Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've a question about how long I can get funding for. I've had conflicting info so far, so any information would be great!

Firstly, I've never done a HE course before.

I'm doing a foundation year and a 3 year degree, for definite.

I may do a year in industry - one extra year.
    I may do a masters - one extra year.

If I do both, separately, I'll be into 6 years, which some sources tell me is too long to get funding for every year.

So, am I left with not getting funding for a year, or can I get it for every year? If I have to miss out on a year, I would miss out getting funding for my fees while I'm on my year in industry, and pay them myself, and resume funding on my return to uni. Can I just opt in and out like this though?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, there isn't a set number of years. It's calculated as the length of your original course + 1 extra year (for false starts etc).

So a foundation year on top of a three year degree is fine if it's an integrated course (i.e. the foundation year basically makes the degree 4 years instead of three-it isn't a stand-alone year). A year in industry should also be covered I think.

Only undergraduate masters get SLC funding (but I think if you start on a BSc and want to move to an MSci for example, you have to do it before a certain point?) , postgrad masters you either have to fund yourself (such as by getting a career development loan) or look for other funding opportunities (i.e. research council grants, studentships etc).

ReputationRep:
    The only postgradute degree SLC will fund is PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    The only postgradute degree SLC will fund is PGCE.
    It would be at the same institution, so I gather that as long as my MSc is confirmed before the end of my second year I'm still eligible for funding for this (as it's integrated)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugs03)
    It would be at the same institution, so I gather that as long as my MSc is confirmed before the end of my second year I'm still eligible for funding for this (as it's integrated)..
    Yes, a four year MSc or MEng will get four years of funding.

It is students who graduate with a BSc/BA/BEng degree and then try to do an extra year that will have problems with funding.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... but my concern was whether a MSc in addition to a foundation year and a year in industry will cause me a problem..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugs03)
    Yes... but my concern was whether a MSc in addition to a foundation year and a year in industry will cause me a problem..
    If you can find a 6 year MSc with a foundation year and a year industry fully incorporated then you will get funding for it. I've never seen one but they might exist.

I believe that I have seen 5 year MSc courses with a year in industry and 5 year MSc courses incorporating a foundation year and if you get onto one of those then would be fine and you would get 5 years of funding.

If you have the university name and the 3 digit UCAS code(s) of the course(s) you are looking at I will be able to tell you if you'll be OK for funding.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.