x Turn on thread page Beta

Which city would be the capital city if London was not the capital watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which one

ReputationRep:
    Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester or Birmingham. More than likely Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Birmingham. Manchester would be possible I suppose, but less likely.

ReputationRep:
    CaRDIFF

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, but quite possible Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham probably.

ReputationRep:
    Windsor?

ReputationRep:
    Newry.

ReputationRep:
    Why Birmingham? Lets be honest, it is a dumping ground for ****, and only claim to fame is being in between Manchester and London

Manchester has to be it. It is only the other city apart from London to be considered a top European city and number 15 in a recent world city report for business, commerce etc...

I much more prefer Preston.

What about Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, as they are capital cities.

Brimingham is only second biggest because of population. It just the ***** otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    SLOUGH

The city of dreams.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell would it be Birmingham? Yeah it's the second biggest, but that doesn't mean it should be the capital! I'd say Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, for a minute there, I thought the title read: "White city would be the capital city if London was not the capital".

Even as a QPR fan, I have to admit, I thought that was a pretty bold statement!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean if the capital city was decided thousands of years ago? Or now? Because if it was decided back then, York would probably be next choice after London. But if decided now, I'd say Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    You're gonna spark the whole Brum-Manc arguement again.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham almost certainly because of its size and location but yes, Manchester,Liverpool or even somewhere like Sheffield or Bristol would perhaps be more suited.

ReputationRep:
    Ripon.

ReputationRep:
    Brighton would be a "nice" (flowery, quaint) choice.

Manchester or Liverpool maybe. Why are all these other big cities up north? Industry I suppose. But for some reason I can't think of any in the south.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester naturally

I suspect a troll here, pitting Brummies against Mancunians!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Why Birmingham? Lets be honest, it is a dumping ground for ****, and only claim to fame is being in between Manchester and London

Manchester has to be it. It is only the other city apart from London to be considered a top European city and number 15 in a recent world city report for business, commerce etc...

I much more prefer Preston.

What about Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, as they are capital cities.
    It's the second biggest and it's in a more central region, which would negate the age old Northern moaning of how London is in the South and the North gets ignored.

Theres always the possibility that the government could do what Canada, Brazil and Australia have done and give it to a smaller town to stop the others from squabbling. After all Colchester and Winchester have been capitals in various periods of our history.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.