Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never expected IB2 would be as painstakingly difficult as it is. It's a test of your bs abilities that are valuable... well, nowhere besides IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartmb)
    I just started I.B. last week and already I'm hating it! I have to do a 10 minute oral presentation on a poem, and I hate poetry so that'll be hard!

I take: English HL, Art SL, Georgraphy HL, Maths studies SL, E.S.S SL and French HL.
    im starting in august. im moving to Norway to do it.. is it really that hard? becouse im really nervus to starting. and would really love some information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemaa)
    im starting in august. im moving to Norway to do it.. is it really that hard? becouse im really nervus to starting. and would really love some information.
    Well first don't panic. Your greatest enemy is within you.
    For now I think you only need to start brainstorming your future e.g. the colleges you're aiming for, the majors you're aiming for etc..
    This would be helpful in your IB subject choices.

Also you should figure out your strengths in some academic subjects. Are you a math/science orientated person? or are you inclined with linguistics?
    In this way you will know the level (HL or SL) for each subject that you're going to take. Personally speaking of myself, I am rather a science/math-orientated person yet I chose to take 2 languages at A1 and A2 level. Although I ended up with a Bilingual Diploma, the scores from my A1 and A2 language courses did pull my total IB score down.

Also you should be resourceful at all times. Search for all past papers, sample paper responses from previous exams and sample assignments(e.g. extended essays samples). This can help you a lot in the coursework as you know what the marker wants. It also helps you to build a direction in how to approach some course works.

In addition, you should revise the learning materials routinely. For example, if you're taking a bus back home after finishing school everyday, try to use that time to recap the things you've learnt today. Do a quick revision(an hour) in every weekend so that the academic materials are stored in your head permanently(I still remember a majority of them after 3 months of taking the IB exams). This saves a lot time in revision time prior to the exams.

However, you should always be aware of the usefulness of what you've learnt during class time. Some inexperienced IB teachers will teach you academic topics that are out of the syllabus. Make sure you get a copy of the syllabus for every IB subject that you're gonna study. You should also be able to judge the quality of your teacher. Spend more time in engaging with a teacher who knows how to help you to succeed in a subject. Shut your ears to the teachers who bs all the time.

And again, you should start early to plan where're you heading after high school. All top American colleges require everyone to take the SATs/ACTs. If you're going to take them, don't leave it in your second year of IB or your scores would reflect how you procrastinated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colorization)
    Well first don't panic. Your greatest enemy is within you.
    For now I think you only need to start brainstorming your future e.g. the colleges you're aiming for, the majors you're aiming for etc..
    This would be helpful in your IB subject choices.

Also you should figure out your strengths in some academic subjects. Are you a math/science orientated person? or are you inclined with linguistics?
    In this way you will know the level (HL or SL) for each subject that you're going to take. Personally speaking of myself, I am rather a science/math-orientated person yet I chose to take 2 languages at A1 and A2 level. Although I ended up with a Bilingual Diploma, the scores from my A1 and A2 language courses did pull my total IB score down.

Also you should be resourceful at all times. Search for all past papers, sample paper responses from previous exams and sample assignments(e.g. extended essays samples). This can help you a lot in the coursework as you know what the marker wants. It also helps you to build a direction in how to approach some course works.

In addition, you should revise the learning materials routinely. For example, if you're taking a bus back home after finishing school everyday, try to use that time to recap the things you've learnt today. Do a quick revision(an hour) in every weekend so that the academic materials are stored in your head permanently(I still remember a majority of them after 3 months of taking the IB exams). This saves a lot time in revision time prior to the exams.

However, you should always be aware of the usefulness of what you've learnt during class time. Some inexperienced IB teachers will teach you academic topics that are out of the syllabus. Make sure you get a copy of the syllabus for every IB subject that you're gonna study. You should also be able to judge the quality of your teacher. Spend more time in engaging with a teacher who knows how to help you to succeed in a subject. Shut your ears to the teachers who bs all the time.

And again, you should start early to plan where're you heading after high school. All top American colleges require everyone to take the SATs/ACTs. If you're going to take them, don't leave it in your second year of IB or your scores would reflect how you procrastinated.
    hey. First of all thankyou you really helped.
    Couse im living in Gran canaria its diferent as in the school. now im in first year of college to put it like that. ive finished high school im now 17. so ill be joining IB in August.
    Im more of the languages i am fluent in english and spanish so probably get them both in HL.
    Ive been thinking to choose psicology SL. its been always something ive wanted to do.
    After IB i guess i would go onto UNI. but i need to start looking at universities to see the grades i need to get. If u have a site i could look at that would be great.
    Ive been reading that its very hard. over here they dont give you alot of homework so thats going to be hard at first to digest.
    But im shore ill be fine.
    what other subjects would you recommend. No im not into maths chem etc xD
    not my thing.
    But thanks for giving me advice helped me alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemaa)
    Im more of the languages i am fluent in english and spanish so probably get them both in HL.
    Good choice - if you're fluent in both then this will make the course a lot less pressured. English will be your A1 if you're in Norway, so be prepared to study a lot of literature and poetry. Ideally you would want this to be your stronger language

(Original post by Gemaa)
    Ive been thinking to choose psicology SL. its been always something ive wanted to do.
    Also a good choice. If it's something you've never done before, taking it at SL is the best option so that it's easier to change/drop. You will have a couple of months of time when you can switch HLs and SLs around if you're not enjoying them.

