Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warwick Vs Bristol watch

• View Poll Results: What university is better??
    Warwick
    57.14%
    Bristol
    36.73%
    Not sure??
    6.12%

ReputationRep:
    What university would you say was better overall and why??

ReputationRep:
    warwick.

highly progressive. excellent business school. better placement in ibanks and in the finance world, in general.
    as a result, alumni are richer/wealthier, though still is a very young institution.

bristol is not far behind.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick>Bristol, but I doubt the distance between the two is immense!

Also, personal preference applies, do you like the City life or relaxed Campus atmosphere, when I was a student at Warwick it was brilliant, loved the vibe!

ReputationRep:
    it at 50:50 atm.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is more traditionally 'prestigious' and well thought of amongst the upper classes and is seen as the best oxbridge alternative. Warwick is probably better academically and more progressive (ie research), but is not very 'traditional' like Oxbridge. The quality of applicants and students is about the same. Warwick is more represented in banking because it's speciality is in finance, buisness, maths areas (because it is a new institution) whereas Bristol is more favoured in the law, government, journalism world because it is better for things like history, law and English.

When you look deeper they are very different universities with different characteristics. It is almost like comparing LSE (warwick like) with Oxford (more Bristol)

ReputationRep:
    Overall in term of academic: Bristol >= Warwick

Civil Engineering: Bristol >> Warwick

Location, student life: Bristol >>>>> Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    What is "better overall" supposed to mean? Are you concerned with job prospects in engineering, job prospects in a different field, the city in which the university is based in, the social life, research quality, calibre of academics teaching you, teaching quality, how many ducks there are on average per sq ft...

There are too many factors to consider, most of which can't or are hard to quantify (except maybe the ducks...) and no one of this forum could give you a proper answer. They are both good universties, so visit them and get a feel for the place (one is a campus-based university, the other is city-based). Check out the modules available, the teaching facilities, speak to the academic staff...This would be much more helpful than asking a highly skewed sample of sixth formers on TSR.

EDIT: I went to Warwick so if you need any info about the university, campus-life and the likes you can PM me.

ReputationRep:
    bristol:awesome:

although i did apply to warwick, it was really nice, but bristol is better

ReputationRep:
    They're both very close academically across the board. Pick which one you think you'll be happier at.

Although for Civil Engineering in particular Bristol is much more competitive (a typical Bristol offer is AAA versus BBB at Warwick) which means the students tend to be much more academically driven.

(Original post by alexsheppard11)
    bristol:awesome:

although i did apply to warwick, it was really nice, but bristol is better
    This, precisely!

I didn't like the way they injected business at every opportunity (I applied for engineering).

Bristol. Warwick is like a social climbing chav whore of a university.

ReputationRep:
    For engineering and location, Bristol > Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    wow only BBB for civil engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victor_b1992)
    What university would you say was better overall and why??
    I'm studying civil engineering and you have to understand that you will learn all the same stuff in engineering whether it may be warwick or bristol. Theres no better or worse, both are universities in which you could acquire a degree that is not more worth than the other.

In civil engineering its not from where you have obtained your degree but about your work experience. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawww)
    I'm studying civil engineering and you have to understand that you will learn all the same stuff in engineering whether it may be warwick or bristol. Theres no better or worse, both are universities in which you could acquire a degree that is not more worth than the other.

In civil engineering its not from where you have obtained your degree but about your work experience. Good luck.
    what university do you go to??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For civil engineering, I'd say Bristol. Otherwise, generally, I must say I pretty much agree with AfghanistanBananistan. That's a surprise! :eek:

(Original post by hamzab)
    Warwick>Bristol, but I doubt the distance between the two is immense!

Also, personal preference applies, do you like the City life or relaxed Campus atmosphere, when I was a student at Warwick it was brilliant, loved the vibe!
    When were you ever a student at Warwick? What did you even study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Another way of looking at is is that Warwick is a university that's not hung up on the past given that it's achieved more in 40 years than most universities have in upwards of a hundred...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    Another way of looking at is is that Warwick is a university that's not hung up on the past given that it's achieved more in 40 years than most universities have in upwards of a hundred...
    Totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Well judging by the places you've applied to I can see why you consider Warwick to be a 'social climbing chav whore' - St Andrews, Durham, Exeter etc are reknowned for their large snobbish element, the rahs who couldn't get into Oxbridge, and you evidently slip nicely into that category.

I agree with the later poster, actually, who said Warwick has achieved more in 40 years than the majority of older unis have achieved in over a hundred.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.