Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, predicted aaaa, now for A2 should i drop one or not? Want to apply to LSE/UCL/Warwick for Economics/Maths and Economics.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd keep doing all of them (and indeed did, except I did physics instead of history).

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether you think you can cope

ReputationRep:
    i do those 4 (see sig.)
    it should be ok,
    if you want to ask anything about them i should be able to give an answer

ReputationRep:
    How much more work is there compared to AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbk123)
    Im currently in year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, predicted aaaa, now for A2 should i drop one or not? Want to apply to LSE/UCL/Warwick for Economics/Maths and Economics.
    Thanks
    Nope. GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    If you're coping fine at the moment, you shouldn't have any problems (just keep on putting in the work!). Loads of people at my school do four A Levels (myself included), and are allowed to do five if they're taking Maths and FM because they're so closely linked.

EDIT: If you do four it's also possible to have a fall-back option if one goes wrong, seeing as universities will generally only specify 3 grades in their offers. Not that I'd advocate this as the main reason for keeping all your subjects, but it's quite comforting :p:

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's 7A*'s 4A's n a B, n FSMQ-Additional Maths-B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbk123)
    GCSE's 7A*'s 4A's n a B, n FSMQ-Additional Maths-B
    And how are things going at the moment? Slightly surprised you're taking FM with a B in Add. Maths... I'm not saying you're not capable of doing well, just that everyone I know doing FM got an A/A*. But like I said, if you think you can cope there shouldn't be a problem

ReputationRep:
    What board did u do add maths with? i did it with OCR and it was not possible to get an A*, also everything for now seems ok.

ReputationRep:
    Keep all of them.

Or drop history and take physics.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a bit early to worry about this? Wait till results in august and decide then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    And how are things going at the moment? Slightly surprised you're taking FM with a B in Add. Maths... I'm not saying you're not capable of doing well, just that everyone I know doing FM got an A/A*. But like I said, if you think you can cope there shouldn't be a problem
    You don't have to be that good to do further maths. It's pretty simple compared to A level Maths and with some work and a little mathematical ability, an A is quite easy to get.

[And no I'm not speaking from where the sun doesn't shine, I've seen textbooks for both AS and A Level].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    You don't have to be that good to do further maths. It's pretty simple compared to A level Maths and with some work and a little mathematical ability, an A is quite easy to get.

[And no I'm not speaking from where the sun doesn't shine, I've seen textbooks for both AS and A Level].
    That may be the case. At my school those who do Further Maths do it in one year, having done the whole Maths A Level the year before, so that's probably where I get my impression of it being particularly difficult. However, i did notice in your sig that you did D1 and D2... they're hardly as challenging as other modules. I too am speaking from experience: I've done M1 and S1, while several friends did D1 and D2.

ReputationRep:
    That may be the case. At my school those who do Further Maths do it in one year, having done the whole Maths A Level the year before, so that's probably where I get my impression of it being particularly difficult. However, i did notice in your sig that you did D1 and D2... they're hardly as challenging as other modules. I too am speaking from experience: I've done M1 and S1, while several friends did D1 and D2.
    I've done S1 - easy tbh.
    I've done half of M1 - does it plan to get challenging anytime soon?

And I didn't choose to do D1 and D2. It's my school's choice and I would've preferred something less boring - hence why I'm self teaching to avoid the boring maths lessons associated with these modules. And there are plenty who successfully manage to do A level maths in 1 year - it's not something THAT amazing. Overall, I feel that with some effort, students who achieved between A* and B in GCSE Maths shouldn't find Further Maths so challenging that its relative difficulty seems to border impossible - which both me and you know, is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    I've done S1 - easy tbh.
    I've done half of M1 - does it plan to get challenging anytime soon?

And I didn't choose to do D1 and D2. It's my school's choice and I would've preferred something less boring - hence why I'm self teaching to avoid the boring maths lessons associated with these modules. And there are plenty who successfully manage to do A level maths in 1 year - it's not something THAT amazing. Overall, I feel that with some effort, students who achieved between A* and B in GCSE Maths shouldn't find Further Maths so challenging that its relative difficulty seems to border impossible - which both me and you know, is not the case.
    I agree, S1 and M1 are by no means difficult. It's just that my friends chose to do Decision Maths "because it's easy." Actually, my teacher refuses to teach it :rolleyes: Anyway, you're probably right. I wish I'd done FM as well as regular Maths, not really sure why I didn't...

ReputationRep:
    I agree, S1 and M1 are by no means difficult. It's just that my friends chose to do Decision Maths "because it's easy." Actually, my teacher refuses to teach it :rolleyes: Anyway, you're probably right. I wish I'd done FM as well as regular Maths, not really sure why I didn't...
    C4 is probably the hardest module.

I will do:

S1-3,M1-2,C1-C4,FP1,FP2 and D1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    C4 is probably the hardest module.

I will do:

S1-3,M1-2,C1-C4,FP1,FP2 and D1
    Harder than FP1/FP2 you mean? My best friend does FM and she'd probably go along with that. I've only done the first few chapters of C4 so far, but I've found it easier than C3... I've heard the integration stuff is a pretty big step up though, so I'm waiting for it to go horribly wrong :p:

ReputationRep:
    I took all four on, though only History is the same as you. It's quite hard, especially now, but I wouldn't say I'm struggling and I might end up with my targets (ABBB). It all depends how hard you think you'll work/how easy you find the subjects now.

EDIT: If you do four it's also possible to have a fall-back option if one goes wrong, seeing as universities will generally only specify 3 grades in their offers. Not that I'd advocate this as the main reason for keeping all your subjects, but it's quite comforting
    Yes. XD That's the only thing keeping me sane.

I found that there's a similar amount of work to AS in the first term and then in January they hit you over the head with it and you're like "MIIIIIIISS, I HAVE FOUR LESS HOURS FREE THAN ALMOST EVERYONE IN THIS CLAAAAAASS!"/whine

Isn't it a bit early to worry about this? Wait till results in august and decide then!
    Name is apt. XDDD But they do have a point - you haven't even got Jan results yet, there's no -real- way of telling whether you can get those 4 A's. By all means make a preliminary decisions now, but be prepared to have a surprise B change your mind!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to intrude on the thread, but does anybody have any advice on how beneficial just AS Further Maths with history, maths and economics A Level) would be for an Economics application to a top university?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.