(Original post by Gemaa)
    After IB i guess i would go onto UNI. but i need to start looking at universities to see the grades i need to get. If u have a site i could look at that would be great.
    This depends where you want to go to uni. If it's in Norway, I'm afraid I can't help, but I know that a lot of Norwegians apply to UK universities, so if you're planning to do that, the UCAS website is your best option. http://www.ucas.ac.uk - It has a comprehensive list of all the courses, universities, and entry requirements on offer in the UK, and it's easy to navigate.

(Original post by Gemaa)
    Ive been reading that its very hard. over here they dont give you alot of homework so thats going to be hard at first to digest.
    This really depends on the school that you end up at. At my school (in the UK), we get a ridiculous amount of homework which I find quite hard to cope with. However last February we visited a Norwegian IB school in Stavanger (southern Norway), and the students there were really shocked at the amount of homework we got - they hardly got any. Realistically, it will be a pressured course because there is lots of revision and Internal Assessments, however the amount of homework you get can vary. I would advise you to prepare yourself for a lot, and then if you get less than you expected, it will be a bonus

(Original post by Gemaa)
    what other subjects would you recommend. No im not into maths chem etc xD
    not my thing.
    Here I'll just point out that in IB you have to do at least one Mathematics subject: either HL Maths, SL Maths, or Maths Studies. If you really don't like Maths, I would recommend Maths Studies, as this is essentially the easiest Maths course. I do Maths SL and it can be quite hard, but the Maths Studies class say that their course is easy and that it will give them easy 6/7s. So yeah, Maths Studies would be your best choice here

There is another option which isn't always available at some schools - Computer Science. This is in the same group as the Maths courses, so it could be something to consider if your school runs the course.

Also, you probably don't have to take Chemistry unless it's a compulsory subject at the school you go to, however you will have to take some form of science in Group 4. There are plenty of options available here - from Biology and Physics to more obscure sciences. Contact the school and ask for a full list of options so that you can make an informed decision - I'm sure you will be able to find the right combination of subjects for you.

If you need any more advice, please quote or PM me - I'm a second year IB student in the UK - HL: History, Geography, German B; SL: English A1, Mathematics, Biology.

ReputationRep:
    i am deffinatly dying!!!! i have just done 2 world lits in 1 day!!!!!!! its due in tomorrow.....so i still have a few hours to complete it!!! ahh im so last-min.com!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Im really excited about doing it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemaa)
    Im really excited about doing it !
    I'm not :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toblerone93)
    I'm not :p:
    Why do it then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemaa)
    Why do it then?
    I have got absolutely no idea to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    uuuggggghhhhh so many overdue assignments...I may already be dead :p:

ReputationRep:
    urgh. I'm taking the WORST subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstar)
    uuuggggghhhhh so many overdue assignments...I may already be dead :p:
    dont worry...your not the only one...our world lits are meant to be sent by tomorrow....and ome peopl in my class havent even read their world lit books.....=O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterieux26)
    urgh. I'm taking the WORST subjects

HL- Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
    SL- English A1, Chinese A2

About the workload.. Don't ask... And i'm not even supposed to be in chinese A2, but they wont let me drop! Which is why i'm dying. AND all my teachers are leaving at the end of Y1 and they ran out of EE supervisors so I have to get a 9th grade teacher.

Advise to anyone considering the similar subjects as me: DONT TAKE IT
    Err... just a thought but maybe you could consider like dropping one!!!
    If you are complaining that you are dying and you have 4HLs it's your own bloody fault lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sejal)
    dont worry...your not the only one...our world lits are meant to be sent by tomorrow....and ome peopl in my class havent even read their world lit books.....=O
    ooooh yeah...that sounds painful....

are we the only school in the world who haven't finished with syllabuses yet?? We still haven't finished Biology HL and Chemistry HL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstar)
    ooooh yeah...that sounds painful....

are we the only school in the world who haven't finished with syllabuses yet?? We still haven't finished Biology HL and Chemistry HL
    oh dont worry about that...seriously....we have had about maximum 25 french classes throughout the 2 years...our french teacher NEVER comes to class...then blames us for the crappy grades...oh well what can we do...? appart from study ourselves...but that really isnt helpful...as it is an entierly foreign language for us!
    so dont worry about not finishing your syllabus....we might not even be half way with the french one =S

ReputationRep:
    Hi was just wondering what is UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    suffering a tiny bit in history :/
    But love the rest of my classes and I shouldn't complain as I chose (the sheer awesomeness of :P) my schedule.
    Yep, still another year till I die =)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.