Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering about the Medicine structure there? The fact that you stay at St Andrews for three years and have to move somewhere else for the last two at first thought is negative...having to leave friends etc...but it must be a good thing too, by getting to study at another University and move around.

What do other people think?

ReputationRep:
    I think this would be better placed in the Medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    I think this would be better placed in the Medicine forum.
    Yeah I wasn't sure exactly where to post it...how do I move the thread?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but in response to OP,
    - When you think that most degrees at St Andrews are 4 years when they would be taught in 3 years in England, I don't think it seems so bad for medics to 'only' spend 3 years here.
    - There aren't vast numbers of places that medics go after those 3 years, so they're likely to go to somewhere along with friends they've made. I'm not sure if it would be quite as extreme as having to completely restart socially. And I know quite a lot of people in general who have graduated from here and visit plenty afterwards, so you can still keep in touch with friends on other courses.

I don't know how helpful that was <crosses fingers>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Bridges)
    I'm wondering about the Medicine structure there? The fact that you stay at St Andrews for three years and have to move somewhere else for the last two at first thought is negative...having to leave friends etc...but it must be a good thing too, by getting to study at another University and move around.

What do other people think?
    for me getting the st andrews experience then going to manchester is a pro.. but for somebody else it could be a con.. although remember at any university for med you won't stay with your friends as you will all be posted to different district generals/teahing bases etc so it's not really a st andrews exclusive problem..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'm no expert, but in response to OP,
    - When you think that most degrees at St Andrews are 4 years when they would be taught in 3 years in England, I don't think it seems so bad for medics to 'only' spend 3 years here.
    - There aren't vast numbers of places that medics go after those 3 years, so they're likely to go to somewhere along with friends they've made. I'm not sure if it would be quite as extreme as having to completely restart socially. And I know quite a lot of people in general who have graduated from here and visit plenty afterwards, so you can still keep in touch with friends on other courses.

I don't know how helpful that was <crosses fingers>
    Thats a really good way of looking at it...the fact that mostcourses are 4 years anyway so three isnt that bad, and that your friends move too.

Thanks for posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Bridges)
    Thats a really good way of looking at it...the fact that mostcourses are 4 years anyway so three isnt that bad, and that your friends move too.

Thanks for posting
    remember you won't stay with all your friends wherever you go - medicine deosnt work like that.. you get shipped off to different hospitals etc.. infact that happens later in St Andrews since you do 3 pre-clinical years as opposed to 2..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    remember you won't stay with all your friends wherever you go - medicine deosnt work like that.. you get shipped off to different hospitals etc.. infact that happens later in St Andrews since you do 3 pre-clinical years as opposed to 2..
    Yeah, and the extra clinical years are of course an advantage

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.