Protein shake

2/3 hour cap

Roasted nuts for a snack

1 hour cap

Light sandwich maybe with brown bread and cottage cheese

2/3 hour cap

Protein shake

2/3 hour cap

Tea(Chicken fillets/breast from Morrisons/Asda are good) add pepper and vegtables for taste

before bed

Protein shake
    3 shakes per day?? You're gonna do your liver some major damage in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Hey dude, I'm just about to join too, but rather than ask loads of questions straight away here that have been asked before - are there any websites and books you'd recommend? E.g. you've already said not the magazines...

Just so I have a basic idea of what weights to do (how to use them even!) and other exercises too.
    Good Beginner Texts:
    -Starting Strength by Rippetoe (Teaches you the basic barbell lifts, a bit about programming and diet)
    -Infinite Intensity by Enamait (advice on exercise form, how to design your own program, example 50 day program, how to make your own equipment, etc)
    -Westside for Skinny *******s

...Beyond:
    -Practical Programming by Rippetoe (basically what to do post Starting Strength)
    -EliteFTS Manual
    -5/3/1
    -Full Throttle Conditioning
    -Built Like a Badass

Good Websites:
    -RossTraining (esp. articles, blog and forum)
    -John Bernardi's Site
    -Lyle MacDonald's Site (good books on nutrition and good articles)
    -Elite FTS article section
    -T-Nation (have to be careful what you read and believe as it is owned by a supplement company)
    -Ironaddicts (pretty good forum)

(Original post by SSingh23)
    3 shakes per day?? You're gonna do your liver some major damage in the long run.
    Absolute BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Absolute BS.
    The recommended amount is 1-2g of powder for every pound of bodyweight per day. If he's doing that three times a day AND getting even more protein from foods, then it's not too good for him.

ReputationRep:
    so much bs info in this thread lol

ReputationRep:
    My troll senses are tingling

ReputationRep:
    Observe stacked people in the gym, and then copy them.

ReputationRep:
    The recommended amount is 1-2g of powder for every pound of bodyweight per day. If he's doing that three times a day AND getting even more protein from foods, then it's not too good for him.
    There is little or no evidence that a healthy person on a high protein diet, drinking plenty of fluids and eating properly, will have liver and/or kidney problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    No don't.
    Stretching before a workout fatigues your muscles and has little or no effect on injury prevention - post workout is a different matter entirely.

For a warmup stick to dynamic stretches/mobility exercises and some warmup sets.
    QFT

In fact stretching before you've even warmed up provides nothing but a very easy way of getting injured.

ReputationRep:
    OP, do all the things outlined in the link below, and ignore everyone else.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/workout...ginner-broken/

ReputationRep:
    Generaly if you want to looose weight but want nothing fancy and have to do it 24/7 the best thing to do is sort your diet out. Realistically cutting out processed food will help to no end as this will reduce the levels of fat sugar and salt in your diet and will get you nice and lean. as for your excercise its all well and good doing it in the gym 3 times a week but do stuff at home everynight. There is no excuse as all you need is your body. ask at your gym for excercieses such as side planks, super lunges burpees etc...
    these will help yu hugely and will make it alot quicker i assure you.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore that, you could take 10 protein shakes a day and be fine. There are diets where people live off protein shakes (not that I'd actually advocate this, it's an extreme way of dieting and not healthy, IMO)

(Original post by jackhannaford)
    My routine: 30m cycling / aerobic - 40m weight training finished with 30m (preferably, unless your bored) of aerobic again. Also, freeweights are supposed to put on more muscle, but ive always used machines.. Best rotation for muscle is 3 sets of 12 reps. Good luck

Edit #2: Also, if your a skinny frame, youd have to work extremely hard to get 'big' as you put it, i mean.. itl take a good 2 weeks / month to start seeing any difference. If you wanna speed it up for sheer pulling power, 50 situps when you wake up / before going to bed is usefull.
    Ignore most of that, other than "it'll take a good amount of time for you to see a difference", usually it'll take a good few weeks before you can notice changes in yourself. If you're doing it right your lifts will be going up, though.

(Original post by pinda.college)
    Kas0, to tone up you can't be doing 20 minitues cardio, that will bearly touch the fluids in your skin, atleast 35-40 minitues on a rapid level(9/10) on treadmill is needed followed by 15 minitues on either cross trainer/rower. 10 minitues on treadmill is nothing for someone weighing in at just over 70kg, their are trainers at my gum who do 1 hour on a treadmill to keep fat levels at minimum.

I agree with you on the weight machines.

I agree with you about the free weights however, I'm sure the thread starter can search some basic bicep/tricep excersises e.g. curls, concentration curls, preacher curls, skull crushers etc on youtube. If you don't train the basic muscles for all excersises(Arms) before starting free weights, your lifting skills will be poor on chest,shoulder workouts. I suggest you stay away from chest until you build on your arms, I EMPHASIZE THIS -DON'T DO SQUATS OR DEADLIFT UNITL YOU'RE CONFIDENT WITH WHAT'S WHAT(ALWAYS HAVE A SPOTTER)

Floor excersises you've advised look fine for a average bodybulder who wants to maintain strengh in the core of his body but for a person looking to tone, sets of 30 are needed I'm sure the thread starter can do this with ease!!

Those last three points you've mentioned are essential, respect for giving him those points not many trainers follow these

:ahee:
    Ignore everything this guy says ever, all a load of **** that has no scientific basis. The best form of cardio is interval training, which if you spend any longer than 20 minutes doing, you're doing it wrong. More info on that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

The squats/deadlift stuff is also BS, start with just the bar watching in the mirror to get the form right, slowly add weight as you feel more comfortable. The squat and deadlift are the two single best lifts you can do for overall muscle development.

