Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which city would be the capital city if London was not the capital watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Haha, where abouts? Dudloy? :rolleyes:

So you're one of those that go around with that pathetic accent?
    Sorry, just to add in, how can an accent be pathetic? Why should somebody be vilified for their accent? It's not their fault they have it, it's passed down from nearly 13 centuries ago.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, like it was back in the Civil War for the Royalists.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester.
    Yeah it isnt as populated as Leeds or B'ham but it is like the heart of the North of England!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool or Manchester. Preferably Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    How is Wales the capital city's neighbouring province?

Wales is a seperate country, and there are other counties/provinces next to London. :tongue:
    read the small print...

or in other words, highlight exactly what he said

ReputationRep:
    St Helens.

Lets just **** this up and pick a town.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham based on population right?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of capital you want.
    A flashy purpose-built one, or one that happens to be an important city.
    If it's an important city, then I'd say Manchester or Birmingham, and I'm from the South-East.
    If it was just where parliament and the courts were with pretty buildings, just for show like Washington DC, then I'd say Bath or Norwich or Canterbury, somewhere like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    SLOUGH

The city of dreams.

*screams*

BRAP BRAP!

ReputationRep:
    It's clearly going to be Manchester. It's been mentioned over 9,000 times already.

Honestly though, I'd put it between Manchester and Edinburgh. Liverpool gets honorable mention for the independent art galleries. I think culture, business, commerce, international resources, multicultural affluence and historical magnificence all would contribute to such a decision.

Birmingham? Hahahaha, it's a ******* **** hole. There's nothing there worth mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    Muff should be the capital of the Uk!!
    It is a real place folks!!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham!! We're in the middle and have a castle on top of a cliff with all the caves underneath and a grand council house with a big clock

ReputationRep:
    Newport, Wales. Very classy.

ReputationRep:
    LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS Cos we are the best nah nah nahhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, maybe Leeds. But there isn't really a city that competes with London really.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. Lol at the suggestions of places that are barely cities.
    Bournemouth?! gtfo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    When did I make out that Birmingham is amazing? All I said was that it was better, and more suited for Capital status than Preston.

I find your argument that Manchester has to compete with Bolton, Wigan, Oldham and Stockport absolutely hilarious...hardly the hotspots of Britain.

Preston was only granted city status eight years ago, how can you possibly say it has more to offer than Birmingham! I think the fact that you mentioned Selfridges and Harvey Nichols as Birmingham's two big selling points shows that you've never been here, or if you have, you just walked round the Bull Ring and didn't go in to the suburbs of Birmingham, or walk around some of the fantastic architecture here.

You don't understand the North west. Manchester is like a mini-london.
    Bolton, Stockport or even Oldham they don't have the big designer shops like Armani, or Louis Vuitton, or 2 Selfridges, or even a Harvey Nichols or House of Fraser etc... But developements like the Rock in Bury, and st peter square in Stockport with the introduction of John Lewis, the recent development of Crompton Palace in Bolton do compete with Manchester.
    The same with Liverpool, Chester has designer shops as well... it does compete.
    Preston with titehabarn project.
    You will not understand.
    Liverpool and Manchester are literally max 30 minute away from each other, the towns in between them, also competes.
    Brimingham or the west midlands does not have that.
    Bham has selfridges, and harvey nichols, and.... Manchester has 2 selfridges and a harvey nichol, they are large stores.
    Manchester has huge private investment, from the Arabs and Chinesse, something Bham has not experienced. Liverpool and the Shangai expo has shown that it is attracting chinesse investment. More business, more opportunities. Manchester is the only other city in England to even have a stock exchange.
    Manchester and even Liverpool beat Bham.

Preston might not have the bigger stores etc.... but it does not mean it is ****.
    You take away selfridges, and harvey nichols, away from Bham, what exactly have you got that Bradford doesnot?

If you think about it, it is really a competition between, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, and Belfast.
    I reckon Edinburgh, only because it has the infrastructure, followed by Cardiff and Belfast. Manchester will become the capital of England

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as Winchester was the Capital before London, if it wasn't London, I assume it would be that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    Newport, Wales. Very classy.
    LOL. Lush.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.