Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims Are Taking Over The World? watch

ReputationRep:
    They aren't taking over Israel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    NONSENSE NONSENSE NONSENSE.

There is NOTHING wrong with stereotyping. Stereotyping is an absolute necessity in life, because we just don't have time nor energy to look at each case individually and make a decision for everybody on the planet. When you stereotype, especially about religious people who allow the same creed to dictate their lives to them, you are bound to be right about the vast majority of the group to which you are referring. You won't get them all right, but you will get the vast majority.
    There's approximately 2 billion Muslims in the world (even if that's wrong, let's stick with that). Now we'll apply the terrorist sterotype. By your logic that a stereotype is "bound to right about the vast majority of the group", we can thus conclude that there are over 1 billion terrorists in the world. Your powers of deduction never cease to amaze me.

Not stereotyping does not mean you are thus obliged to carefully examine everyone on the planet, as you seem to think for some odd reason. All it means is that if you meet for example a Muslim guy, all you do is judge him based on your encounter with him; you don't apply half-baked stereotypes. I know you'd okay with any atrocities against religion, but surely you must realise that stereotyping you condone so much is used far more as a weapon against gay people, low-income people etc. than it is religious people.

Also, we're both atheists, and my views are very different to yours. I wouldn't want any negative sterotypes that people like you create about atheists to affect me. Even though 99% of people at my school do not believe in God whatsoever (there's like 4 religious people in my year group of 130), a TINY number of people at my school refer to themselves as atheists because the stereotype that atheists are all smartass, religion-hating crackpots (i.e. you, Phugoid) is so prevalent where I live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexusofsanity)
    There's approximately 2 billion Muslims in the world (even if that's wrong, let's stick with that). Now we'll apply the terrorist sterotype. By your logic that a stereotype is "bound to right about the vast majority of the group", we can thus conclude that there are over 1 billion terrorists in the world. Your powers of deduction never cease to amaze me.

Not stereotyping does not mean you are thus obliged to carefully examine everyone on the planet, as you seem to think for some odd reason. All it means is that if you meet for example a Muslim guy, all you do is judge him based on your encounter with him; you don't apply half-baked stereotypes. I know you'd okay with any atrocities against religion, but surely you must realise that stereotyping you condone so much is used far more as a weapon against gay people, low-income people etc. than it is religious people.

Also, we're both atheists, and my views are very different to yours. I wouldn't want any negative sterotypes that people like you create about atheists to affect me. Even though 99% of people at my school do not believe in God whatsoever (there's like 4 religious people in my year group of 130), a TINY number of people at my school refer to themselves as atheists because the stereotype that atheists are all smartass, religion-hating crackpots (i.e. you, Phugoid) is so prevalent where I live.

According to FBI files between 1980-2005, this is how Muslims fare in comparison to other groups in terms of terrorism in the United States
    http://www.fbi.gov/publications/terr...m2002_2005.htm scroll all the way to the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    why not???
    its human right, can have whatever religion they want
    and you might want to know why people are converting to Islam
    it might be something special that you all missed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexusofsanity)
    Not all stereotypes are worthy of use, that is clear. Some are quite obviously based on prejudice rather than experience or facts.

Applying sensible stereotypes, however, yields accurate results. For example, there are 2 billion muslims... let's apply the stereotype that muslims have a grudge against the West. That is a successful stereotype, and that fact should keep us weary of the Islamic world.

I was referring to stereotypes in general. There are plenty of sensible stereotypes of homosexuals and lower class people, and they hold rather well for the most part. For example, the stereotype that lower class people read the Sun and the Daily record will almost certainly ring true for the vast majority of working class families. And the stereotype that 'there's always a camp one and a normal one' for homosexual couples is another that almost certainly rings true for the vast majority of homosexual couples.

Stereotypes work. Political correctness doesn't.

The phenomenon to which you refer is not an incorrect stereotype - it is a correct stereotype, but with the wrong group of people. There is a stereotype that all anti-religionists are like me, and that stereotype is almost certainly true of most anti-religionists. This is simply a case of a correct stereotype being incorrectly applied the wrong group of people, rather than being the case of an incorrect stereotype as you suggested.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously guys, some of you believed that video?

It was quite obvious just from the intro that it was going to resort to scaremongering to convince you of the validity of it's claim.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that...Nazi-German ideology pointed toward the idea that Jews were taking over the world. Look how that turned out.

