Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight lifting with no weights.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Fitness Forum

I've been reading up on the benefits of weightlifting, well muscle building to be more accurate, and I was wondering if there are any exercises you can do which simulate the action of weights (i.e. using your own weight somehow). I think press-ups are one option but I'd like to hear some more ideas. Also, is it worth using tins of beans and the like? Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership at the moment.

About me:-
    My muscles are weak and underused but I think I have a mesomorphic build. I'm 5'6" and weigh just under 10st, which is in the "normal" BMI range but I know it's not healthy as my bodyfat ratio is probably quite high.

(I'm a girl incidentally)

EDIT - if it helps responses here are some more stats:-

Body Mass Index: 23.3 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.48
    Percent Body Fat: 27.0%
    Lean Body Mass: 102.2 lb

So you see it's OK, but not exactly looking good either. My Body Fat % is only in the 'acceptable' range and I want to be in the 'fitness' range. Also could do with reducing my waist a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Girls don't need to build muscle

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

/thread
    Well thanks for your informed input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Hello Fitness Forum

I've been reading up on the benefits of weightlifting, well muscle building to be more accurate, and I was wondering if there are any exercises you can do which simulate the action of weights (i.e. using your own weight somehow). I think press-ups are one option but I'd like to hear some more ideas. Also, is it worth using tins of beans and the like? Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership at the moment.

My muscles are weak and underused but I think I have a mesomorphic build. I'm 5'6" and weigh just under 10st, which is in the "normal" BMI range but I know it's not healthy as my bodyfat ratio is probably quite high.

To be honest it sounds like an okay build but you really can't tell without pictures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Do be honest it sounds like an okay build but you really can't tell without pictures.
    Ok, I'm not solely concerned with appearance here. I want to cut down fat in my body and build muscle so I am stronger and healthier. It is an OK build but I want to improve my well-being.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm not solely concerned with appearance here. I want to cut down fat in my body and build muscle so I am stronger and healthier. It is an OK build but I want to improve my well-being.
    Lunges and pistol squats for your legs

Push-ups, chin-ups and bicycle curls for upper body.

That would be a fair start

ReputationRep:
    Hello Fitness Forum

Press ups, sit ups, pull ups and unweighted squats would all be good I'd of thought. Running or sports. I guess as you're a girl, you're probably not looking to get 'guns', so you don't need the big weights (no expert though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Lunges and pistol squats for your legs

Push-ups, chin-ups and bicycle curls for upper body.

That would be a fair start
    Same as this right:-

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../name/air-bike

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good routine for all-over muscle building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    Press ups, sit ups, pull ups and unweighted squats would all be good I'd of thought. Running or sports. I guess as you're a girl, you're probably not looking to get 'guns', so you don't need the big weights (no expert though).
    Well, no. But then I believe it is hard for women to build 'guns' without additional testosterone supplements or steroids. That said I do already have quite broad shoulders due to being a meso shape, so yeah I'm not that keen on looking too butch.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no. But then I believe it is hard for women to build 'guns' without additional testosterone supplements or steroids. That said I do already have quite broad shoulders due to being a meso shape, so yeah I'm not that keen on looking too butch.
    Yer, you're probably right. As I said I'm no expert on female fitness.

Does look good to see toned girls though. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Pull ups, chin ups, dips, press ups, handstand press ups, crunches, hanging leg raise.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good routine for all-over muscle building?
    Look up 'compound' excercises for that. Compound excercising is when you use multiple muscle groups at once, rather than focusing on an isolated muscle.

ReputationRep:
    you can do everything you need with a barbell

ReputationRep:
    http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11058

Who needs weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11058

Who needs weights?
    Anyone who wants to seriously add muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Pullups, Chinups, Crunches, Pressups and Squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

/thread
    I know, they just need to tone up!

Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm joking... btw

ReputationRep:
    well you wouldn't be weight lifting, you'd just be lifting.

BRUM BUM CHI!

ReputationRep:
    What are you measurements (you said you wanted to reduce your waist a bit)? I am 32% body fat and wanna be 20-25%

Anyway, I would suggest press ups, any ab exercises, squats, lunges etc. Why not use weights? It's a myth that women shouldn't use big weights...they don't have enough testosterone in the body to bulk up like a man (those female BBers you see are steroided up). If you don't have access to a gym or something, buy a pair of dumbbells might be a good idea.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.