Turn on thread page Beta

Just joined the gym. Now, what do I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know I probably sound stupid to all you hefty, athletic TSR-ians, but help would be much appreciated!

My stats: ~75kg, 6ft 1, basically have a thin frame, but am a bit skinny-fat.

Goals: Lose all the excess fat around the belly and over the pecs. Get big and toned quickly.

But I have no idea what to do. Went to the gym yesterday and thought I'd do 30 mins of cardio (20 mins on the treadmill and 10 mins on the rowing machines), rotated randomly around some of the weight machines and just did reps on them 'till I was exhausted which totalled about 30 mins (working the back, triceps, biceps, leg muscles...). Then I ran over to the free weights and like a complete amateur, I did a few bicep curls, did the dumbell fly's thingy where you just hold the dumbells and flap ha!

But I'm pretty lost as to what I actually need to do to acheive my goals. I've cut out most of the fatty, sugary foods from my diet now, drinking plenty of water and veg and meat, but should I be taking protein shakes now? Do I just get a tub of powder, mix it in with water and take that before exercise?

How often do I go to the gym? 4-5 times a week for like an hour n total okay? What do I do there? Cardio? Free weights? Weight machines? Squats and work on the bench press? How many reps?

Sorry, I'm a complete amateur and help would be soooo much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

:o:

ReputationRep:
    Do something in the gym

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Do something in the gym

/thread
    Help p-errr-lease!

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots. Make sure you get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. Do starting strength: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

When you've put on enough muscle, cut down on what you eat and lose the excess fat.

Don't do much cardio until you want to lose weight. You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're "skinny-fat" you're best off putting on muscle first, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly think about what you want from the gym,

Muscle(bulk)??
    Muscle(Toned)??
    Cardio training??(physique like a cyclist)
    or
    balanced with all three above ^^

Tell me and I will reply with more info

ReputationRep:
    Right, so you want to tone up your body and loss some of the excess fat.

My recommendation to you:

- Spend 20 minutes doing Cardio Training. (try using the Cross Trainer for 10 mins as it requires muscle use aswell, then either 10 mins of running or rowing). Variating this might make the workout less tedious.

- Weight Machines: I would recommend you find yourself a weight that you can do 8-12 reps of to start off with. Do this three times each workout on each machine. After about a month when you've progressed to higher weights, push yourself even further, doing 4-8 reps of higher weights.

- Free Weights: I would avoid these until you get to the stage above of pushing yourself with higher weights on the weight machines. Use the Dumbells on each workout, doing 10 reps, 2 minute rest, 10 reps..etc.

- Floor Exercises: These are not easy after lifting weights and using CV machines. I would recommend you doing 15 Press-ups, 25 Crunches followed by 30 second plank, then another 25 crunches followed by 30 second plank, finished with another 15 Press-ups. If you feel you can do more press-ups then definitely go for it.

- Dont forget to weigh yourself before and after every session. This way you can see how the training is having an affect on you (muscle growth will result in you becoming heavier)

- Dont forget to stretch before even starting your session - You will begin to feel after effects even with stretching, not stretching will just "paralyse" you even more :P

- Dont forget to take a water bottle in with you. You should drink around 3 litres of water throughout an hours workout. The more you drink, the more you sweat and the more energy you will have.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Eat lots. Make sure you get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. Do starting strength: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

When you've put on enough muscle, cut down on what you eat and lose the excess fat.

Don't do much cardio until you want to lose weight. You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're "skinny-fat" you're best off putting on muscle first, IMO.
    Thanks for this.

Would you say to get all of the protein into my diet, I should take protein shakes as I find it quite hard to get loads of protein through normal cooking etc alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kas0)

- Spend 20 minutes doing Cardio Training. (try using the Cross Trainer for 10 mins as it requires muscle use aswell, then either 10 mins of running or rowing). Variating this might make the workout less tedious.

- Weight Machines: I would recommend you find yourself a weight that you can do 8-12 reps of to start off with. Do this three times each workout on each machine. After about a month when you've progressed to higher weights, push yourself even further, doing 4-8 reps of higher weights.

