Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel like a total whinger posting all of this but I just need to get it off my chest.

Yesterday morning, I had 20 minutes in which to leave and catch my bus to college, I asked my dad for some spare change to make up the rest of my bus fare, and he shouted at me that he didn't have any, and that I apparently "dont bother going anyway". I do, I just sometimes wake up late. So I didn't have enough for the bus, I had to take the day off yesterday.

About an hour ago I popped downstairs during a break in my revision for a drink, and he asked me if I'd bring any plates down from my room and wash them, I said I'd do it later because I was in the middle of revising.
    "Bring the ****ing plates down, I hate your attitude! If you don't start doing as I tell you then you can pack a bag and **** off".

So this put me in a bad mood and I can't concentrate on my revision now.
    Also, I'm in a long distance relationship, and I'm struggling to cope with that aswell. I would never dump him, but the distance just gets to me sometimes.

And then there's just college in general, my parents never take any interest.

My home life in general is terrible, I don't feel valued, I feel like my parents just want me to leave...

I'm just really unhappy, I feel as if my dad is trying to push me to the point where I'll say something or do something, then he can use it as an excuse to kick me out.

Any words of advice?
    Jess xx

ReputationRep:
    aww, just try and stick it out? I would say talk to your parents, but if that'll only make the situation worse maybe not, if you have a nice aunt or friend you could maybe talk to them though.

Good on you for revising and stuff, you're doing it for you, not your Dad anyway. Hope things work out for you xx

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds dramatic but I'll say it again. When you have issues like this with parents, feeling they don't care (often seems to be teenage daughter and father) etc. Print this page off, basically let him read what you've just written. Sometimes people don't realise what their saying is hurting those they love(well should..), reading it in the flesh can really make them realise what their doing. You haven't said anything rude so it's not as if he can use something in this post to get back at you.

I admit it might not always work. You've just quoted him swearing and shouting at you...

1) People like that piss me off.

2) People like that can be pretty self centred, won't care about you. They should, but the world isn't a perfect place.

Sometimes parents can be a bit iffy with revision and college and such? What qualifications does he have? I've found parents who have lower qualifications then their children are sometimes non-supportive, even outright rude. It can be jealousy deep down. If he's complaining your missing college..not giving you some change to catch the bus there sure as hell isn't helping, and getting arsey when your revising isn't helping either.

I'm telling you let him know how he's making you feel, he'll probably throw the old "stop being hormonal". Real cop-out, it's kind of sad to be honest. Try not let him ignore you because your a teenage girl, like I said it's a pretty crappy way of ignoring that your own child wants to talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should just open up to them and make them aware of this issue? There could do something, maybe there's something they too would like to get off their chest. Sometimes everybody thinks they are in the right, maybe they need to be aware of what they're doing wrong and likewise with you.

They are your parents and you are their daughter so surely you'd both want to find a nice balanced solution to whatever the problem may be? Right now the problem may not be so apparent because neither of you have expressed it and it's all being thrown out in the form of short bursts of frustration. Talking really is the best thing to do.

Also, dump that douchebag of a boyfriend of yours who can't support you. Instead you and I can get on with the horizontal boogie, what say you? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    It's good you acknowledge your problem, which is waking up late, so work on that...

Maybe ask for change in advance next time and make sure you are organised so you don't only have 20 minutes to leave the house. :p:

That way, it could have stopped all the events which happened that day.

Good luck with revision.

ReputationRep:
    try and get more organised, children should listen to their parents, he only wants what is best for you, parenting isn't easy

if you don't have the bottle to talk to him, let your actions do the talking and behave like an adult...

if you know he'll shout at you for leaving plates in your room then why leave it there?? he pays the bills, he bought them plates... you've obviously given a very bias view of the situation and most people here will pander to it and say softly soft words to make you feel better

but you know you could buck up your ideas and grow up a bit don't you...don't you??

ReputationRep:
    Kind of went through a similar phase last year tbh. My parents made me so unbelievably angry every single night, so I hated being at home, and college was generally **** and depressing, so I really didn't have anywhere to be alone or happy.
    Though it was just a phase. It's a bad time of year for these types of situations, but everything boils over and gradually becomes fairly normal afterwards. You'll just have to put up with it for now, and wait it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >RazorImages<)
    I feel like a total whinger posting all of this but I just need to get it off my chest.

Yesterday morning, I had 20 minutes in which to leave and catch my bus to college, I asked my dad for some spare change to make up the rest of my bus fare, and he shouted at me that he didn't have any, and that I apparently "dont bother going anyway". I do, I just sometimes wake up late. So I didn't have enough for the bus, I had to take the day off yesterday.

About an hour ago I popped downstairs during a break in my revision for a drink, and he asked me if I'd bring any plates down from my room and wash them, I said I'd do it later because I was in the middle of revising.
    "Bring the ****ing plates down, I hate your attitude! If you don't start doing as I tell you then you can pack a bag and **** off".

So this put me in a bad mood and I can't concentrate on my revision now.
    Also, I'm in a long distance relationship, and I'm struggling to cope with that aswell. I would never dump him, but the distance just gets to me sometimes.

And then there's just college in general, my parents never take any interest.

My home life in general is terrible, I don't feel valued, I feel like my parents just want me to leave...

I'm just really unhappy, I feel as if my dad is trying to push me to the point where I'll say something or do something, then he can use it as an excuse to kick me out.

Any words of advice?
    Jess xx
    awwww, hun Im exactly same except I dont go to school and I still get shouted at- every day threated to leave and i know how you feel about devalued. It can really get to you - I think and I say this from experience you need to be doing something that makes you value yourself or respect you. It dawned on me the other day and this has helped- that my parents dont know everything- and they can be wrong- in the grand scheme nof life they may be an obstacle telling you - you cant mount to anything but what do they serriously know. This makes me see them as miniions and helps. Hahah,but each to their own....and I started to feel better. As for your ldr....maybe thats getting to you more than you realise, even though youve only given it one line.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.