Turn on thread page Beta

Just joined the gym. Now, what do I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    I know I probably sound stupid to all you hefty, athletic TSR-ians, but help would be much appreciated!

My stats: ~75kg, 6ft 1, basically have a thin frame, but am a bit skinny-fat.

Goals: Lose all the excess fat around the belly and over the pecs. Get big and toned quickly.

But I have no idea what to do. Went to the gym yesterday and thought I'd do 30 mins of cardio (20 mins on the treadmill and 10 mins on the rowing machines), rotated randomly around some of the weight machines and just did reps on them 'till I was exhausted which totalled about 30 mins (working the back, triceps, biceps, leg muscles...). Then I ran over to the free weights and like a complete amateur, I did a few bicep curls, did the dumbell fly's thingy where you just hold the dumbells and flap ha!

But I'm pretty lost as to what I actually need to do to acheive my goals. I've cut out most of the fatty, sugary foods from my diet now, drinking plenty of water and veg and meat, but should I be taking protein shakes now? Do I just get a tub of powder, mix it in with water and take that before exercise?

How often do I go to the gym? 4-5 times a week for like an hour n total okay? What do I do there? Cardio? Free weights? Weight machines? Squats and work on the bench press? How many reps?

Sorry, I'm a complete amateur and help would be soooo much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

:o:
    OP, you wanna make gains? Drop the advice from that idiot pinda.college and the other muppet, kas0. Its clown like that these skinny *******s are listening to and hence why those skinny *******s remain skinny *******s. In fact I think probably myself and ch0c0h01ic are probably the only ones on this thread you should even think of taking advice from. At least we have experience and knowledge. First off all find yourself a Starting Strength or WS4SB guide on the net, then secondly tell me about your diet.

ReputationRep:
    A comment to the thread poster, I respect you wanted a clear,efficent answer but I'm afraid you won't be getting any here.
    There's too many little boys who think they are beasts and want to defend their pride by implementing their own and replying to others saying it's wrong

Everyone has unique bodies,DNA.

Some routines and diets work good for some but **** for others.

Period, find what's best suited for you and stick to it.

That's the best advice probably on this thread and also ask other bodybuilders at the gym on something you need help on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    I thought you'd be cool when I saw the united logo, then I read the message.

How dissapointing
    You have all the textbook makings of a moron who has **** all knowledge in regards to fitness yet feels free to offer advice, god, you're a muppet. Have you conducted any research, I mean even a Wikipedia article, have you ever checked the validity of your statements? Ever?

ReputationRep:
    A comment to the thread poster, I respect you wanted a clear,efficent answer but I'm afraid you won't be getting any here.
    There's too many little boys who think they are beasts and want to defend their pride by implementing their own and replying to others saying it's wrong

That's the best advice probably on this thread and also ask other bodybuilders at the gym on something you need help on
    I am a bodybuilder you dumb ************, any builder with half the knowledge would no you re full of ****. Dont let the door hit you on the ******* way out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    OP, you wanna make gains? Drop the advice from that idiot pinda.college and the other muppet, kas0. Its clown like that these skinny *******s are listening to and hence why those skinny *******s remain skinny *******s. In fact I think probably myself and ch0c0h01ic are probably the only ones on this thread you should even think of taking advice from. At least we have experience and knowledge. First off all find yourself a Starting Strength or WS4SB guide on the net, then secondly tell me about your diet.
    Look up 'feltching' and that's what you're a victim of boy. Half the members on here probably lift twice what you weigh, stop criticizing others and give some useful tips and advice. I'm happy with what I nkow because in the end I know I can

deadlift-95kg-10 reps

Bench 100kg-10 reps

SQUAT-105KG-10 REPS
    125KG-1 REP

So the things I do are obviously working period!!

ReputationRep:
    I am a bodybuilder you dumb ************, any builder with half the knowledge would no you re full of ****. Dont let the door hit you on the ******* way out.
    Ha bodybuilder. More like a high school kid who has difficulty popping his pimples let alone squatting

P.s. What the f UK are you on about research and wikipedia it's **** like that which makes me consider if you even have a memership at the gym

DAMN

ReputationRep:
    Look up 'feltching' and that's what you're a victim of boy. Half the members on here probably lift twice what you weigh, stop criticizing others and give some useful tips and advice. I'm happy with what I nkow because in the end I know I can

deadlift-95kg-10 reps

Bench 100kg-10 reps

SQUAT-105KG-10 REPS
    125KG-1 REP

So the things I do are obviously working period!!
    Deadlift 220kg - 10 reps
    Squat 200kg - 10 reps
    Bench 160kg - 10 reps
    Squat - 245kg - 1 rep

You really want to play the stats game with me, you ******* melon. You hold you lifts with such pride, I know guys younger than you who can squat double what you're currently doing so please refrain from thinking that squatting those measly ******* weights makes you some kind of ******* guru. In fact your ****** advice correlates with your unimpressive lifts, GTFO.

