Turn on thread page Beta

••• Need Interview Help - Appearance ••• watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

Yesterday I recieved a long sought after letter, which I have been anxiously waiting for, informing me that I have an Interview on Tuesday.

This is for my desired college. And since I wasn't offered a place directly, an interview is the next best thing. It's quite a hard place to get into, and knowing the fact people from my school have already been offered direct places is really intimidating.

I do not want to **** this up. So I need your help please.

When I go in how much would they care about my appearence?

I would be going straight after the morning bit of school. (It's in the afternoon).

So need tips.

I will be In my school uniform.

A coat (more like jacket) will be over my attire.

I hate doing my top button but shall i do it up?

Is it expected to have your shirt tucked in? ( I will of course anyway)

Polished shoes?

Lynx? (Or any spray?)

And now my hair. It's scruffy. Not that long. But definitely not short. Scruffy like I said.
    Should I comb it all down? Or what?
    Or just leave it moderately tidy?

I there such a thing as going in as over smart?

Okay now please try to answer all my questions. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    In the only interview i've ever had not college but work related. Don't try to act about something your not, most people aren't good enough to pull it off, it will all come out in the interview. Dress appropiatly to the surroundings, if its a proper posh college, where a suit if possible. If they have a uniform, where your uniform as smartly as possible. Hair wise do the same, if you know of pupils in the school with longer hair then just keep moderatly tidy, sometimes school crack down on long hair pupils.

But the lesson i learned mostly importantly was to be expressive and vibrant, this is more important than an exterior qualities. Interviewers want the best students, not always the most attractive. Go in the interview room, be polite, firm hank shake. Be enthusiastic and forget your worries, you do not want look to rigid and scared. Relax and it will all come through.

ReputationRep:
    bumpage

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I would say is please not Lynx. It can be rather overpowering.

ReputationRep:
    Comb your hair, no lynx, tuck the shirt in and do your top button up.

Go in looking smart and presentable - like you're a student any college would want. Going in your school uniform I doubt you can really look 'too smart' but 'too smart' is always better than too messy anyway .

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am uncertain as to which Oxford College (2013) I should apply to. I would like to read Modern History.

I have 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and am predicted 3 Higher Level 7s at IB (HL subjects: English, History and Spanish, with 43/45 points altogether).

I very much enjoy Choir, Public Speaking and Debating, Modern Foreign Languages, Young Enterprise and Politics.

I am from a private school (I know some colleges are more left-wing than others).
    My interests are in Intellectual History, Eighteenth-Century England, and China.

Could anyone help?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously wash (dry clean if you can afford it) your uniform the day/night before. Polish your shoes...and yeah, tuck in your shirt and do your top button up. Make sure everything is all ironed.

I would wear unperfumed deodrant- will still give you protection from odour, but the perfumed deodrant you put on might be one the interviewer hates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizaDoolittle)
    Hi,

I am uncertain as to which Oxford College (2013) I should apply to. I would like to read Modern History.

I have 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and am predicted 3 Higher Level 7s at IB (HL subjects: English, History and Spanish, with 43/45 points altogether).

I very much enjoy Choir, Public Speaking and Debating, Modern Foreign Languages, Young Enterprise and Politics.

I am from a private school (I know some colleges are more left-wing than others).
    My interests are in Intellectual History, Eighteenth-Century England, and China.

Could anyone help?

Thank you!

Did you read this thread
    Did it seem to relate to your problem
    Are there not better places on the site where you could have asked this
    Look again at the forum list, choose the right forum, create a thread

I would suggest that

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14

might be a starting point

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.