The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Winchester used to be the capital city... it's a bit small to be the current one though ;p:
HpFreak_Amy7192
Sorry OP, I'm on Birmingham, and it's not just because I live there.

Reasons why:
Cadbury
Bullring
Lots of fairly good football teams nearby (Wolves/Villa/West Brom/Brum, I know you're going to bring up the fact that both Manchester teams are in the Premier League, but still, we have 4 teams to choose from :smile: )
Land Rover
Birmingham Walk of Fame
Tolkein
Ozzy Osbourne
The twins from Harry Potter were born nearby
Near to where Lenny Henry and Sam Allardyce were born (Dudley)
Central location - no North/South divide there.

And contrary to your opinion, there isn't lots of kids being popped out all the time, and multiculturalism is a good thing.

I like Manchester as a city, but what does it really have to offer? Aside from two pretty good football teams that is.

Also, the confusion might be because the Americans have a city called Birmingham in Alabama, don't think they have a Manchester anywhere, as far as I know.

There are towns, or areas of towns called Manchester in Alabama, Indiana, California, Iowa, Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Connecticut; not that it boosts the UK city's claim of being second city.
Reply 142
4G_dollars
They are rolling kids out ten to the dozen in Brum.

If they did that wouldn't they end up with 1/6th less kids then they claimed?
Reply 143
CrookedLegs
Okay I'm bored now. All I'll say is you are an idiot, Birmingham has one of the best economies in the world and is the 2nd city in one of the best known countries in the world...of course people have heard of it.

The national media and international media and this government and every single business organisation think different. Manchester is truly the second city.
Birmingham has one the best economies in the world, so does Baghdad.
4G_dollars
Really, now looks, B'ham is *****, I don't want to take any more garbage from the dumbos in the middle of no where.

I live in London, you know, in the middle of nowhere indeed.:rolleyes:
Manchester probably:yep:
I don't know why everyone is suggesting it'd be one of those crappy northern cities. It'd probably be Windsor or somewhere. Somewhere historic not a chav watering-hole.
Reply 147
domino0806

I don't think you understood what he said.
Blackpool!!! :biggrin:

Nah only joking, I think Oxford/Cardiff/Windsor/Liverpool would all be good.

Also, i'm a nice and friendly and i'm from the south. Not everyone is stuck up ya know :wink:
Reply 149
domino0806

Don't think you understood what I said.
It should never be Manchester, Morrissey's origins there strip it of any integrity and class.
4G_dollars
Why Birmingham? Lets be honest, it is a dumping ground for ****, and only claim to fame is being in between Manchester and London

Manchester has to be it. It is only the other city apart from London to be considered a top European city and number 15 in a recent world city report for business, commerce etc...

I much more prefer Preston.

What about Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, as they are capital cities.

Brimingham is only second biggest because of population. It just the ***** otherwise.

Well, you're asking a question which is more akin to the second city question. If London was not the capital then I'd imagine a more historical settlement like Windsor, York, Hastings, Tintagel, Oxford and Canterbury to be contenders. Perhaps Glasgow, as the second city during the British Empire, would have been it too. You need to think who decided London to be the capital in the history books and see had they not decided it was London, then who else? It might have been the Romans but I'm not totally sure personally.

Funny how people bang on about Birmingham and Manchester when Leeds is bigger. Newcastle is in the centre of the United Kingdom though. I don't think population should matter when considering capital cities, since the City of Manchester is actually quite small.
Reply 152
Definately not Manchester. I would say either York, Oxford or Edinburgh.
4G_dollars
Which one

Manchester, or maybe Birmingham due to size.
Reply 154
Bristol, we don't want those Northerners to have a piece of the capital pie :wink:
oxford would like another stint as capital
4G_dollars
Don't think you understood what I said.
Evidently. I don't comprehend northern people.
Without London we ought to revert to Colchester. Wooooooooo.
Reply 158
RyanT
But there's always the option of annexing Wales - finally, after 700 years - and making it Cardiff.

Wales is still part of the UK, so there's no reason Cardiff couldn't be the capital of the UK. And anyway, Wales was effectively annexed to England for several hundred years. It's only relatively recently it has been officially a separate entity in most contexts.
Reply 159
domino0806
Evidently. I don't comprehend.

Fixed **

Latest

Trending

Trending