Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kajama)
    You can translate it yourself and than go to a certified translator to verify it for you. It will cost, but it will cost less than a full translation.
    That'd take too long sadly (and I have collections at la Sorbonne right now so kinda ****** anyway) and the certified translation cannot be done by me. But managed to bribe a translator (won't say how much as it depresses me) and will get the documents tomorrow. By this point I just want the applications to get through to the admission committee, so I feel strangely relieved as well. Also less bitter about having been rejected last year - the same thing probably happened, without notice.

The problem with the French administration is that they have absolutely no notion of organisation; the problem with the English administration is that they have nothing but organisation...

Upon this insightful aphorism, I bid you good day, I'll be staring at the empty bottom of my bank account...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    That'd take too long sadly (and I have collections at la Sorbonne right now so kinda ****** anyway) and the certified translation cannot be done by me. But managed to bribe a translator (won't say how much as it depresses me) and will get the documents tomorrow. By this point I just want the applications to get through to the admission committee, so I feel strangely relieved as well. Also less bitter about having been rejected last year - the same thing probably happened, without notice.

The problem with the French administration is that they have absolutely no notion of organisation; the problem with the English administration is that they have nothing but organisation...

Upon this insightful aphorism, I bid you good day, I'll be staring at the empty bottom of my bank account...
    Certifided translation cannot be done by you, but if you translate and than a certified translator verifies it and stamps it, than it becomes a valid cartified translation and costs less than full translation.
    Anyway, sounds like you won't be able to do that anyway. Glad to hear that it worked out! Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Geeze, they replied to my email yesterday: if don't submit the translated scripts by tomorrow, 5 pm (!) I'm f***... That's going to be one expensive translation...
    Your departmemt is not as nice as the Mathematical Institute: I've submitted half of my transcripts in French and they were quite happy with that..

But if they require you to do so, just have your transcripts officially translated as soon as possible. You really don't want to miss an opportunity to study at Oxford because of the (expensive) price of a translation + I think that it will be usefull if you wish to apply somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belema)
    But if they require you to do so, just have your transcripts officially translated as soon as possible. You really don't want to miss an opportunity to study at Oxford because of the (expensive) price of a translation + I think that it will be usefull if you wish to apply somewhere else.
    Yes, that's what I did - i'm expecting an email with attached translations any minute.

There's only one thing that worries me though: the translation agency refused to convert my French grades into UK grades for some obscure reason, and would not change its position even though I ranted for 5 min about how stupidly pointless that was. All they accepted to do was include a footnote saying what my final grades for BA and MA were equal to xx out of 100.

Now I fear that the grad office will return the transcripts and turn down my application without notice as they did last year (I just found out that my "unsuccessful" application for an MSt last year was never even processed...).

I don't know whether I should tell them that I was unable to have my modules grades translated or if I should shut up and hope that someone will want to be indulgent with me...

I'm just loving the administration right now.. :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's what I did - i'm expecting an email with attached translations any minute.

There's only one thing that worries me though: the translation agency refused to convert my French grades into UK grades for some obscure reason, and would not change its position even though I ranted for 5 min about how stupidly pointless that was. All they accepted to do was include a footnote saying what my final grades for BA and MA were equal to xx out of 100.

Now I fear that the grad office will return the transcripts and turn down my application without notice as they did last year (I just found out that my "unsuccessful" application for an MSt last year was never even processed...).

I don't know whether I should tell them that I was unable to have my modules grades translated or if I should shut up and hope that someone will want to be indulgent with me...

I go to the Sorbonne as well and sent a translated transcript with French marks on it. My applications were all 'complete' and are being processed (as far as I know). Don't worry. If your application from last year was not processed, then something else must have been wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshlyman)
    I go to the Sorbonne as well and sent a translated transcript with French marks on it. My applications were all 'complete' and are being processed (as far as I know). Don't worry. If your application from last year was not processed, then something else must have been wrong.
    What degree are you applying for? Are you French? In case you haven't read the beginning of the thread, I was told by the grad office that I needed to submit official translations after I submitted my application: therefore I assume that they checked it upon receiving my email, so clearly something was wrong...

