Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you find new music? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty fed up with the music that's out lately. I've had enough of Chip-diddy-chipmunk and Florence with her Machine. I feel like I'm trapped inside a bubble where everything boils down to the same old artists over and over and over and over, on repeat, from sun up to sun down.

Two years ago I used to discover a new band or artist nearly every week or so. I started out exploring Post-Rock, then branched into indie pop; I had a phase of going through J-Pop, K-Pop and C-Pop. Lately though, it seems like the well has run dry, and I have no idea what to do to quench my insatiable thirst for new music.

So, I'd like to know:

Where do you guys and gals discover new music?

I use Last.fm, but, since my music is practically on repeat every week, I end up not getting many recommendations. Lately, they're all Catalan bands because I've been listening to Manel, Jofre Bardagi and Josep Thio a lot. It's just not filling me out.
    I'm sort of 'against' the NME and Pitchfork; but at the same time I'm not down with the music blogs like Gorilla vs Bear to get anything useful out of these publications - in other words, I don't know enough to get anything from them.
    I listen to the radio, but Radio 1 seems to just have the same bands on in the day, and I'm always doing something else when Huw Stephens or Radcliffe and Maconie are on, so I miss out there.

So that's why I've come to you, to get inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I go to grooveshark

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm (though I tend to look under tags rather than the recommendations, since they get kinda stuck in a rut), Youtube channels, Hype Machine, and general recommendations from anyone who has remotely similar taste to me. I find a few bits on here and other forums too, from threads like the various genre societies there seems to be going on.

ReputationRep:
    Try hype machine, you can see the most popular songs/artists people are talking (blogging) about, and keep up with artists you currently like by creating an account and putting them on a "watchlist".

ReputationRep:
    Spotify and Last.fm are good ones, with last.fm try friending people with similar taste to you so you can listen to their libraries and radio stations, always a good way to discover new stuff, I also read a few music websites (drowned in sound is a pretty good one), and I frequent the general music section of a big Radiohead forum (atease.com), which is actually a bit more diverse than you'd think and discusses all kinds of weird and wonderful music.

ReputationRep:
    I've found a surprising amount of good music through Amazon list-mania. If an album that you dont know comes up in 10 lists full of other album which you own and love chances are you'll like it too.

Also music blogs - find someone who has a similar taste as you and follow their recommendations

And interviews with your favourite artists in magazines/on t'interweb- they usually ask them 'what are your influences?' or something similar. I've found some very good obscure stuff that way in the past.

ReputationRep:
    when i watch a film i go to the end of the credits and check out the song list (providing i actually liked the songs in the film) but i find loads of different bands this way.

ReputationRep:
    I used to go through NME and search the bands that sounded interesting, but I got too lazy. I now listen to BBC 6music because they tend to play non-mainstream stuff so I can stumble across music I haven't heard before.

ReputationRep:
    Just found plenty new music.. its about opening up your mind really, get outside your so-called preferred genre, if you truly love music, genre can never be a barrier

ReputationRep:
    http://sonicrouter.blogspot.com/

... if you're into dubstep. Amazing mixes posted every other day.

ReputationRep:
    i literally only do it through word of mouth with friends.

ReputationRep:
    Well I like to read Pitchfork and Drowned In Sound occasionally, see what's new. Generally I can also just go on Warp's website and look at their artists, anything I haven't listened to I will probably try and discover. Also if names are just dropped into places, I heard a lot about Grizzly Bear through them just being mentioned a lot, now I'm hearing Flying Lotus being mentioned a fair bit and will probably check out his music very soon.

ReputationRep:
    The best music I've ever found was from movies. Most movie soundtracks are fantastic for finding new bands/artists and even the ones that are well established in america but not so much in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I like using Beatport a lot. I also seem to manage to listen to about 5 new artists a day just clicking links through Spotify. Failing that youtube recommendations down the side of music I like sometimes bring up a good tune.

ReputationRep:
    Spotify "similar artists" works for me. You get your favourite artist and just follow the trail.. Most of the stuff I find is pretty bland, but you can stumble across some gems if you persevere =)

ReputationRep:
    Download Spotify, get your friends to download spotify and then open up a playlist to share with them, where anybody can add stuff to it. You would be surprised by how much odd, fantastic and different music your friends will have! if they have an external hard drive borrow it and pick and choose some of the stuff you have never heard of. It's how I get my music all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i literally only do it through word of mouth with friends.
    this + I frequent the Other Bands section on the Muse forum I'm on, since logically there should be a fair amount of Music there that I like

My most recent discoveries:

- Anberlin (seriously, got to give these a listen - they don't just stick to one sound, and their music is v. refreshing)
    - Glint (space rock type band)
    - 65daysofstatic
    - 30 Seconds to Mars (I'd listened to their older stuff, not their new album - which is Brilliant)

ReputationRep:
    Um.... what the hell is C-Pop, J-Pop and K-Pop?!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who likes IDM and such might like http://www.rephlex.com/releases too, since you can listen to all the releases listed on the site.

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm,

Kerrang!/Skuzz when I'm at home and they have sky. :sigh:

Or the itunes store recommendation.

Sometimes I even google something like "similar bands to Children of Bodom" and it should bring up fan-compiled lists.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.