Which city would be the capital city if London was not the capital watch

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Leicester

Naw, probably Brum.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you interpret the question:
    If London hadn't been established as the capital however many centuries ago, which city would have been the capital? In which case it could be anywhere - although almost certainly a coastal city, since the country built its fortune on the oceans.
    or
    If London ceased to exist today, which city would become the capital? I'd guess Birmingham or Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Bradford.
    definately!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham if it was decided today. Manchester would stand a good chance, but its too close to Liverpool. Nothing would be safe.

Historically Winchester was important, but York was for many many years the most important city in the north. The house of York were very powerful, being the King and all that, and exerted a lot of influence over the country. So I would say York.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool:yep: or Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Second city, Birmingham.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Manchester. Birmingham. Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Liverpool - city of culture... what better for a capital?
    Why do Liverpudlians seem to think this is something to boast about? friggin Cork was capital of culture a few years back and theres **** all in Cork!

ReputationRep:
    BRADFORD!!!!!

failing that Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Why do Liverpudlians seem to think this is something to boast about? friggin Cork was capital of culture a few years back and theres **** all in Cork!
    3 things:

1) I'm not from Liverpool

2) The post was supposed to be sarcastic

3) Your Gaza rocket stats - know which article in the Economist it came from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Why Birmingham? Lets be honest, it is a dumping ground for ****, and only claim to fame is being in between Manchester and London

Manchester has to be it. It is only the other city apart from London to be considered a top European city and number 15 in a recent world city report for business, commerce etc...

I much more prefer Preston.

What about Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, as they are capital cities.

Brimingham is only second biggest because of population. It just the ***** otherwise.
    Sorry but you're from Preston, I don't think you're in a position to **** off any city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodeny)
    As stated in section 69 of the "parliamentary establishment act 1876"

"In the case of great destruction, conflict or epidemic the capital city of England's neigbourghing provice will legally become the sole capital of the United Kingdom and all other provinces"

Hence Cardiff would take over

Anyone stupid enough to believe this really is a donk
    How is Wales the capital city's neighbouring province?

Wales is a seperate country, and there are other counties/provinces next to London. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Sorry but you're from Preston, I don't think you're in a position to **** off any city.
    Yes. I am in position to **** off other cities, after all, because I am independant. Birmingham is *****.
    Manchester and Liverpool beats it hands down. Why even, Preston and even Blackpool beats it.

ReputationRep:
    If it was being decided now it would most likely be Birmingham over Manchester as its a bigger city.

Plus it is more closer the SOuth - and lets be honest, the South is more important than the North.

Birmingham also seems to be a lot more central to all of England so would in theory be an ideal location for london to have been

ReputationRep:
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Manchester!!!

ReputationRep:
    It'd be the next largest financial city after London.

Leeds, also the fastest growing, and the third largest after Birmingham and London.

Don't forget The Metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester is in fact two cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    Depends when this was decided - 2000 years ago, Colchester, 1000 years ago, York, 200 years ago, probably Bristol.
    600 years ago, Liverpool!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.