Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I think I may have well and truly screwed up :bawling:.

On my offer letter, it says 'The final UCAS deadline for accepting or declining the offer of a place will be in May 2010, but it would be helpful if you could let us know as soon as possible and no later than 15 January 2010 whether you intend to accept an offer by completing the web form' etc. The bit in bold is the bit that's worrying me. I didn't complete the form within the time limit, because I was having massive technical problems with the site, in the sense that it wouldn't load on any of the home computers. And in the time since then, I've been on study leave and haven't thought about anything UCAS related at all. I've just sent a very apologetic email to the admissions tutor explaining the situation, and asking that I could confirm that I intend to take up the place, but I'm pretty damn scared now... they can't withdraw the offer can they?! It has appeared on UCAS as an offer, and 'reply to web form' isn't one of the conditions, so I'm hoping that nothing bad will come of this except a little inconvenience.

I know it's my fault for being such an idiot, and I know the admissions people are probably going to be really annoyed with me, but can someone give an opinion on what might happen? Aaargghhhh man .

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. There, that's my opinion. You'll have made a couple of admissions people grumpy, but nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    They said themselves that the final deadline is the UCAS one, only that it would be helpful to reply before then...not compulsory
    In my opinion, you're perfectly in the right!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, it says the final deadline is May, it's just helpful if you do it by January. They can't expect everyone to reply before they've even got their other offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    You'll be fine. There, that's my opinion. You'll have made a couple of admissions people grumpy, but nothing more.
    You think so? >_< I really hope it's going to be nothing bad, and common sense is telling me that they can't just take away an offer once they've put it on UCAS, but I feel like the biggest loser in the WORLD at the moment.

I hope I was apologetic enough in my email I guess I did have a fair enough reason for not replying to the form, it's just the fact that I forgot about it for a whole WEEK that's the problem.

And thanks. Opinions are good.

ReputationRep:
    They said "it would be helpful if...", not "if you don't do this, your place is forfeit". You're still well within UCAS's time limit, and you've explained and apologised. Worst that will happen is that a few admissions tutors will be annoyed with you. You aren't going to lose your place.

ReputationRep:
    it would be helpful if...

Stop worrying, you know it's irrational. I hope you didn't make that apologetic e-mail too long, otherwise the tutor might get a bit annoyed for having to read it all when it's just about a triviality :p: .

ReputationRep:
    The admissions secretary at New is lovely... she's not going to hunt you down and eat you or anything :tongue:

I imagine they'll understand

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about ittt. I'm pretty sure a University can only withdraw an offer if you manage to do something like get a criminal record/something as serious as that. Otherwise, you should be alright! Seriously, you've worked so hard to get an offer, you don't really think they would withdraw it over such a trivial matter do you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful to hear - I just can't believe I'd be so silly as to forget to contact them beforehand! I got out my offer letter earlier just to check there weren't any bits I'd missed, and my heart went through the FLOOR when I saw that date.

I think you're right, they can't withdraw the offer, they'll just be a little disgruntled, but I'm gutted that I slipped up on what seems to be the most trivial part of the application after it went so well up to now :rolleyes:! And nah, my email wasn't TOO long, but I bet the admissions tutor will be able to sense the fear in my tone when she reads it, haha.

I was planning on waiting until January results to reply to UCAS so I can choose a wise insurance choice, but I think I'm going to do it now so that there's no chance I'll lose my place :facepalm:!

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic , it'll work out (: x

ReputationRep:
    HEY,
    I take offence to this title.

_I_ remain the biggest idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    HEY,
    I take offence to this title.

_I_ remain the biggest idiot.
    Sorry :p: I felt like a bigger idiot due to the fact that at least you're already IN... (well, as good as in, anyway!) Let's call it quits, hehe.

At least my stomach isn't in so much of a knot now, I can breathe again :o:.

Man, I'm glad they didn't put me through a 'common-sense' test, or else I'd have failed epically, I'm so stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabobble)
    Sorry :p: I felt like a bigger idiot due to the fact that at least you're already IN... (well, as good as in, anyway!) Let's call it quits, hehe.

At least my stomach isn't in so much of a knot now, I can breathe again :o:.

Man, I'm glad they didn't put me through a 'common-sense' test, or else I'd have failed epically, I'm so stupid!
    Yeah, no
    I really am not as good as in
    I still have to wait for a letter confirming that my gcses are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    Yeah, no
    I really am not as good as in
    I still have to wait for a letter confirming that my gcses are fine
    Aw, man, did they not get back to you sooner? There's got to be such a small chance that you're not still in, I wouldn't worry too much. Well, I personally would, but I worry about everything, lol. I'm sure it'll be fine!

They must have wanted you enough to give you a definite place, so I doubt a total of one gcse through a genuine mistake will change their mind!

ReputationRep:
    Aw, man, did they not get back to you sooner? There's got to be such a small chance that you're not still in, I wouldn't worry too much. Well, I personally would, but I worry about everything, lol. I'm sure it'll be fine!

They must have wanted you enough to give you a definite place, so I doubt a total of one gcse through a genuine mistake will change their mind!
    Actually, it was 3.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    man you must've been going through hell, I ******* hate UCAS

ReputationRep:
    it would be helpful if you could let us know as soon as possible and no later than 15 January 2010 whether you intend to accept an offer by completing the web form'
    You weren't helpful but you didn't mess it up completly for them, I'm sure they will appriciate you being apologetic and all will be well not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    Actually, it was 3.
    LOL
    Really? I thought it was like two short courses instead of whole ones, but surely even if it was 3, then it's still only a total difference of 1.5 subjects? I should pay more attention :rolleyes:.

Besides, the A levels and interview will have been far more important in their decision...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kestrell)
    You weren't helpful but you didn't mess it up completly for them, I'm sure they will appriciate you being apologetic and all will be well not to worry.
    Hehe I know, I feel like such a bad person! The admissions people were so nice to me, and I was blatantly unhelpful to them! *sigh*. And thanks for the reassurance, I need it :o:!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.