Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did you get over a broken heart? Watch

It's been a week now and I'm still pretty torn up.....how did people here manage it?

ReputationRep:
    Haha a week? it wont fix itself in that short amount of time. Wait a bit longer, find some distractions

ReputationRep:
    You have to keep yourself active and as happy as you can. The first few days you have to do literally nothing, and kind of just wallow in your own misery i guess but set a date with friends to do something fun.

Just start to do things that make you happy again :-)

ReputationRep:
    wait a good few months.

and try stay away from the other person, cut out as much contact with them as possible, it will make it alot easier

and get your friends to look after you, take you out etc

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_TtSpNHsU

This song helped me last time.

ReputationRep:
    Time. Sorry, that doesn't sound very helpful to be honest.

Just try and enjoy yourself: watch dvds, eat yummy junk food... basically focus on yourself and get support from your friends :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's been a week now and I'm still pretty torn up.....how did people here manage it?
    gaffer tape

i finally feel happier than ive ever been and its been 8 months, youve a bit fo a long wait, concentrate on yr future, spend time with people who actually care, friends family etv and just try and have a good time and realise why it happened, you'll be happier for it in the end, you'll look back on it and be happy it happened, it just takes time, and determination to get through it.

ReputationRep:
    weed

After 2 years of being together, he cut all contact, dissapeared, cheated with another girl for a month. I just thought that he didnt like me, but then i found out, and then after that month he decided to come back. I shouldve known he was a cheat from the start, bceasue he was the biggest flrit ever.... oh well i dont care anymore. couldnt be happier without him

ReputationRep:
    Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iime.

ReputationRep:
    My heartbreak lasted for 7 months.

Cut all contact. Remind yourself of the times they treated you badly, and how you didn't deserve that - try not to dwell on the good times, although I know this is easier said than done.

Concentrate on bettering yourself, spend a lot of time with friends and people who love you.

ReputationRep:
    getting over broken heart=chocolate+friends+keeping active and going out+removing anything which reminds you of him+ TIME unfortunately, it will take more than a week, but it does get easier from here, youre over the worst

I got rid of it altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Hard as it may be, it's going to take longer than a week. Take some time for yourself if you need it but try not to think about the person who broke your heart too much (easier said than done). Be with your friends, do things that make you happy and over time you will get over it. It just takes a bit of time. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A week isn't long enough to mend heartbreak... it'll take time and you have to be patient. Which sounds totally rubbish but it's the truth. Time really is the best healer.

In the meantime, remember they are your ex for a reason...

Meet up with friends when you feel ready, keep occupied and busy, try not to be on your own, listen to happy songs, take up a new hobby or spend lots of time on a current one, watch Disney films, eat junk food OR start excercising, get a hair cut, dress up, bake a cake, read trashy magazines, watch rubbish TV, oggle over fit celebrities and generally be awesome without him/her!

As cheesey as it sounds, learn from it and find yourself. I hope you feel better soon! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kätzchen)
    My heartbreak lasted for 7 months.

Cut all contact. Remind yourself of the times they treated you badly, and how you didn't deserve that - try not to dwell on the good times, although I know this is easier said than done.

Concentrate on bettering yourself, spend a lot of time with friends and people who love you.
    this is the problem i've had in the last couple of breakups. they never once treated me badly. so i've always felt incredibly mean cutting all contact when they end it with me. and so whenever i see them, can only think about the good times with them.

ReputationRep:
    Try using cellotape.

Noooo erm..have you ever solved a Rubik's cube, if not. Do it!!
    Takes your mind off things.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends is going through this now, and she's pretty torn up. (it's only been a week for her too)

Unfortunately the main thing that's going to help is time, but for now just lean on your friends and keep active avoiding things that remind you of them.

For a girl:
    Chocolate + friends + chic flicks + going out + singing along to some good old power ballads = helpful

ReputationRep:
    Buy a fast car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.