Which city would be the capital city if London was not the capital watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Swanseh

ReputationRep:
    slough ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Why don't you come up to Preston and say that? I'd seriously like to know which hole you're from, or are you too ashamed of it to admit it?

What? Why would you think that I'm too ashamed to admit it? I'm from Birmingham.

Lovin' the fact that you called me a *******, so cooooool. Also, was that a succinct threat, if I go to Preston will you hunt me down and beat me up?

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle.
    Every company wants to have a piece of Newcastle for its offices. P&G, Santander, Tesco Bank, HMRC, DWP, British Airways, the AA, Siemens, the place where you get EHIC cards, Orange, NHS, Fujitsu, JobCentre, EDS/HP, Findus, IBM, National Grid, BAE, Northern Rock, Newcastle Building Soceity.

We're a public sector dream, so Parliament might as well come up as well. Benefit from some lower living costs and some nice transport links.

ReputationRep:
    We need a poll! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    Haha, thank you for being a team player and playing along

Any other TSR nerd would have negged me haha
    Haha! I know, it is the beauty of TSR! I have been negged once and got excited by the warning email! A rebel on TSR... Nutter!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    What? Why would you think that I'm too ashamed to admit it? I'm from Birmingham.
    Haha, where abouts? Dudloy? :rolleyes:

So you're one of those that go around with that pathetic accent? Apart from Selfridges, Birmingham is possibly the most ugly city known to human kind. What have you got, the Bullring? Don't make me laugh. What about Birmingham New Street station? Get off a train there and you immediately want to get back on to go back from where you came. And yes, I can say that because no Brummie will do anything because it's the truth.

Lovin' the fact that you called me a *******, so cooooool. Also, was that a succinct threat, if I go to Preston will you hunt me down and beat me up?
    What would you prefer? ******?

I didn't say I'd hunt you down. The fact that a Brummie could have the nerve to come to Preston with that accent and **** it off it laughable. People would just turn round, laugh hysterically before proceeding to kick your head in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tHEsTRANGEoNE)
    Pfft...thats a lancastrian talking :p:
    haha it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)

Birmingham is rubbish. All you got is a selfridges that losing money, and harvey nichols that is small. It is ironic, if you think about it, Birmingham does not really have much competition because of where it is based. That is your claim to fame. Birmingham is really on par with Bradford.
    Preston might not have a Selfridges or a Harvey Nichols, it has something called character. Something which Birmingham lacks.
    Birmingham is not as amazing as you make it out to be. It is quite poor in fact. Stop boasting.
    I don't think your understand the North-west quite well. If you did, you would know Manchester is truly the second city.
    Manchester does not only have competition with Liverpool, but also towns such as Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Stockport. Liverpool has competition with Chester, Southport etc... They are not poxy places as such. Both cities have to rival other cities nationally and internationally.
    Preston, certainly does give Manchester and Liverpool a running in some aspects. I think with the titehabarn project comming, it certainly will give it more competition.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it would go to a small relatively unheard of place, possibly even a completely new built.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maniacgeorge)
    Birmingham almost certainly because of its size and location but yes, Manchester,Liverpool or even somewhere like Sheffield or Bristol would perhaps be more suited.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I think Manchester seems more suited to the job personally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    SLOUGH

The city of dreams.
    Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
    There's nothing you can't do
    These streets will make you feel brand new
    The lights will inspire you :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham as it's the second biggest city after London

Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    Birmingham as it's the second biggest city after London
    See my post on the page before this.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't it already moved to Brussels? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Haha, where abouts? Dudloy? :rolleyes:

So you're one of those that go around with that pathetic accent? Apart from Selfridges, Birmingham is possibly the most ugly city known to human kind. What have you got, the Bullring? Don't make me laugh. What about Birmingham New Street station? Get off a train there and you immediately want to get back on to go back from where you came. And yes, I can say that because no Brummie will do anything because it's the truth.

What would you prefer? ******?

I didn't say I'd hunt you down. The fact that a Brummie could have the nerve to come to Preston with that accent and **** it off it laughable. People would just turn round, laugh hysterically before proceeding to kick your head in.
    Dudley isn't in Birmingham actually so you're wrong there. I'm from Moseley, a fairly cultural area of Birmingham and I don't have a 'Brummie' accent.

New Street Station is currently being developed (I think it's costing £600 million), we have St.Phillip's Cathedral, the Mailbox, Villa Park amongst many other buildings that are surpass pieces of architecture from Preston.

You clearly suffer from little man syndrome, I don't understand your point (the one in bold), I didn't say people from Birmingham would do anything threatening. I think you've shown just how nice a place Preston is by intimating that if someone from Birmingham went there, they would get their head kicked in.

Glad to see you've taken the moral high ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Birmingham is rubbish. All you got is a selfridges that losing money, and harvey nichols that is small. It is ironic, if you think about it, Birmingham does not really have much competition because of where it is based. That is your claim to fame. Birmingham is really on par with Bradford.
    Preston might not have a Selfridges or a Harvey Nichols, it has something called character. Something which Birmingham lacks.
    Birmingham is not as amazing as you make it out to be. It is quite poor in fact. Stop boasting.
    I don't think your understand the North-west quite well. If you did, you would know Manchester is truly the second city.
    Manchester does not only have competition with Liverpool, but also towns such as Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Stockport. Liverpool has competition with Chester, Southport etc... They are not poxy places as such. Both cities have to rival other cities nationally and internationally.
    Preston, certainly does give Manchester and Liverpool a running in some aspects. I think with the titehabarn project comming, it certainly will give it more competition.
    When did I make out that Birmingham is amazing? All I said was that it was better, and more suited for Capital status than Preston.

I find your argument that Manchester has to compete with Bolton, Wigan, Oldham and Stockport absolutely hilarious...hardly the hotspots of Britain.

Preston was only granted city status eight years ago, how can you possibly say it has more to offer than Birmingham! I think the fact that you mentioned Selfridges and Harvey Nichols as Birmingham's two big selling points shows that you've never been here, or if you have, you just walked round the Bull Ring and didn't go in to the suburbs of Birmingham, or walk around some of the fantastic architecture here.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.