Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Argument:'There is no point going to university if it isn't in the Russell Group' watch

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, I applied for one university in the Russell group despite having straight As predicted. I picked my choices for the course first, then the place (city, town, campus etc.) and lastly only took prestige into account slightly. I applied to Bristol because I love its course, not because it's in the Russell group.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any such written rule that would kick unis out of the Russell Group if their standard falls?

If not why would Russell Group unis have any special status? They are all independent institutions. Even if this discussion was regarding the subset of those unis in the Russell Group which are colleges of the University of London, then I guess there would have been something to talk about. Otherwise, meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    On the other hand, "there is no point of going to a university outside of the Russell and the 1994 groups" does make some sense.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    That's a stupid statement and the person who made it obviously needs to find out what Russell Group actually is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What about medical schools? The majority won't be in the Russell Group. Does that mean potential medics shouldn't bother going to them?

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, "there is no point of going to a university outside of the Russell and the 1994 groups" does make some sense.
    (Original post by ZJ4GK)
    This.
    LOL at two A-Level students thinking that they are in a position to make such bold statements.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit off, but everyone should apply to the best unis they think they can get into. Everyone on the IB at our college got given a list of Russell Group unis and were told to look at those first though, so it's a good starting point for good students. I definitely based mine around the list..
    It also depends on what subject you're doing surely?
    And some very good unis aren't on the list of course.

(Original post by pamelaa)
    I think if I asked anyone I know my age outside of TSR what the Russell group is they'd probably think it was a Russell Brand appreciation group or just give me a wtf i dunno look.
    I feel bad for these people,but you are right sadly..

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the topic the OP was trying to get across.

I do think its sad atm how students are being coerced into applying to uni; thinking it'll make everything easier after wards.
    The sad reality is; especially with the current economic state, that going to a uni that isnt in the top 20 of its courses field will probably not make much of a difference to job prospects. And thus many students naively get into lots of debt for the sake of a degree, that may not have any affect on their employability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScillyRose)
    That's a bit off, but everyone should apply to the best unis they think they can get into. Everyone on the IB at our college got given a list of Russell Group unis and were told to look at those first though, so it's a good starting point for good students. I definitely based mine around the list..

I feel bad for these people,but you are right sadly..
    You shouldn't feel sorry for them, many of them are probably smarter and are at better unis than you or me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You are part of everything that is wrong with this world.
    Oh and why is that then? Just because I didn't know what it was? No one is perfect. Oh but I suppose you think you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScillyRose)
    I feel bad for you and your teachers. The Russell Group is a lobby group for the research-intensive universities. It has nothing to do with how 'good' a university is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    I think this is the topic the OP was trying to get across.

I do think its sad atm how students are being coerced into applying to uni; thinking it'll make everything easier after wards.
    The sad reality is; especially with the current economic state, that going to a uni that isnt in the top 20 of its courses field will probably not make much of a difference to job prospects. And thus many students naively get into lots of debt for the sake of a degree, that may not have any affect on their employability.
    Bugger, my university is 24th for my subject. Should I just quit now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    Even if this were the case*, this does not prove that there is no point in going to uni as uni is not some job training college that provides no benefits other than improved employment prospects. Surely getting the chance to study a subject you are passionate about for 3/4 years is worth something on its own?

And of course, the economic climate will probably have changed in 3 years time.

* It is not the case and again, as an A-Level student you clearly do not have the required life experience to make such a bold assertion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Oh and why is that then? Just because I didn't know what it was? No one is perfect. Oh but I suppose you think you are.
    I KNOW I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Before anyone goes crazy, I myself will be going to a university not in the Russell Group in September.

TSR Argument-'There is no point going to university if it isn't in the Russell Group'

Give your views with reasons.

I hope that this thread will make an impact on people to make better decisions.
    Rubbish. If everyone took that attitude, we'd have a pretty appalling skills shortage. It's just elitism for elitism's sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I KNOW I am.
    You're not when you think me not knowing what The Russel Group is, is everything that's wrong with this world. Warped.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what the Russell Group is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I don't even know what the Russell Group is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    You're not when you think me not knowing what The Russel Group is, is everything that's wrong with this world. Warped.
    I said part of .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    What about medical schools? The majority won't be in the Russell Group. Does that mean potential medics shouldn't bother going to them?

Medicine is unique though in that it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what uni you go to to study.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.