Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When the man ejaculates into the female, is each sperm of that 'session' identical? For instance, if a different sperm cell - other than the one which was responsible for creating me - reached the egg first, would I have slightly different genes, even look different?

I do feel dumb for asking this as i'm quite sure that each sperm is not identical, but if you say they're not identical please elaborate as to why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froobie)
    When the man ejaculates into the female, is each sperm of that 'session' identical? For instance, if a different sperm cell - other than the one which was responsible for creating me - reached the egg first, would I have slightly different genes, even look different?

I do feel dumb for asking this as i'm quite sure that each sperm is not identical, but if you say they're not identical please elaborate as to why
    not identical.....think about twins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froobie)

How old are you?
    Do you know anything about genes/meiosis?

ReputationRep:
    Structurally I think so, genetically different though.

ReputationRep:
    no. sperm are generated by meiosis where one parent cell divides into four daughter cells are non-identical...hence non-identical twins can occur
    normal cell generation is via mitosis where one cell divides into 2 identical cells...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sperm from one man is not identical.

Males carry an X and a Y chromosome, and you'll find that about half of their gametes (sperm) will carry an X and half will carry a Y.

If a male is heterozygous for any genes, then half his sperm will carry one allele and half the other. And then think about the number of different genes there are.

Recombination shuffles combinations of alleles between homologous chromosomes, making it almost certain that none of his sperm will be identical.

Mutations sometimes occur during meiosis and this will also add variation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    How old are you?
    Really stupid comment, it doesn't matter how old you are...8 or 40, not everybody's done biology to know about how genes/meiosis works.

Stop being so judgemental, all the OP did is ask a simple question out of curiosity and it's a perfectly reasonable one...not exactly a common sense or general knowledge question now is it. :dry:

OP in answer to your question, not all sperm cells carry the same DNA...the DNA sequence can have many different combinations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Really stupid comment, it doesn't matter how old you are...8 or 40, not everybody's done biology to know about how genes/meiosis works.

Stop being so judgemental, all the OP did is ask a simple question out of curiosity and it's a perfectly reasonable one...not exactly a common sense or general knowledge question now is it. :dry:

OP in answer to your question, not all sperm cells carry the same DNA...the DNA sequence can have many different combinations.
    Because i was curious about OP's age?
    At gcse you learn about sperm and meiosis, and i wanted to know if they had learnt this.
    I wasnt being judgemental at all, dont assume my tone of post 'playboy king' cus i was only asking a simple question, i wasnt being patronizing at all.
    w a n k e r

ReputationRep:
    OP, put it this way. If they were all the same - all siblings would be clones.
    Does that help straighten it out in your mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    No need to be rude, it is a resonable question - not everybody does biology so they are unlikely to know/remember anything about genes/meiosis....
    i was asking his ******* age?! how is that being rude?!

you people have got to stop assuming tone of posts when reading them

ReputationRep:
    i was asking his ******* age?! how is that being rude?!

you people have got to stop assuming tone of posts when reading them
    Ah okay, if that's the case my bad.

ReputationRep:
    No, but every sperm is sacred...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    OP, put it this way. If they were all the same - all siblings would be clones.
    Does that help straighten it out in your mind?
    He said of that session. It would be better to talk about brother-sister twins (like me! ).

ReputationRep:
    Of course they're not all the same. Think about fraternal twins. They're from the same conception session and same birth, but they can look very different, they can even have different genders, because they're made from different sperm which have different DNAs.

Nope, otherwise not every sperm would be sacred.

ReputationRep:
    each is structually the same, but the genetic make up of each is different. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz)
    Structurally I think so, genetically different though.
    This.
    Each sperm carries different genetic information

(Original post by jismith1989)
    No, but every sperm is sacred...

This. Definately.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?
    The exact reply I specifically asked not to give.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone who posted an aswer, I understand it now

That python clip never fails to make me laugh also.

I'm a 19 year old female btw, and plan on studying something at university a little more credible than zoology, Buster_Bunny (ooh I went there).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.