Turn on thread page Beta

How do you find new music? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I like using Beatport a lot. I also seem to manage to listen to about 5 new artists a day just clicking links through Spotify. Failing that youtube recommendations down the side of music I like sometimes bring up a good tune.
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    I use similar artists on Spotify. also look out for compilations like others have said. Youtube and good old Myspace too.

few bands you might like

All The Kings Men (Libertines meets Clash, but Manc)
    The Midway State (check out Fireflies, beautiful)
    The Stills (Canadian Indie)
    Infadels (Just funky)
    Analog Bombs (Guitar & Ska)
    Walk Dont Walk (Guitar & Ska)

ReputationRep:
    Rock Sound magazine by a mile is my biggest source for music. Free CD and so many great new bands covered and reviewed. Not just metal either, they cover pretty much anything with a guitar that's alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm sometimes if I hear a song I like on TV, I'll write the lyrics down somewhere and then google them when I get the chance. Reading (festival) introduced me to quite a lot of new music too.

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm and Pitchfork

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm and Spotify tend to be the norms.

ReputationRep:
    try using jango.com. listen to artists/genres you like, and it'll come up with related stuff. or, if you know a member of a band you like was in another band, why not listen to them and you may like it?

that's how I got into Hole, Frankenstein Drag Queens, Swordmaster, Dissection, Duff McKagan's Loaded and Stone Sour

ReputationRep:
    Movie Soundtracks!

Look up the soundtracks of your fave movies...then when you listen to it and hear a track that you really like see who it's by and look up them up and see what the rest of their music is like

I have found a lot of new music that way.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best place to find new music is on forums dedicated to the genre of music you like, i.e. the Popjustice forum is really good for people who like pop music.

Other than that, I just use Last.fm. Or as someone else said, Amazon lists can be useful too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I'm pretty fed up with the music that's out lately. I've had enough of Chip-diddy-chipmunk and Florence with her Machine. I feel like I'm trapped inside a bubble where everything boils down to the same old artists over and over and over and over, on repeat, from sun up to sun down.

Two years ago I used to discover a new band or artist nearly every week or so. I started out exploring Post-Rock, then branched into indie pop; I had a phase of going through J-Pop, K-Pop and C-Pop. Lately though, it seems like the well has run dry, and I have no idea what to do to quench my insatiable thirst for new music.

So, I'd like to know:

Where do you guys and gals discover new music?

I use Last.fm, but, since my music is practically on repeat every week, I end up not getting many recommendations. Lately, they're all Catalan bands because I've been listening to Manel, Jofre Bardagi and Josep Thio a lot. It's just not filling me out.
    I'm sort of 'against' the NME and Pitchfork; but at the same time I'm not down with the music blogs like Gorilla vs Bear to get anything useful out of these publications - in other words, I don't know enough to get anything from them.
    I listen to the radio, but Radio 1 seems to just have the same bands on in the day, and I'm always doing something else when Huw Stephens or Radcliffe and Maconie are on, so I miss out there.

So that's why I've come to you, to get inspiration.
    Try replying in the rate the song above thread, and check out what I'm listening to now. Youtube random songs from the second thread and watch and rate the songs from the first thread

I also use lastfm but you've already got that sorted. Have you got spotify?

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm and tv soundtracks - american shows often have albums which have got some really decent songs/bands on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Yeah it has, that's why I prefer Scuzz now. Kerrang seems to be having more and more pop-rock :erm:
    ha, also the Kerrang charts are just nonsense, we toured with elliot minor for a bit and when they released one of their singles, they just had to send a text to a guy working at Kerrang asking if they could be number 1 and he was just like yeh, so thats sorta annoying..and yeh point proven pop-rock :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Try replying in the rate the song above thread, and check out what I'm listening to now. Youtube random songs from the second thread and watch and rate the songs from the first thread

I also use lastfm but you've already got that sorted. Have you got spotify?
    Got it, yes; does it work? No. It's the fault of my OS running Ubuntu which means I have to emulate Windows with WINE, which has some issues with Spotify and sound - so, I can listen to about three songs (of skipping CD quality) and then it cuts out. I'm hoping people will have the sense to make a Linux-ready standalone version out of the code that the lovely people at Spotify put online...until that day though, Spotify is just a place where I compile songs I wish I could listen to.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've ended up on Hype Machine following a few blogs and such; discovered Kitsune Noir's mixcasts via Absolute Horrorshow (I think), so that's more new music. I've also flicked through RYM's genres lists because I know I don't listen to the blues as much as I would like to mainly because my knowledge ends and begins with Muddy Waters and Eric Clapton. So yeah, long story short - I have some places now thanks to you guys.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When bands do covers of other bands that I don't know, I usually check out the original song, if I like it I'll look at their other songs.
    Or bands get suggested to me in conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Got it, yes; does it work? No. It's the fault of my OS running Ubuntu which means I have to emulate Windows with WINE, which has some issues with Spotify and sound - so, I can listen to about three songs (of skipping CD quality) and then it cuts out. I'm hoping people will have the sense to make a Linux-ready standalone version out of the code that the lovely people at Spotify put online...until that day though, Spotify is just a place where I compile songs I wish I could listen to.
    I don't know anything about Ubuntu but I assumed you set it up according to this ? I don't want to patronise you or anything but every little helps. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Hype machine and last fm
    But recently there seems to be a lack of any decent new bands so i've found myself going back in time and listening to the oldies :p:

ReputationRep:
    Drowned In Sound is good, but you could also go to allmusic.com and just put in an artist you like and then it will provide some artists that are like them, their influences, side-projects they may be doing and so on...... and then you just take a gamble on something.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've ended up on Hype Machine following a few blogs and such; discovered Kitsune Noir's mixcasts via Absolute Horrorshow (I think), so that's more new music. I've also flicked through RYM's genres lists because I know I don't listen to the blues as much as I would like to mainly because my knowledge ends and begins with Muddy Waters and Eric Clapton. So yeah, long story short - I have some places now thanks to you guys.
    A few amazing blues artists:

Robert Johnson
    Skip James
    Blind Willie McTell

And many more, but those three are good ones to start with.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.