Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering how good the internet is in the Aberystwyth 1st year accommodation. Whenever I see a bit on the news where people are still using dial-up, because they can't get broadband in their region, it's usually a little old lady in the Welsh countryside. Aberystwyth is my first choice, so I hope to be one of those little old ladies. Can anyone kindly tell me what kind of download speeds you get there? Or share any related experiences?

ReputationRep:
    From what I heard they've finally upgraded from 28.8k to 56k.

ReputationRep:
    When you search for something you have to wait for 40 minutes for a messenger-sheep to bring it to you.

ReputationRep:
    I am in Aberystwyth university stop the internet here is very modern stop you should come here too stop

ReputationRep:
    So, the consensus is that's it's not too shabby. I think I can get used to that. My internet's not great at home in Milton Keynes, but we have messenger cows (that have to go around all the roundabouts).

ReputationRep:
    The internet in halls is pretty decent. I could always stream stuff off iPlayer at off-peak times. It does get a little slower when all your block is using it, but its ALOT faster than what we get in town

ReputationRep:
    Uni network is part of the Janet network (all unis use it, direct connection to transatlantic server etc- i.e. no general public traffic mixed in) and the main line in is 155MB/s with good networking throughout the uni. Full duplex at all points, wired everywhere, wireless in all main buildings but not accomodation. Town internet is good. No cable in town like alot of places but most internet providers are in Aber and the connections are very good quality.

ReputationRep:
    There's not much choice with internet providers in town - I think it's a choice between BT and sky - but, well, I'm using it at the moment and it does everything I need it to. The only time I get fed up with my internet is that the wireless box is in the basement and I live in the roof, but that's not what you're worried about is it? :P:

Yea, 'net's fine here.

ReputationRep:
    Is decent. Been watching all the YouTube and iPlayer

Though when you watch the iPlayer on HD it does lag a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I am in Penbryn halls & I get exceptionally fast internet, 94mbit~ at times, down to about 10~ during peak times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.