Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a girl but I have no close female friends watch

I have three really awesome guy friends who I spend quite a lot of time with, lots of acquaintances from my course, societies etc. (male and female) and a few friends at home, none of whom I'm particularly close with anymore.
    Since being at uni and making new friends again, I've realised I prefer the company of my guy mates to hanging out with girls, and that I don't really have any close female friends at all (apart from one girl in my corridor, but I don't spend much time with her) Is this weird? I feel like I'm sort of missing out, not having a female friend to chat/gossip about girly stuff with. Does anyone else feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have three really awesome guy friends who I spend quite a lot of time with, lots of acquaintances from my course, societies etc. (male and female) and a few friends at home, none of whom I'm particularly close with anymore.
    Since being at uni and making new friends again, I've realised I prefer the company of my guy mates to hanging out with girls, and that I don't really have any close female friends at all (apart from one girl in my corridor, but I don't spend much time with her) Is this weird? I feel like I'm sort of missing out, not having a female friend to chat/gossip about girly stuff with. Does anyone else feel this way?
    Why would you want to? I've overheard typically female conversations of this nature and they're meaningless, vacuous, drivel.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any close, 'girly' female friends, either. I don't really get on with 'girly' people at all - our interests and personalities tend to clash. My closest friends are male, or less-feminine females and lesbians.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any close girl friends either, not anymore. I sometimes miss the girly talk but on the other hand...its good to wind my male friends up with :p:

They make better company I think

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. Ever since I even started nursery/school Ive always had primarily male friends. I'm not really sure why it is either..I think maybe that *generally* men are more down to earth and less superficial than women. I just find men easier to relate to and get on with. I do have quite a few female friends but as you said I wouldnt consider any of them close friends really. Girls generally tend to irritate me a lot more than men..so I suppose Im less tolerant and less likely to get to know someone better!

ReputationRep:
    It's not weird at all!

I found it quite hard to adjust to having only 1 male in my class at uni because I'm just more comfortable in making friends with guys!

I used to see groups of girls on nights out and feel a little jealous and like I was missing out so you're not alone. The girl mates I do have just aren't very girly so it's the best of both worlds :P

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation when I was in my first year. 3 intelligent guys who were far better company and more amusing (if a little mean, but it was all in jest) than any of the girls on the course. Like Notker said, all they spoke about was vacuous, meaningless drivel.
    Don't get me wrong, I still have female friends. My closest friend is a girl who I've known since birth, but we know each other so well it would be weird if we didn't get along.
    I've had various girly friend groups and through no direct choice of my own, always find myself drifiting away eventually, although we still get on.
    If you prefer guy friends, there's no problem! It's perfectly normal. If you feel there's something missing, though, then maybe there is. But there's no need to force friendships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm similar and I don't think it's weird at all! I have 3 or 4 close girl friends from home who I get on with great and can talk to about clothes, make-up, shopping and the like, but I MUCH prefer the company of my great male friends. A couple are gay, so I get the same girly conversation without the stigmas attached to girl friends! I really do prefer the company of guys, and always have. I was a tomboy when I was little and it wasn't until around my GCSE's that I started hanging out with more girls. I live in the countryside when at home so have been raised walking in fields and climbing trees with my male friends. I have some amazingly close guy friends who I consider my best friends but it is great to have a mixture. I have the best of both worlds, I think. My boyfriend likes that my best friends are guys too as he gets on with them great! Since being in a city for Uni, I have come out as a little more girly, I love shopping and fashion and going for tea and cake with my girl friends from Uni. They're great for conversation, gossip and giggles but I don't consider them 'best friends', which isn't a bad thing!!

If you're honestly concerned about missing out, try and make an effort with this girl on your corridor some more. Invite her out for a coffee or to go shopping. Ask her to help you pick an outfit sometime for going out, or invite her to the cinema, each of these will give you an idea of whether or not you're interested in the same things.

Try joining a female-based society and organise socials to get to know more girls.

