breaks (which I will admit needs tweaking).
    A plan which is targeted at primary level labour but only actually benefits the richest 6% of married couples needs more than a little tweaking! The gap between rhetoric and reality on this policy is truly enormous.

(Original post by jrhartley)
    And this ^^^^ when my girlfriend tells me today that the primary school she teaches at, they are going to have to lay off anumber of teaching assistants (on £10-15k a year) because of budget issues. They are already understaffed. She gets paid £28K, and is now working all hours to cover for the absence of teaching assistants. So much for not cutting front line staff in education, eh?
    You have to look at the bigger picture. Those teaching assistants never existed in the first place under a Conservative government. Primary school funding has rocketed under Labour. The simple statistics are that per pupil funding has increased £2,900 to over £5,850, or has gone up in real-terms by 6.4% per year since 1997, and there are 116,000 more teaching assistants than there were in 1997. Various sources for each of those; google if you want them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Perhaps. That doesn't square with what I've been told by city corporate lawyers. I don't doubt that it may have happened in some cases, but I have my doubts that there has been "massive asset price inflation": it would be good to see some evidence

look at the ftse. that's where the QE and TARP money has ended up. look at p/e ratios, and look at how the valuation is coming back as, despite earnings at the top end (eg. intel) the froth that was in there was still well above the actual earnings numbers. hence the dow heading back to below 10000 this pm probably, down 6% from the start of the year, and the ftse prob heading towards 4500-4700 over the next 6 months.

it was kind of convenient for the prop trading desks that this fait accompli happened - they bet on the markets using QE money (which was supposed to flow through to the bigger economy) and thereby recapitalised their Tier 1 ratios nicely - and got their staff huge bonuses on the back of this foregone conclusion. easy money!

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    You have to look at the bigger picture. Those teaching assistants never existed in the first place under a Conservative government. Primary school funding has rocketed under Labour. The simple statistics are that per pupil funding has increased £2,900 to over £5,850, or has gone up in real-terms by 6.4% per year since 1997, and there are 116,000 more teaching assistants than there were in 1997. Various sources for each of those; google if you want them.
    So that makes it alright then? Also the budget deficit was never so large over a conservative government. My point is precisely in relation to the post before about another non-job paying £80k. The Labour goverment loves spunking millions on commissions, paying legal aid for absurd people to bring cases against, for example, extradition, and PC-jobs like the one listed above. Meanwhile people earning hardly anything as teaching assistants are having their jobs cut - largely because Gordon put in place the mindset of 'don't worry, put it all on credit - future generations can sort the mess out'. And so people did the same in their households, borrowed absurdly, got into trouble, compounded by greed through securitisation, we are where we are now, with a huge liability looming over us for decades to come. which means even more teaching jobs will invariably have to go in the future.

its very easy to create jobs in the public sector on an unfunded basis.

the challenge of being a good politician is how to work out to spend money you can afford, not just print money / borrow and borrow, spend it, then have to make cuts when you figure out you've completely over-extended yourself.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.