Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm having trouble setting up my ps3 online. There are a few threads explaining it but I can't use them as I have a mac not a pc so the network options etc are different.

Does anyone know how to connect your ps3 to the internet through a macbook, either wirelessly or wired, whichever works.

I followed the uni information services faq and got a usb ethernet adapter and a crossover ethernet cable but haven't had any luck with what I have tried so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know the same.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bothered trying myself yet as I've only just bought an USB ethernet adaptor, but I'm not sure if the PS3 will work. When you open the necessary ports on the server it warns you that some of those required may not open properly as for whatever reason it gives.

2 of my flatmates have their 360s online so I'll probably have more luck getting my 360 online than my PS3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsphyxiateD)
    I haven't bothered trying myself yet as I've only just bought an USB ethernet adaptor, but I'm not sure if the PS3 will work. When you open the necessary ports on the server it warns you that some of those required may not open properly as for whatever reason it gives.

2 of my flatmates have their 360s online so I'll probably have more luck getting my 360 online than my PS3.
    how the hell did they get the xbox online, ive been trying since i got here and i never even manage to connect the xbox to the network, nevermind xbox live

ReputationRep:
    I've tried fruitlessly for hours to get my Xbox online. I've just given up now...

ReputationRep:
    All you need is a USB to ethernet adaptor and set up ICS...

ReputationRep:
    My technical knowledge is so bad, I don't even know what ICS is. >,>

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend.

Internet connection sharing.

ReputationRep:
    I had my 360 online last year, but as of the start of 2010 one of the key ports you need to open to get online has been closed, and as such, getting xbox live or ps3 online is pretty much impossible

ReputationRep:
    Slifer - none of the key ports have been closed. Port 80 isn't allowed to be opened (for obvious reasons) but you do not need it for Xbox Live.

For everyone else, I just made another post about getting Xbox Live/PS3 to work. I won't crosspost it here, but here's a link to it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=20

All the firewall holes you need are listed on the FAQ page I linked there too.

To Cory90, I find a guide for internet connection sharing on a mac here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8156.html

No idea how useful it is because I don't own a mac, but I hope it helps!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.