Ha bodybuilder. More like a high school kid who has difficulty popping his pimples let alone squatting
    I'll let the others fill you in on the fallacy of that statement.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift 220kg - 10 reps
    Squat 200kg - 10 reps
    Bench 160kg - 10 reps
    Squat - 245kg - 1 rep

You really want to play the stats game with me, you ******* melon. You hold you lifts with such pride, I know guys younger than you who can squat double what you're currently doing so please refrain from thinking that squatting those measly ******* weights makes you some kind of ******* guru. In fact your ****** advice correlates with your unimpressive lifts, GTFO.

I'll let the others fill you in on the fallacy of that statement.
    Anyone can type figures.

End of conversation, no need to reply to this comment.

Calm down on the swearing, you don't know me and I don't know you.

Those words are pointless and rude, fair enough you're a bodybuilder(what you say) but surely you aren't rude

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can type figures.

End of conversation, no need to reply to this comment.

Calm down on the swearing, you don't know me and I don't know you.

Those words are pointless and rude, fair enough you're a bodybuilder(what you say) but surely you aren't rude
    I never thought I would bring myself so low but

That's me from 2008 about 18 months to be precise, 6ft4 and 295lbs at 19, you dont look this and you probably never will. So you can see why I get pissed when pencilneck's offer pseudoscience and then get rude when people try to put them in their place for their idiocy. You done no research and your lifts are poor, go figure, the internet would benefit yourself as well as the OP.

ReputationRep:

Some of those "boys" have given sound advice, unlike yourself:

- Dont forget to take a water bottle in with you. You should drink around 3 litres of water throughout an hours workout. The more you drink, the more you sweat and the more energy you will have.
    I mean seriously? You're telling me the more water you drink the more you will sweat, why would that happen? And this somehow gives you more energy?:confused:

ReputationRep:

That's me from 2008 about 18 months to be precise, 6ft4 and 295lbs at 19, you dont look this and you probably never will. So you can see why I get pissed when pencilneck's offer pseudoscience and then get rude when people try to put them in their place for their idiocy. You done no research and your lifts are poor, go figure, the internet would benefit yourself as well as the OP.
    Damn.

I wish I had your black genes, lol.

ReputationRep:

That's me from last year about 18 months to be precise, 6ft4 and 295lbs at 19, you dont look this and you probably never will. So you can see why I get pissed when pencilneck's offer pseudoscience and then get rude when people try to put them in their place for their idiocy. You done no research and your lifts are poor, research would benefit yourself as well as the OP.
    If that's you, and those lift are accurate. Then fair enough, the thread poster should listen to you and you know your stuff and doing something write but don't call me pencil neck.

I'm 16(account has wrong date) and proud of my physique and diet.Might not be up to your standereda but there's a four year difference.

Give me some credit.

ReputationRep:
    Squat and bench press and row and deadlift

ReputationRep:
    Bishamon - You're ******* huge dude! Damn, amazing physique.

ReputationRep:
    If that's you, and those lift are accurate. Then fair enough, the thread poster should listen to you and you know your stuff and doing something write but don't call me pencil neck.

I'm 16(account has wrong date) and proud of my physique and diet.Might not be up to your standereda but there's a four year difference.

Give me some credit.
    I apologise or wailing on you but seriously, you guys do the people who come looking for advice a great disservice when you offer such questionable advice, at least ensure your research is sound before offering it as advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    I know I probably sound stupid to all you hefty, athletic TSR-ians, but help would be much appreciated!

My stats: ~75kg, 6ft 1, basically have a thin frame, but am a bit skinny-fat.

Goals: Lose all the excess fat around the belly and over the pecs. Get big and toned quickly.

But I have no idea what to do. Went to the gym yesterday and thought I'd do 30 mins of cardio (20 mins on the treadmill and 10 mins on the rowing machines), rotated randomly around some of the weight machines and just did reps on them 'till I was exhausted which totalled about 30 mins (working the back, triceps, biceps, leg muscles...). Then I ran over to the free weights and like a complete amateur, I did a few bicep curls, did the dumbell fly's thingy where you just hold the dumbells and flap ha!

But I'm pretty lost as to what I actually need to do to acheive my goals. I've cut out most of the fatty, sugary foods from my diet now, drinking plenty of water and veg and meat, but should I be taking protein shakes now? Do I just get a tub of powder, mix it in with water and take that before exercise?

How often do I go to the gym? 4-5 times a week for like an hour n total okay? What do I do there? Cardio? Free weights? Weight machines? Squats and work on the bench press? How many reps?

Sorry, I'm a complete amateur and help would be soooo much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

:o:
    Don't listen to these ******* telling you to avoid free weights and use machines. If you want to see real gains, you need to do compound exercises. You want to be doing: squats, chest press, deadlifts, pullups, rows and dips. (highlighted the most important ones). Stay away from machines and make sure you don't train the same muscle group on two consecutive days.

ReputationRep:

straight out of gears of war. Nice man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    straight out of gears of war. Nice man.

you know

ReputationRep:

you know
    COLE TRAIN!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I apologise or wailing on you but seriously, you guys do the people who come looking for advice a great disservice when you offer such questionable advice, at least ensure your research is sound before offering it as advice.
    Point taken big man!!

What you doing for chest??? Like what excersises and sets/reps

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.