Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview for the Primary PGCE course at Hull University and could give me some tips, or anyone who has an interview at Hull on the 3rd Feb, who I could ask some questions to, to calm my nerves. Thanks X

ReputationRep:
    Yo!

I have an interview the same day and I'm sooo nervous! Just thought id let you know your not alone lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've just posted a message on another post. I had my interview at Hull uni for the primary PGCE on 22nd January and found out yesterday I have a place!! :-D

The day is a lot more relaxed that you expect and everyone is really really nice. The interview is really more like a chat about why you want to be a teacher etc. Just make sure that you are up to date on everything going on with teaching at the moment!

Don't worry about the presentations either, there is about 5 of you in one room and everyone is as nervous as each other! Richard English will be watching you, he is a very happy chappy and makes you feel at ease! The presentation is just to show you can stand up and talk in front of people and are enthusiastic and not a bore!

Calm those nerves, it's not as bad as it looks on paper! the hardest part I found was the English test but I still managed to get on! I think you just have to be very enthusiastic and try make a good impression and stand out. They are looking for people who stand out!

Hope that is of some help

Oh, and take a drink with you! You'll need one from all the talking in the interview and presentation and will not have time to get one as you don't get a break it's all go go go!

ReputationRep:
    Omg i'm even more nervous now! :P In the presentations, did people just stand up and talk about things or did they involve the people who were listening? Did they bring props or anything? I have an idea what I'm going to talk about but wasn't sure if it really fits in with the presentation bit so am stressing lots haha.

Do you interview alone or as a group?

Thanks so much if u can answer these!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and in the interview, when you say make sure you are up to date on everthing going on in teaching at the moment, could you give me like an example of something they asked you so I know if I am preparedish?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mostly people just stood up and talked about things and didn't really involve the group at all, but that was in my group I don't know what went on in the others! Some people brought props such as pictures and stuff but some people just stood up and talked. Personally, I thought the people with the props gave a better impression as they looked more prepared than people just standing up and talking! What topic were you thinking? Oh and in the interview you just have to make sure you know everything about the current primary curriculum because they will probably ask questions on that, they asked me stuff like what i thought of the way that the curriculum is taught now compared to when I was at school! They talked about behaviour management and how you deal with it. You also need to be up to date with the latest news. BBC news has an education section I just looked on there!

Hope that helped? Don't be nervous! If you have done your research and you are passionate about teaching I am sure that will come across in your interview!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and they ask you about things such as your own education, like why you chose the choices you did for college/uni. They are also interested to know about current/ previous work and what your relationships were like with the employers!

ReputationRep:
    Just realised the other question! You will be interviewed on your own. There is about 5 different interviewers, I got a local head teacher who was very nice! You will be introduced to the interviewers at the beginning of the day before anything starts!

:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    RAWR i know its been ages but fank u so much for your advice! I ended up with a place yaaaay!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear it! Join this group if you have facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7751139&ref=ts

ReputationRep:
    Hello you two! I'm also going to Hull uni in Sept on a primary pgce but i missed the course day last week unfortunately (I was all busy sunning myself in Glastonbury) but I am all concerned I missed out on quite a bit??! What was it like? Also, that facebook group link doesn't work for me? Would love to meet people starting in September too.

Thanks, Shelly

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.