Either way, it isn't weird to prefer the company of guys, I've always found it less trouble/hassle to be friends with the male of the species but maybe that's just personal preference! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    lets not be unfair and stereotype girls as *****y and silly. All my closest friends are girls- like me- and we hardly gossip. We have as much fun as boys do.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we all prefer guy's company

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same: 3 close guy mates and no female ones. I find I can't usually get on with girls as well, idk. 'Girly' conversations are incredibly dull anyway, in my experience. Just spend time with the people you enjoy spending time with and stop worrying

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that I find is the difference between having a single close female friend and a group of female friends is that you can be much more yourself with one friend. It seems like there's a hidden pretense with a group, you all feel like if you act like yourself one person will think it's weird, or something like that will happen. It's like you all have a standard to live up to - even if you get along really well. It gets tiring after a while. That's why sometimes when you hang out with a group of girls normally, when everyone else is busy and you can only hang around with one of the group, it gets weird or awkward or you can't hold a conversation. But maybe that's one of the better parts of having a group, you're like a formula and once one of you is taken away it doesn't work quite as well.
    But I still prefer having my one close friend. It's much easier. Although when I start Uni again I'm sure I'll make more friends, as she's done, we can still go back to each other and it's like a safehouse. There's no pressure with new friendships because I've got this one friend.
    And like others have said, having guy friends is nicer, because there's no pretense or expectation and you can be yourself, because guys tend to be down to earth. There's no pressure to tell them everything, they're just happy to have the company of a friend, and if you're not there they don't mind either. It can leave you feeling a bit unwanted at times but if you've got guy friends who are more sociable, that's nice too. Mine weren't but it was fine because there was no pressure to "go out tonight" and if you didn't go out tonight, or tomorrow night, or the next night you wouldn't have people asking if you're ok all the time. It's generally easier having guy friends, I think.
    Personally I prefer video games and food and drinking to makeup and phones and clubbing anyway. That probably contributes a bit to my choices. =p And men's sense of humour is more my bag as well.
    It's really very, very normal, and I would even say it's better.

ReputationRep:
    i have more male friends. i find guys easier to talk to and in my experience girls are normally quite *****y!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm exactly the same. In my year the percentage ratio of boys:girls is about 70:30. Even though I talk to the other girls I'm not really close to them and my main friends are all male. There's nothing wrong with it, although it can get lonely when they gang up on you...

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same. I have a few close girl friends at home. But at uni I'm really close with a few guys, I have girl friends at uni but none that I'm particularly close to. Generally I do get on better with guys but it would be nice to have a close girl friend at uni.
    You're not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    Either you're all entirely ignorant or trying to be some quaint little tom-boys who assume that girls conversations consist entirely of either gossip, makeup or clothing.

Who are the vacuous ones now?

Haha! Im sure it is normal...~
    Cos Im close with guy friends too. I have many girl friends but not close ones.~
    Ive even learnt to go shopping with guys too, which I used to find it really hard!hehe^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Either you're all entirely ignorant or trying to be some quaint little tom-boys who assume that girls conversations consist entirely of either gossip, makeup or clothing.

Who are the vacuous ones now?
    Are you a guy or a girl?
    And no, I was generalising, but I have had a lot of makeup/clothing/gossip related experiences when I've been friends with a group of girls. I've had a lot of profound conversations as well. (Mostly when we'd been to the pub!) but I don't know how you can suggest that it doesn't happen. Go to any Oceana bathroom and observe. I do find it easier when on a site like TSR in a trivial discussion in a forum to simplify things. It was a simple question and, granted, I could have given a simpler answer, but I was just reeling out whatever thoughts came into my head that I could write down quick enough before they went away. Doesn't mean it's the be all and end all of my opinion.

And besides, just because it's not what you experienced, doesn't mean it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's a bit closed minded to assume all of us are either one or the other, don't you think? =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surrealdelirium)
    Are you a guy or a girl?
    And no, I was generalising, but I have had a lot of makeup/clothing/gossip related experiences when I've been friends with a group of girls. I've had a lot of profound conversations as well. (Mostly when we'd been to the pub!) but I don't know how you can suggest that it doesn't happen. Go to any Oceana bathroom and observe. I do find it easier when on a site like TSR in a trivial discussion in a forum to simplify things. It was a simple question and, granted, I could have given a simpler answer, but I was just reeling out whatever thoughts came into my head that I could write down quick enough before they went away. Doesn't mean it's the be all and end all of my opinion.

And besides, just because it's not what you experienced, doesn't mean it's wrong.
    I'm a girl.

Lads gossip as much as girls :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.