How did you translate yours? I don't know which Sorbonne you go to but I was told to go to hell (but that wasn't exactly a surprise)

ReputationRep:

a translator is not in a possition to make any amendments to the document, and changing your French marks to their english equivalents would count as such. And when they are asking for a translated transcript, they mean a document in English and not with English marks on it.
    Anyway, Oxford deal with French applicants all the time and they will be aware of the marking system and have access to information about different marking systems. So don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kajama)
    a translator is not in a possition to make any amendments to the document, and changing your French marks to their english equivalents would count as such. And when they are asking for a translated transcript, they mean a document in English and not wit english marks on it.
    Anyway, Oxford deal with French applicants all the time and they will be aware of the marking system and have access to information about different marking systems. So don't worry!
    :zomg: Ooh... that explains a lot! Why the h*** didn't they tell me that? Thanks a lot!
    I hope they're not going to pay too much attention to individual modules...
    My BA was a 69,8 % so I guess that's a 2:1 right? Would you say lower or higher ( as you can see I have no clue )? The first year of my current MPhil was 80 % (First) but I have no idea if that's enough for an Oxford DPhil (they only mention MA requirements on the website)

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: Ooh... that explains a lot! Why the h*** didn't they tell me that? Thanks a lot!
    I hope they're not going to pay too much attention to individual modules...
    My BA was a 69,8 % so I guess that's a 2:1 right? Would you say lower or higher ( as you can see I have no clue )? The first year of my current MPhil was 80 % (First) but I have no idea if that's enough for an Oxford DPhil (they only mention MA requirements on the website)
    69,8% is a high 2.1, actually, it would round up to a 70 which is a first.

80% is a high first (at least in the humanities), so it would probably be enough marks-wise, but obviously the rest of the application counts as well. (Plus, it depends on how they translate the grades if they actually see it as an 80% or not)

ReputationRep:
    Of course... My "80 %" is in fact a 16,002 (very good) and my "69,8" a 13,96 (not that amazing). Do you think it is possible that they just multiply by 5 (as in 20 x 5)? That'd be gooood.

ReputationRep:
    What degree are you applying for? Are you French? In case you haven't read the beginning of the thread, I was told by the grad office that I needed to submit official translations after I submitted my application: therefore I assume that they checked it upon receiving my email, so clearly something was wrong...

How did you translate yours? I don't know which Sorbonne you go to but I was told to go to hell (but that wasn't exactly a surprise)
    I go to Paris I... but I don't think it makes any difference, I made nice with certain people in the administration and my life suddently became A LOT easier. I asked the lady from the international office to sign my own translation, which she did. No questions asked whatsoever.

And I scored a 14 on my BA as well, I hope this will be enough for Cambridge. Your MA is excellent -- we know the Sorbonne inflates grades like crazy at postgrad level to get their students supervised, but hopefully Oxford won't . I think (and hope) rankings will matter more than grades.

Oh, and FYI, my 14 was translated into a UK 65% by the international office.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, ssshhhh! Some people might still think that la Sorbonne is a respectable institution

I suspect that a 13,96 will not be rounded up to a 14 as for conversion... And if 14 = 65%... I'm kinda screwed, they only multiplied by 4, which would mean 55,4 and 64, which is rubbish by Oxford standards...!!! Ok that's it I'm freaking out...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, ssshhhh! Some people might still think that la Sorbonne is a respectable institution

I suspect that a 13,96 will not be rounded up to a 14 as for conversion... And if 14 = 65%... I'm kinda screwed, they only multiplied by 4, which would mean 55,4 and 64, which is rubbish by Oxford standards...!!! Ok that's it I'm freaking out...
    it's supposed to be the proposal and writing sample that carry most value in your application assesment, so don't worry too much about the grades at this stage. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, fingers crossed for you too if you're applying anywhere.

The translation agency I contacted is a bunch of rude incapable people... They still haven't sent me anything although the documents are ready, which I know because I called twice today... I only have three hours left...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.