(Original post by kas0)
    Right, so you want to tone up your body and loss some of the excess fat.

My recommendation to you:

- Spend 20 minutes doing Cardio Training. (try using the Cross Trainer for 10 mins as it requires muscle use aswell, then either 10 mins of running or rowing). Variating this might make the workout less tedious.

- Weight Machines: I would recommend you find yourself a weight that you can do 8-12 reps of to start off with. Do this three times each workout on each machine. After about a month when you've progressed to higher weights, push yourself even further, doing 4-8 reps of higher weights.

- Free Weights: I would avoid these until you get to the stage above of pushing yourself with higher weights on the weight machines. Use the Dumbells on each workout, doing 10 reps, 2 minute rest, 10 reps..etc.

- Floor Exercises: These are not easy after lifting weights and using CV machines. I would recommend you doing 15 Press-ups, 25 Crunches followed by 30 second plank, then another 25 crunches followed by 30 second plank, finished with another 15 Press-ups. If you feel you can do more press-ups then definitely go for it.

- Dont forget to weigh yourself before and after every session. This way you can see how the training is having an affect on you (muscle growth will result in you becoming heavier)

- Dont forget to stretch before even starting your session - You will begin to feel after effects even with stretching, not stretching will just "paralyse" you even more :P

- Dont forget to take a water bottle in with you. You should drink around 3 litres of water throughout an hours workout. The more you drink, the more you sweat and the more energy you will have.

Hope this helps.
    Ignore all that too. Don't stretch, do a warmup set on a lighter weight before each exercise if you're worried about pulling a muscle. Excessive stretching will result in you lifting less.

IN SUMMARY: Ignore most things said in this thread and buy starting strength.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of ******** that gets posted in the fitness section is unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Ignore that, you could take 10 protein shakes a day and be fine. There are diets where people live off protein shakes (not that I'd actually advocate this, it's an extreme way of dieting and not healthy, IMO)

Ignore most of that, other than "it'll take a good amount of time for you to see a difference", usually it'll take a good few weeks before you can notice changes in yourself. If you're doing it right your lifts will be going up, though.

Ignore everything this guy says ever, all a load of **** that has no scientific basis. The best form of cardio is interval training, which if you spend any longer than 20 minutes doing, you're doing it wrong. More info on that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

The squats/deadlift stuff is also BS, start with just the bar watching in the mirror to get the form right, slowly add weight as you feel more comfortable. The squat and deadlift are the two single best lifts you can do for overall muscle development.

Ignore all that too. Don't stretch, do a warmup set on a lighter weight before each exercise if you're worried about pulling a muscle. Excessive stretching will result in you lifting less.

IN SUMMARY: Ignore most things said in this thread and buy starting strength.
    If you're not a part of the solution then you're a part of the problem. Go cook the bacon,I'm sure your husbands brought some home.

Queer boy probably can't even squat to save his life

ReputationRep:
    If you lift heavy in the 2 main lifts (squats and deadlift) and heavy in all other areas,go gym 2 times a day it's fine.

It's helps repair muscles, I'm healthy and have been since I started drinking them at 14. When you train, your muscles rip and the protein acts like a plaster therefore healing it and putting layers on(muscle)

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a part of the solution then you're a part of the problem. Go cook the bacon,I'm sure your husbands brought some home.

What the **** is this? Shouldn't you be doing 1/8th squats on the smith machine alongside your 6 day body part split?

ReputationRep:

I'm working hard on my 10kg 1RM, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly think about what you want from the gym,

Muscle(bulk)??
    Muscle(Toned)??
    Cardio training??(physique like a cyclist)
    or
    balanced with all three above ^^

Tell me and I will reply with more info
    Dont reply, period.

You are a ******* idiot.

Dont ever offer advice here again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kas0)
    Right, so you want to tone up your body and loss some of the excess fat.

My recommendation to you:

- Spend 20 minutes doing Cardio Training. (try using the Cross Trainer for 10 mins as it requires muscle use aswell, then either 10 mins of running or rowing). Variating this might make the workout less tedious.

- Weight Machines: I would recommend you find yourself a weight that you can do 8-12 reps of to start off with. Do this three times each workout on each machine. After about a month when you've progressed to higher weights, push yourself even further, doing 4-8 reps of higher weights.

- Free Weights: I would avoid these until you get to the stage above of pushing yourself with higher weights on the weight machines. Use the Dumbells on each workout, doing 10 reps, 2 minute rest, 10 reps..etc.

- Floor Exercises: These are not easy after lifting weights and using CV machines. I would recommend you doing 15 Press-ups, 25 Crunches followed by 30 second plank, then another 25 crunches followed by 30 second plank, finished with another 15 Press-ups. If you feel you can do more press-ups then definitely go for it.

- Dont forget to weigh yourself before and after every session. This way you can see how the training is having an affect on you (muscle growth will result in you becoming heavier)

- Dont forget to stretch before even starting your session - You will begin to feel after effects even with stretching, not stretching will just "paralyse" you even more :P

- Dont forget to take a water bottle in with you. You should drink around 3 litres of water throughout an hours workout. The more you drink, the more you sweat and the more energy you will have.

Hope this helps.
    I dont think I have ever seen more concentrated idiocy in a single post before this written diarrhea.

Get the **** off this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Dont reply, period.

You are a ******* idiot.

Dont ever offer advice here again.
    I thought you'd be cool when I saw the united logo, then I read the message.

How dissapointing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    I'm working hard on my 10kg 1RM, thanks.
    :eek: Shocking

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.