Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if you had to choose one to study at A-Level, which one would you choose?
    please give your reasons.
    would you go for the easier one, why??
    would you go for the harder/more respected one?
    please explain.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wludeen)
    please explain.
    thanks
    I didn't have a choice at my college but doing general studies came in handy as Sheffield university take it and I got an A so my offer is only AB which is a good backup for me personally.
    I recommend looking at which universities accept ct/genstudies and which you lean towards more and make your decision that way.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities also ignore general studies (manchester and lancaster to name 2) unfortunately my college made it compulsory so i dont have a choice. its quite easy though, i only had a few lessons last year and got an A for As level. if you have the choice you might be better of reading both specifications to see what each one involves as different exam boards will have different topics

ReputationRep:
    I chose critical thinking, cos it isnt that much harder than general studies, but you actually get the chance to develop some skills from it, its a more respected a level and a lot more universities accept it whilst giving offers.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely critical thinking. For general studies I had zero lessons, just showed up for the exams and still got an A, but learnt nothing. I only did AS critical thinking and I had something like a lesson a week on it, but I still learnt about different ways of arguing and how to deconstruct an argument and stuff like that. It's more useful overall, you learn more and I think it looks better than general studies.

ReputationRep:
    Had to take the general studies exam the other week, it was honestly the ******** thing I have ever had to sit through (an hour and a half!!), do not do it!!

ReputationRep:
    I got AS CT a few years ago, I found that it helped a bit with my history source work, and a little bit with stats. It's more respectable than general studies I think, more unis accept it. But according to my friends, GS requires less effort :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wludeen)
    please explain.
    thanks
    Crit think is probably more respected. It can be a good measure of your ability to think logically, and weigh up evidence - useful if you're applying for something like law or history, when careful and precise reading of arguments is key. It also does not need much revision at all - its basically all skills based.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    critical thinking might be slightly more respected but I'd rather choose neither.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for Critical Thinking. I'm biased because I'm doing it myself, but at my school everyone has to do either GS or CT on top of their other AS levels, and whichever we do, we have to do the full A-level. No idea why.

If you're applying for somewhere like Oxbridge, I don't think they count either, and a lot more universities take CT than GS. I've heard GS is a lot easier and judging from what my friends have said, it doesn't really involve doing much. I don't know what it involves exactly - so it might be useful for some subjects, but you'd have to ask someone who was studying it.

One plus point about GS though, is that a lot of schools choose it as a subject that has to be taken by everyone, so admissions tutors often look at it as a marker of how hard a student will work at a subject that they didn't choose to do.

I know that Critical Thinking is really good if you're studying essay-based subjects and subjects that require analysis of data and sources, etc (for example History, RS, English, that sort of thing) as it teaches you not to believe everything you read, and how to analyse evidence and become better at putting across a point you want to make.

I've just realised that this post is waaay too long, but I hope it helps! :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.