- Free Weights: I would avoid these until you get to the stage above of pushing yourself with higher weights on the weight machines. Use the Dumbells on each workout, doing 10 reps, 2 minute rest, 10 reps..etc.

- Floor Exercises: These are not easy after lifting weights and using CV machines. I would recommend you doing 15 Press-ups, 25 Crunches followed by 30 second plank, then another 25 crunches followed by 30 second plank, finished with another 15 Press-ups. If you feel you can do more press-ups then definitely go for it.

- Dont forget to weigh yourself before and after every session. This way you can see how the training is having an affect on you (muscle growth will result in you becoming heavier)

- Dont forget to stretch before even starting your session - You will begin to feel after effects even with stretching, not stretching will just "paralyse" you even more :P

- Dont forget to take a water bottle in with you. You should drink around 3 litres of water throughout an hours workout. The more you drink, the more you sweat and the more energy you will have.

Hope this helps.
    Kas0, to tone up you can't be doing 20 minitues cardio, that will bearly touch the fluids in your skin, atleast 35-40 minitues on a rapid level(9/10) on treadmill is needed followed by 15 minitues on either cross trainer/rower. 10 minitues on treadmill is nothing for someone weighing in at just over 70kg, their are trainers at my gum who do 1 hour on a treadmill to keep fat levels at minimum.

I agree with you on the weight machines.

I agree with you about the free weights however, I'm sure the thread starter can search some basic bicep/tricep excersises e.g. curls, concentration curls, preacher curls, skull crushers etc on youtube. If you don't train the basic muscles for all excersises(Arms) before starting free weights, your lifting skills will be poor on chest,shoulder workouts. I suggest you stay away from chest until you build on your arms, I EMPHASIZE THIS -DON'T DO SQUATS OR DEADLIFT UNITL YOU'RE CONFIDENT WITH WHAT'S WHAT(ALWAYS HAVE A SPOTTER)

Floor excersises you've advised look fine for a average bodybulder who wants to maintain strengh in the core of his body but for a person looking to tone, sets of 30 are needed I'm sure the thread starter can do this with ease!!

Those last three points you've mentioned are essential, respect for giving him those points not many trainers follow these

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kas0)

Hope this helps.
    Ahhh, thanks a lot!

Though would you say doing cardio and the weights each session isn't such a great idea, as any muscle I put on might be 'burnt' off because of the cardio?

And with the weight machines, should I also work on the bench press + do squats to start off with?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Firstly think about what you want from the gym,

Muscle(bulk)??
    Muscle(Toned)??
    Cardio training??(physique like a cyclist)
    or
    balanced with all three above ^^

Tell me and I will reply with more info
    I'd say a mix of all really! Put on lots of muscle whilst being toned and fit in terms of cardio!

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    My routine: 30m cycling / aerobic - 40m weight training finished with 30m (preferably, unless your bored) of aerobic again. Also, freeweights are supposed to put on more muscle, but ive always used machines.. Best rotation for muscle is 3 sets of 12 reps. Good luck

Edit #2: Also, if your a skinny frame, youd have to work extremely hard to get 'big' as you put it, i mean.. itl take a good 2 weeks / month to start seeing any difference. If you wanna speed it up for sheer pulling power, 50 situps when you wake up / before going to bed is usefull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kas0)

No don't.

Keep the cardio until after the weights or ideally do it on a different day - it's safer and you will get more from your resistance training workout.

By all means warm up by doing some cardio for a couple of minutes but there is no need to spend 10+ mins doing it.

No don't.

Stretching before a workout fatigues your muscles and has little or no effect on injury prevention - post workout is a different matter entirely.

For a warmup stick to dynamic stretches/mobility exercises and some warmup sets.

Ignore all of this.

Why waste your time on less effective means (ie; resistance machines) when you can use the most effective means available (ie; free weights) and make far greater progress? It doesn't make sense.

