Turn on thread page Beta

Weight lifting with no weights.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Fitness Forum

I've been reading up on the benefits of weightlifting, well muscle building to be more accurate, and I was wondering if there are any exercises you can do which simulate the action of weights (i.e. using your own weight somehow). I think press-ups are one option but I'd like to hear some more ideas. Also, is it worth using tins of beans and the like? Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership at the moment.

About me:-
    My muscles are weak and underused but I think I have a mesomorphic build. I'm 5'6" and weigh just under 10st, which is in the "normal" BMI range but I know it's not healthy as my bodyfat ratio is probably quite high.

(I'm a girl incidentally)

EDIT - if it helps responses here are some more stats:-

Body Mass Index: 23.3 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.48
    Percent Body Fat: 27.0%
    Lean Body Mass: 102.2 lb

So you see it's OK, but not exactly looking good either. My Body Fat % is only in the 'acceptable' range and I want to be in the 'fitness' range. Also could do with reducing my waist a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Girls don't need to build muscle

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

/thread
    Well thanks for your informed input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Hello Fitness Forum

I've been reading up on the benefits of weightlifting, well muscle building to be more accurate, and I was wondering if there are any exercises you can do which simulate the action of weights (i.e. using your own weight somehow). I think press-ups are one option but I'd like to hear some more ideas. Also, is it worth using tins of beans and the like? Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership at the moment.

My muscles are weak and underused but I think I have a mesomorphic build. I'm 5'6" and weigh just under 10st, which is in the "normal" BMI range but I know it's not healthy as my bodyfat ratio is probably quite high.

To be honest it sounds like an okay build but you really can't tell without pictures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Do be honest it sounds like an okay build but you really can't tell without pictures.
    Ok, I'm not solely concerned with appearance here. I want to cut down fat in my body and build muscle so I am stronger and healthier. It is an OK build but I want to improve my well-being.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm not solely concerned with appearance here. I want to cut down fat in my body and build muscle so I am stronger and healthier. It is an OK build but I want to improve my well-being.
    Lunges and pistol squats for your legs

Push-ups, chin-ups and bicycle curls for upper body.

That would be a fair start

ReputationRep:
    Hello Fitness Forum

Press ups, sit ups, pull ups and unweighted squats would all be good I'd of thought. Running or sports. I guess as you're a girl, you're probably not looking to get 'guns', so you don't need the big weights (no expert though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Lunges and pistol squats for your legs

Push-ups, chin-ups and bicycle curls for upper body.

That would be a fair start
    Same as this right:-

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../name/air-bike

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good routine for all-over muscle building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    Press ups, sit ups, pull ups and unweighted squats would all be good I'd of thought. Running or sports. I guess as you're a girl, you're probably not looking to get 'guns', so you don't need the big weights (no expert though).
    Well, no. But then I believe it is hard for women to build 'guns' without additional testosterone supplements or steroids. That said I do already have quite broad shoulders due to being a meso shape, so yeah I'm not that keen on looking too butch.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no. But then I believe it is hard for women to build 'guns' without additional testosterone supplements or steroids. That said I do already have quite broad shoulders due to being a meso shape, so yeah I'm not that keen on looking too butch.
    Yer, you're probably right. As I said I'm no expert on female fitness.

Does look good to see toned girls though. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Pull ups, chin ups, dips, press ups, handstand press ups, crunches, hanging leg raise.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good routine for all-over muscle building?
    Look up 'compound' excercises for that. Compound excercising is when you use multiple muscle groups at once, rather than focusing on an isolated muscle.

ReputationRep:
    you can do everything you need with a barbell

ReputationRep:
    http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11058

Who needs weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11058

Who needs weights?
    Anyone who wants to seriously add muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Pullups, Chinups, Crunches, Pressups and Squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

/thread
    I know, they just need to tone up!

Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm joking... btw

ReputationRep:
    well you wouldn't be weight lifting, you'd just be lifting.

BRUM BUM CHI!

ReputationRep:
    What are you measurements (you said you wanted to reduce your waist a bit)? I am 32% body fat and wanna be 20-25%

Anyway, I would suggest press ups, any ab exercises, squats, lunges etc. Why not use weights? It's a myth that women shouldn't use big weights...they don't have enough testosterone in the body to bulk up like a man (those female BBers you see are steroided up). If you don't have access to a gym or something, buy a pair of dumbbells might be a good idea.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.