Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving the door on the latch and going out - acceptable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how stupid some people are.:rolleyes:

On Thursday evening, I went out just after 6pm and shut the door behind me. I came back just after 11pm. In order to get in, I have to use a swipe card, go up a flight of stairs and unlock a door.

No-one was around but the door was on the latch. This has happened before and no-one seems to care / understand that anyone could just walk in. (This happened one time - someone had left the door on the latch, I walked in and scared the **** out of a hallmate:o: )

I spoke to a hallmate who asked me if I was talking the door being left at 3am. She then said it was one of the guys who did it.

I've left the door on the latch before; but that's generally to let someone in. (this takes about 30 seconds)

Am I over reacting, or is this not acceptable? Someone (she's moved out now) in the flat above kept doing this, and wondered why she'd get her belongings stolen.

ReputationRep:
    you're not overreacting... burglaries are really common in halls of residence, you can't be too careful.

when I went for a run today without any pockets, I just put my key in my bra

ReputationRep:
    Lol. The door to our flat (which is the only point of access, ie, there's no main swipe door) is always open. Overnight, when we're at lectures, whenever. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think it is acceptable. They're putting everyone else at risk and it's not fair. But at the same time, it's a bit of a hard subject to breach. The fact that the girl who has now moved out had things stolent because of leaving the door on the latch is argument enough to ask them to stop it. Just say it in passing, with a big smile and be affable. If it doesn't work, get together some other hallmates who feel the same and write a letter or something. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think anyone else cares about this. Ok, we have locks on our doors; but anyone could just walk into the kitchen and take stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It might just be general ignorance, in my friends dorms there are a lot of people that aren't from cities and think its just the norm to leave stuff unlocked

ReputationRep:
    Seriously dude you need to get your own place on your own and never ever share again. All you seem to do it moan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatmaCrotch)
    Seriously dude you need to get your own place on your own and never ever share again. All you seem to do it moan?
    That's what having inconsiderate ***** as hallmates does.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's not acceptable, anybody could wander in. Just make sure you lock your bedroom door when you go out and don't leave anything valuable in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I always lock my door and don't leave anything valuable in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    This is why thieves target student accommodation, since easy access and guaranteed stash (mobiles, laptops, ipods, bikes) makes for an easy crime. Have a discussion about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Yeah, I always lock my door and don't leave anything valuable in the kitchen.

You are the one in the right about this, and you are doing the right things in the protection of your stuff. I know care about the others but honestly, if they wont listen then just put up a notice on the inside of the front door, warning them that their insurance is invalidated if they cant be mature enough to lock it and take a key

ReputationRep:
    I am tempted to do that.

Here we go again:
    I went out again last night and came home to find the door on the latch. They rarely do this in the day - it's always at night.

ReputationRep:

You've clearly never experienced inconsiderate/plain bloody silly housemates. This is a pretty fair thing to moan about in my opionion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    You've clearly never experienced inconsiderate/plain bloody silly housemates. This is a pretty fair thing to moan about in my opionion!
    Yes I agree but every day brings a different moan from the dude.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree but every day brings a different moan from the dude.

So he's more vocal than other people with problem housemates. Nothing wrong with that - if he finds venting and asking for help on here helps, then so be it. You are not under any obligation to read his threads. If they bug you, just ignore them

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like it if no-one is around, if people are constantly coming in and out because there's a party or whatever, then that's ok. One of my flatmates lost her keys, and started leaving the flat door wedged open, because she was too cheep to buy another set. She also left her room unlocked because of this, but that's her perogative.

Whilst she was doing this, I felt a bit panicy about locking my bedroom door, as I was worried someone could easily nick my laptop if I forgot to. I think it's acceptable to ask that it isn't done when no-one is in communal areas ect- or just to ask why it is being done. The other worry is people stealing mail, because they think there might be money in it, or whatever.

Tbh, I think this is a much more valid concern than concerns over mess ect, because they are kind of putting everyone's safety at risk. What if a violent criminal got in? I don't think that's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    So he's more vocal than other people with problem housemates. Nothing wrong with that - if he finds venting and asking for help on here helps, then so be it. You are not under any obligation to read his threads. If they bug you, just ignore them
    I'm a she.:p:

if people are constantly coming in and out because there's a party or whatever, then that's ok.
    I have no problem with this either - but I've come home twice after 11pm (well, Wednesday it was nearer 12am) and the door was on the latch. Both times no-one was around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    I'm a she.:p:

I have no problem with this either - but I've come home twice after 11pm (well, Wednesday it was nearer 12am) and the door was on the latch. Both times no-one was around.

Apologies then :p:

ReputationRep:
    I swear to god you had a boy symbol next to your name before.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.