Starting Strength and some beginner friendly HIIT would be significantly better.

Pretty damn pointless. You're going to struggle to see any difference from workout to workout which is demoralising and it can foster an unhealthy weight obsession.

Absolutely rediculuous unless he's training in a very hot environment (which I'd bet he isn't). For the vast majority of people that is just going to induce nausea and hamper performance.

ReputationRep:
    Starting Strength, Hiit, and a high protein diet

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, I found this site about dumbell exercises! Quite useful!

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    Thanks for this.

Would you say to get all of the protein into my diet, I should take protein shakes as I find it quite hard to get loads of protein through normal cooking etc alone!
    4 boiled eggs for breakfast and porridge with a bannana

(3 hour cap)

Protein shake

2/3 hour cap

Roasted nuts for a snack

1 hour cap

Light sandwich maybe with brown bread and cottage cheese

2/3 hour cap

Protein shake

2/3 hour cap

Tea(Chicken fillets/breast from Morrisons/Asda are good) add pepper and vegtables for taste

before bed

Protein shake

This is what I do, I wake up 6 in the morning go gym for half an hour cardio session, shower then start my diet rouitine throughout the day. I go gym again before the 2nd shake.

I weight in at 16 stone, low fat and pack a lot of muscle. I lift heavy,eat big and go for pure bulk/tone

If you want bulk, you need this diet.

Obv you can tweak this to your liking for cut the carbs and fats

ReputationRep:
    Don't take protein shakes unless you're gonna do quite a bit of cardio to keep off the fat. You don't really need to start taking them when you start anyway. Lower your body fat and get toned first, then think about putting on more muscle mass rather than trying to 'get big and toned fast' because for most of us, with muscle comes some fat too. Also I understand it's a good idea to do your cardio after weight training, but whatever suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Kas0, to tone up you can't be doing 20 minitues cardio, that will bearly touch the fluids in your skin, atleast 35-40 minitues on a rapid level(9/10) on treadmill is needed followed by 15 minitues on either cross trainer/rower. 10 minitues on treadmill is nothing for someone weighing in at just over 70kg, their are trainers at my gum who do 1 hour on a treadmill to keep fat levels at minimum.

I agree with you on the weight machines.

I agree with you about the free weights however, I'm sure the thread starter can search some basic bicep/tricep excersises e.g. curls, concentration curls, preacher curls, skull crushers etc on youtube. If you don't train the basic muscles for all excersises(Arms) before starting free weights, your lifting skills will be poor on chest,shoulder workouts. I suggest you stay away from chest until you build on your arms, I EMPHASIZE THIS -DON'T DO SQUATS OR DEADLIFT UNITL YOU'RE CONFIDENT WITH WHAT'S WHAT(ALWAYS HAVE A SPOTTER)

Floor excersises you've advised look fine for a average bodybulder who wants to maintain strengh in the core of his body but for a person looking to tone, sets of 30 are needed I'm sure the thread starter can do this with ease!!
    OP - ignore all of this.

Those last three points you've mentioned are essential, respect for giving him those points not many trainers follow these
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

The vast majority of people don't follow them because they're BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    I'd say a mix of all really! Put on lots of muscle whilst being toned and fit in terms of cardio!

Cheers!
    Look at my diet, and research excersises which you think will fit in well at gym and stay strict to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

Hey dude, I'm just about to join too, but rather than ask loads of questions straight away here that have been asked before - are there any websites and books you'd recommend? E.g. you've already said not the magazines...

Just so I have a basic idea of what weights to do (how to use them even!) and other exercises too.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Hey dude, I'm just about to join too, but rather than ask loads of questions straight away here that have been asked before - are there any websites and books you'd recommend? E.g. you've already said not the magazines...

Just so I have a basic idea of what weights to do (how to use them even!) and other exercises too.

Cheers
    If it's lifting weights you're interested in, you could do far worse than buying the book STARTING STRENGTH by Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore. It's the best book for beginners.

http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.ph...on=show_detail

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.