Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have two questions, Firstly can anyone help me on how to pick out key quotes for Romeo and Juliet for the exam and roughly how many you would reccomend i learn?

Also i was looking to buy Sparknotes for Romeo and Juliet and for To Kill A Mocking Bird, however i can only really get something called York Notes for to kill a mockingbird. These are aimed primarily at english students sitting (GCSE or A level I'm not sure) and i was wondering if anyone knew if they would be still acceptable for Higher english (Scottish equivelant)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieStill)
    These are aimed primarily at english students sitting (GCSE or A level I'm not sure) and i was wondering if anyone knew if they would be still acceptable for Higher english (Scottish equivelant)
    Absolutely, don't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy the To Kill a Mockingbird ones unless they are York notes advanced, I'm pretty sure they don't do these for TKAMB because it's predominatly used as a GCSE text in England and they're really basic and obvious.
    In future, York Notes Advanced are really good for any other texts at A-level level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    for your romeo and juliet question...think about all the key themes in the play. make essay plans for those key themes, detailing what main points you'd want to make. then refer to your text and pick a couple of quotations that exemplify each point. try and present the big picture of the theme, but at the same time don't forget your close analysis of the quotation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    Don't buy the To Kill a Mockingbird ones unless they are York notes advanced, I'm pretty sure they don't do these for TKAMB because it's predominatly used as a GCSE text in England and they're really basic and obvious.
    In future, York Notes Advanced are really good for any other texts at A-level level.

So you think I should buy the advanced york notes as apposed to the basic ones? And these will still be suitable for Higher english?

ReputationRep:
    So you think I should buy the advanced york notes as apposed to the basic ones? And these will still be suitable for Higher english?
    Yeah, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure they don't do an advanced version for To Kill a Mockingbird because they do them in relation to the specifications and it's down as a GCSE not an A level/higher text.
    Maybe search on amazon and see what else is available in the way of literary criticism for TKAMB. Two people in my class are doing it for their A level coursework and they have struggled to find 'higher' level than GCSE information on it :o: Good luck!
    There might be one for Romeo and Juliet though and I've found them to be a good series..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    Yeah, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure they don't do an advanced version for To Kill a Mockingbird because they do them in relation to the specifications and it's down as a GCSE not an A level/higher text.
    Maybe search on amazon and see what else is available in the way of literary criticism for TKAMB. Two people in my class are doing it for their A level coursework and they have struggled to find 'higher' level than GCSE information on it :o: Good luck!
    There might be one for Romeo and Juliet though and I've found them to be a good series..
    Thankyou this really helped
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i genuinely did not find yorknotes remotely helpful in preparing for higher english. they're quite general, even at an advanced level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have two questions, Firstly can anyone help me on how to pick out key quotes for Romeo and Juliet for the exam and roughly how many you would reccomend i learn?

Also i was looking to buy Sparknotes for Romeo and Juliet and for To Kill A Mocking Bird, however i can only really get something called York Notes for to kill a mockingbird. These are aimed primarily at english students sitting (GCSE or A level I'm not sure) and i was wondering if anyone knew if they would be still acceptable for Higher english (Scottish equivelant)

Thanks
    Well, I had TKAMB york notes for last year and they did really help anyway. As far as I'm aware there are no york notes advanced for TKAMB but they are obviously better and more in-depth (perhaps too much in-depth for the exam, if that's possible? :p: ), but just the york notes ones are good as well; helped me get an A. And also, york notes are better than spark notes anyway, a mon avis.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.