ReputationRep:
    ... let's apply the stereotype that muslims have a grudge against the West. That is a successful stereotype, and that fact should keep us weary of the Islamic world.
    Yes, muslims 'have a grudge against the west'.

What ********. Get your head out of the daily mail and start living life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zillyitem90)
    why not???
    its human right, can have whatever religion they want
    and you might want to know why people are converting to Islam
    it might be something special that you all missed

not many people are converting to Islam. Its because they are reproducing a hell of a lot faster, and then moving to the western nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    not many people are converting to Islam. Its because they are reproducing a hell of a lot faster, and then moving to the western nations.
    This is not the case with Latin America, lower Africa and parts of the Far East

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    How can they take over the world, if they can't even run their own indigenous countries.
    Exactly, name me one economically socially stable Islamic nation. Turkey is the only one that springs to mind, and even that's being quite lenient, considering Turkey is officially a secular state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    Exactly, name me one economically socially stable Islamic nation. Turkey is the only one that springs to mind, and even that's being quite lenient, considering Turkey is officially a secular state.
    Saudi, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    Saudi, maybe?
    I would hardly call Saudi socially stable. Its still one of the most oppressive nations towards non Muslims in the world. And economically, Saudi has nothing apart from oil, and when that runs out, there screwed. Really screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Exactly.
    They are a pretty ineffectual, uneducated and crude bunch.
    There's a reason why you've been neg'd so much.

ReputationRep:
    oh man..seriously, with that stupid American voice I can't take the vid seriously. What a whole load of bull crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    According to FBI files between 1980-2005, this is how Muslims fare in comparison to other groups in terms of terrorism in the United States
    http://www.fbi.gov/publications/terr...m2002_2005.htm scroll all the way to the bottom.

It'll be interesting how they collected the data to produce this chart.

*Knocks on door* "Excuse me sir, I'm with the FBI. Are you an extremist?"

"Umm, yep."

*Ticks chart* "Excellent sir. Right, GET ON THE GROUND!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KITANA91)
    I just stumbled across this video,
    and was wondering what your thoughts are on this?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKkY5EpVpY

Kinda scared me really...
    :rolleyes: Nice...

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    Not all stereotypes are worthy of use, that is clear. Some are quite obviously based on prejudice rather than experience or facts.

Applying sensible stereotypes, however, yields accurate results. For example, there are 2 billion muslims... let's apply the stereotype that muslims have a grudge against the West. That is a successful stereotype, and that fact should keep us weary of the Islamic world.
    Regardless of any proof you may spout, you also do not and cannot know without great difficulty for certain if that "grudge against the West" thing actually holds to be true for a vast majority of those 2 billion Muslims. Sure the Anti-west movements in Saudi or wherever might suggest such a thing, but it does not fully represent all the Muslims in those areas, and moreover it does not even begin to account for the far more numerous Muslim populations in India/China/Africa, of whose general opinions you don't really have a good idea of. The stereotype might hold true, it might not- so the statement is disregarded.

Your idea of "sensible" stereotypes is seriously worrying. I do not trust individuals to decide what qualifies as a "sensible" stereotype, and with good reason. Such as how you consider the "Muslims hate the West" to be a sensible stereotype- when in truth it may not be. In light of the fact that individuals cannot be trusted to decide what a "sensible" stereotype might be (if even there is such a thing), I propose no stereotyping. What an easy solution, eh?

I was referring to stereotypes in general. There are plenty of sensible stereotypes of homosexuals and lower class people, and they hold rather well for the most part. For example, the stereotype that lower class people read the Sun and the Daily record will almost certainly ring true for the vast majority of working class families. And the stereotype that 'there's always a camp one and a normal one' for homosexual couples is another that almost certainly rings true for the vast majority of homosexual couples.

Stereotypes work. Political correctness doesn't.
    Again with the idea of "sensible" stereotypes- just no. Is it really that difficult to judge individuals based on your actual encounter with them, rather than utilising any possible stereotypes you might have based on superficial details about them?

Stereotypes don't work. Political correctness doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    We need to stop these muslims comeing to our country...fast!
    stop? why the video said (its probably rubbish anyway but we'll go with it) that at the current non Muslim European fertility rate the European economy will be finished, so what's wrong with us coming over building and developing OUR economy and in the meantime grow TOGETHER in peace? the evolution and changing of cultures to accommodate changes in life isn't something unnatural or something to be scared of you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    :facepalm2:

So are you saying Pakistan is a terrorist country
    That would be a generalisation :yep:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.