Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've a question about how long I can get funding for. I've had conflicting info so far, so any information would be great!

Firstly, I've never done a HE course before.

I'm doing a foundation year and a 3 year degree, for definite.

I may do a year in industry - one extra year.
    I may do a masters - one extra year.

If I do both, separately, I'll be into 6 years, which some sources tell me is too long to get funding for every year.

So, am I left with not getting funding for a year, or can I get it for every year? If I have to miss out on a year, I would miss out getting funding for my fees while I'm on my year in industry, and pay them myself, and resume funding on my return to uni. Can I just opt in and out like this though?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, there isn't a set number of years. It's calculated as the length of your original course + 1 extra year (for false starts etc).

So a foundation year on top of a three year degree is fine if it's an integrated course (i.e. the foundation year basically makes the degree 4 years instead of three-it isn't a stand-alone year). A year in industry should also be covered I think.

Only undergraduate masters get SLC funding (but I think if you start on a BSc and want to move to an MSci for example, you have to do it before a certain point?) , postgrad masters you either have to fund yourself (such as by getting a career development loan) or look for other funding opportunities (i.e. research council grants, studentships etc).

ReputationRep:
    The only postgradute degree SLC will fund is PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    The only postgradute degree SLC will fund is PGCE.
    It would be at the same institution, so I gather that as long as my MSc is confirmed before the end of my second year I'm still eligible for funding for this (as it's integrated)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugs03)
    It would be at the same institution, so I gather that as long as my MSc is confirmed before the end of my second year I'm still eligible for funding for this (as it's integrated)..
    Yes, a four year MSc or MEng will get four years of funding.

It is students who graduate with a BSc/BA/BEng degree and then try to do an extra year that will have problems with funding.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... but my concern was whether a MSc in addition to a foundation year and a year in industry will cause me a problem..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugs03)
    Yes... but my concern was whether a MSc in addition to a foundation year and a year in industry will cause me a problem..
    If you can find a 6 year MSc with a foundation year and a year industry fully incorporated then you will get funding for it. I've never seen one but they might exist.

I believe that I have seen 5 year MSc courses with a year in industry and 5 year MSc courses incorporating a foundation year and if you get onto one of those then would be fine and you would get 5 years of funding.

If you have the university name and the 3 digit UCAS code(s) of the course(s) you are looking at I will be able to tell you if you'll be OK for funding.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.